Garlieston cc site info

ips

Off to bonny scotland on saturday staying at garliston cc site for 4 days. Have posted previously about the site (any good etc etc) but now need to know are there any gift shops, clothes shops, take aways, spar etc etc in the village / town. Mrs ips needs to know how much stuff to take and I want to plan for a chinese or indian take away at some point.....oh and are there any restaurants, good uns not pubs or greasy spoons

Thanks

The harbour side of the site is ok, very relaxing site, its a very quiet area.

There is a village shop - limited stock/product range as you may expect.

I would suggest you stock up prior to going but stuff like bread and milk,newspapers etc you will be ok.

err! Takeaways !!! you might have to do a few miles ( unless any have appeared over last couple of years, pubs ok had some good meals in that part of the country

Not sure where you are coming from but if coming from the east ie: from England last "major" town with supermarkets etc is Dumfries, going the other way its Stranraer

We have been here a few times, also next CC site along coast - New England Bay, very underrated part of Scotland, hope you enjoy your holiday

roger s - 2010-09-06 12:56 PM

The harbour side of the site is ok, very relaxing site, its a very quiet area.

There is a village shop - limited stock/product range as you may expect.

I would suggest you stock up prior to going but stuff like bread and milk,newspapers etc you will be ok.

err! Takeaways !!! you might have to do a few miles ( unless any have appeared over last couple of years, pubs ok had some good meals in that part of the country

Not sure where you are coming from but if coming from the east ie: from England last "major" town with supermarkets etc is Dumfries, going the other way its Stranraer

We have been here a few times, also next CC site along coast - New England Bay, very underrated part of Scotland, hope you enjoy your holiday

Roger,

Thanks for the informative reply thats exactly what I needed to know. Will inform mrs ips to stock up. Looks like my takeaway plan is out the window.

ian

Nice site, but not much by way of facilities locally. One pub in the village, basic pub menu. 2 shops - one has a good range for its size. Also a fish van calls at the site once a week (?Weds) - not sure if only peak season though. There's a small Sainsburys in Newton Stewart - and I think the Kirroughtree Hotel there is supposed to have an OK restaurant, but we've not been.

Great pub down in Isle of Whithorn - food looked good, but again didn't eat. Excellent range of beer for the area.

There's a C&CC CS in the village (Garlieston Lodge?) which advertises it sells rare-breed free-range pork, if that helps!

Ah one of the test harbours for WW2 Mulberry Harbour. See one of the concrete floatations washed up on the shore opposite and whats left of one of the steel sections in the sea just round the coast.

Few shops, one Hotel but very tranquil.

Take your fishing rod (teliscopic Motorhome friendly) and fish from the harbour when below, when tides in.

Yes there is fish there, check the small bridge on the site and watch the fish in the stream that come in.

If you like crabs, well small ones, let your boiled ham glazed hook tetter on the harbour bottom. loads every cast.

Good Luck..

Archived