So you have ordered your new van paid the deposit and???

weldted

Went to the NEC show in Feb 2010, wanted to change ort then two year old van for an automatic. Choice came down to two similar spec vans with a Swift Bessacar E765P with the 3 litre + Comformatic option, the other an Autotrail. Present van Bessacar E765P. The new one would have been our third 765P and our fourth new Swift since 2000. Just prior to placing the order I enquired from the Dealer when would be the delivery date as an extended holiday was planned with some other campers. Dealer rang Swift, Swift quoted end of Sept/early Oct 2010. based on that information and a deal for the px on our present van order placed deposit paid. During late March I had cause to contact Swift with a query about the Tracker System fitted to the new van, at the time of reply no mention was made re the non delivery of the new van.

as Time went by and a trip to New York coming up and as we would not be returning until mid Sept I removed the accessories fitted to our van. As we use the van a lot and mostly wild camp the list of extras is quite comprehensive, among the items removed, six Solar Panels, Mppt Regulator, built in lpg powered Telair 2.5kw Genny, Qyster auto sat system, underslung 55 litre gas tank, standby bottle with auto changeover system, 50 amp B2B charger, mains high output 40 amp charger, 2 kw inverter with auto change over system, three 110 amp leisure batteries, Alpine in dash nav system and reversing camera, GP 800 Tracker, etc etc. In June I e mailed Swift to check on the delivery date to tie it in with the New York trip to which I received no reply. I mailed again and two weeks later I received a phone call late on a Friday afternoon form a David Williams form Swift to say ( I am very sorry you appear to have slipped through the net but we will not be making your van as this model is being discontinued. Just looked on the Swift Bessacar Web site 22:20 04/09/2010 this model is still being advertised for sale with the upgraded engine and the comformatic option. He said he would phone me back on the Monday but failed to do so. After several phone calls I managed to speak to him again all he offered was if I was to choose another model from their range he would try to work a price. As you can see from the equipment carried we need the space and payload, the next model down does not have the space, and the next model up will not fit into our newly built garage to keep the van in. We drove over 300 miles to look at other vans in their ranges and makes. I then contacted the Dealer to see about a deal on the Autotrail but he said I would have to find an extra £6,500 as I had lost the advantage of the show offers and our van was that much older. A Simon Hyde phoned me to say the David Williams had now left the company and he was now dealing with it. By now with the gap financally being to big to change the van I had now fitted all the accessories back on our van which incurred some 42 hours in total, and am making arrangement to travel to Southampton to have an Auto Clutch fitted. I told Simon that I felt Swift should compensate me for the failure to honour their agreement to supply the Dealer with the van that they had quoted a delivery date to me, all the time and trouble removing and refitting the parts on my van, having to mess around travelling to look at other vans and having to have the auto clutch fitter which is not the ideal option as I really wanted he proper auto. Swift declined to do so, all they said was if (Ha Ha) I was to buy another new van from them they would do their best to work out a price but no figures were mentioned, this from a Firm that if they had honoured their commitment to supply the said van I would have invested in excess of £160,000 in the last ten years and the fact that they delayed for so long before informing me of their failure to honour their side of the deal I had lost the chance to have bought the Autotrail unless I would come up with another £6,500. so when ordering a new van beware the Customer is way down the list. I have no problems with the dealer side of it they have done their best to sort it out it is all down to Swift who I thought it is a British Maker buy British oops!!

I realise Swift may be the real problem, but you say you have no problem with the dealer! So what have they done since getting your deposit? sat at a desk with their feet up having a fag( oh sorry no smoking aloud at work now), as for not allowing 'show offers' against the autotrail, bulls**t, if the offer is availible at a show it's availible anytime they want to sell a van.

Guest Tracker

A sorry tale indeed and our sympathies but it just reinforces my cynical old point of view about Swift and it's trading attitudes.

NEVER try and deal with Swift.

NEVER buy a Swift product - even used - in fact given their parts supply reputation - especially never used!

NEVER buy anything you can't see try and approve.

I sincerely hope that anyone considering buying a new Swift van will now decide to spend their hard earned somewhere else because a boycott is the only way that Swift management will learn to start trading with integrity.

