solar panels

Captain mikey

Guest Tracker

First and least expensive would be a second leisure battery.

You don't say how long you stay put and how many miles in between you might travel on average to recharge the battery(ies)?

Hello Capt. I'm still trying to convince myself it's worthwhile fitting them......

Fitted leds in the "lounge" when first got the van and was set to get solar panels but then realised that when I would probably need them - winter - there wouldn't be all that much light!

Used the van in winter over the New Year a couple of times - away for five nights without mains or any probs. Lights on, tv , cds and dvds played/used, also left o/side light on one night ( that's not led yet, along with the "bathroom")

We have two leisure batteries, there's mains to the van all the time at home and of course they are charged when driving along to where ever.

I keep saying that I'll trial a "battery only event" until the voltage drops to 11 volts (fitted a dvm) as a confidence check, but it hasn't happened yet!

Guest Tracker
Unless you have high power drain items like 12v aircon or eberspacher diesel heating I doubt your battery use will be that much higher in winter than in summer - unless you watch a lot of TV and strat earlier when it gets dark?

Hi Mike,

We have just had our first holiday since having our solar panel fitted (not sure of the spec) but it is quite big and is a semi flexible one (as we used on our boat before) as it is stuck to the roof (and therefore "invisible" to any passers by who might show an interest in it....) and can be walked on. It also means you don't get the "dirt traps" and windage, however slight, that you would from a rigid panel.

Our batteries were kept fully charged throughout the 3 weeks we were away and we were only on a site for a couple of days. Very pleased indeed with the performance and not having to worry about which light to use etc...

B-)

Captain mikey - 2010-09-04 4:33 PM

Hi.

We are thinking of getting a solar panel for our 'van. Basic Cls etc, all year, using lights (possibly LEDS), TV and a few other bits. We would be grateful for any comments please.

Mike and Joy

Hi

Fitted a 200w Solar panel last year to my R-V, (which are particularly "power hungry") It is stood outside at the moment without electric on and the batteries are fully charged (All 5 x 110aH), we went to 4 festivals/Shows this past August, one lasting a full week without electric. and I used the genny twice, both times so SWMBO could "do" her hair. It also keeps her mobilty scooter charged too (via the Inverter).

If you go this route remember , you NEED a good charge controller, to keep the batteries "fresh" and a good "boost" charge via an "intelligent" charger, NOT the ones fitted to UK vans which are only "maintenance" chargers, periodically.

hope this is of help?

pete

Captain mikey - 2010-09-04 4:33 PM

Hi.

We are thinking of getting a solar panel for our 'van. Basic Cls etc, all year, using lights (possibly LEDS), TV and a few other bits. We would be grateful for any comments please.

Mike and Joy

Hi Mike & Joy, we are real fans of Solar Panels we have a 85 watt been fitted for 5 years now and worth every penny, we have just had 6 weeks touring Scotland with a mixture of Rally's and Wild Camping, in the 6 weeks we were only on electric for 3 nights and had no trouble at all we used our Lap top / Television and I used my hair dryer when ever I needed it so think they are worth every penny. Carol.

Archived