One day maybe they will learn to understand that the bottom line profit is only a short term aim and only half of the story if the bad publicity costs future customers?

I suggest you email them a link to this thread - I would!

Guest JudgeMental
And why for my next van I will endeavour to buy one that is in stock as opposed to a factory order.....In a recession you really can not be to careful anything can happen :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-09-05 2:11 PM

And why for my next van I will endeavour to buy one that is in stock as opposed to a factory order.....In a recession you really can not be to careful anything can happen :-S

We've "only" bought 2 new vans and they've both been stock vehicles. I'd never dream of buying from order, having read the sorry tale above it just confirms it.

Sorry nonetheless though :'(

Martyn

Guest pelmetman
This kind of sharp practice has gone on for years, I still have the letters my father inlaw wrote to Marquis when they tried to increase the price of the van he ordered at a show *-) .......................nothing changes 8-)

this is one of the reasons I have not named the Dealer, the first they new about the fact that Swift were not going to make my van was when I told them, The salesman showed me his diary with an entry to check on my delivery date for my new van van thefollowing week, and as I turned up unnanounced he did not know I was coming, they also said that they had not had this situation before and had rung around the country to see if anyone not just their dealerships had a new or exdemo in stock, dont forget the dealer has lost money on the sale as well price quoted at the show in Febuary £63,000, some of that is the ealers profit. One of my arguments is had I been advised earlier and been told of a similar layout to ours to be produced on the tagaxle version If I had been prepard to go down that route when building my garage I could have possibly made it longer but noe it is too late, and I did not really want the heavier running costs associated with the tag axle model. also our van has devalued as it was in Febuary when the deal was done and July when the final crunch came.

Bad news Ted!  Your contract is with the supplying dealer, and that is where the legal obligation to compensate you begins and ends.  Swift may have a moral (which it seems they may have some difficulty spelling! :-)) obligation, but that isn't worth squat diddly in your circumstances.  Examine your order with the dealer very closely to see what it says about cancellation.  My guess is that the dealer will claim force majeur, in that they have no effective power over Swift's production decisions, and the order will be on the the standard SMMT form of contract that has more get out clauses than firm commitments.  If you are really ratty about this, and the order is not completely clear on the dealers liability, go to Trading Standards and seek their advice.

I know you admonished me before for giving this advice, but the legal obligation is with the dealer under UK law, and you can't get at Swift contractually - only the dealer can do this, which is why the standard contract is one sided.  Sorry, but that is just the way it is.

Sorry to hear your sad tale...i`ve always been a firm believer in if you cant take it with you there and then dont buy it or put a huge deposit on it,i always try to buy a pre registered ex demo model thats on the forecourt and can be seen and driven away,probably not possible with your particular van i know...i also think a lot of the blame should be laid firmly on the dealers doorstep not just swift.

It is sad to see a company like Swift being slated for the quality of their products.

We have owned 2 Swift caravans an early Corniche and a slightly younger Challenger, nothing went wrong with either.

No problems with quality a few years ago. What went wrong?

thank you for your input Brian you are correct from a legal point re who the contract is with i:e: the Dealer,and you are right there re plenty of get out clauses. I thought stick with the make you know, as you could find faults over a large rang of makes and models, But the problems go on. I waited nearly six moths to have a third habitation door fitted the second one had to be replaced beacause the gas strut was to strong when openong the door causing the door to delaminate, third door fitted with different gas strut. Shopping on Saturday loading shopping hab door swings shut on slight breeze caught hand in door, blood all down the door black fingernail. Could have been worse Grandaughter had just gone through the door ahead of me, Twelve moths for a toilet fly screen six moths for a ladder catch six monts for a door!! And I had ordered another Swift, never again, Talk about treated like Sh**t.

Trading Standards have just asked me for some more details over this matter so we will see. When I sighned the contract with the dealer i was told before signing that it was a legally binding contract (binding me but obviously not them) Whilst I can understand if the Maker does not make it they cant sell it, but I wonder where I would be if I had just rung up and cancelled the van after four months??

Archived