anyone use a smartphone to surf on their travels?

duetto owner

Our laptop is showing its age as is our satnav.

does anyone use a smartphone with internet and sat nav in lieu of a net book.

been looking at the samsung galaxy S with a 4 inch screen has built in satnav and a good internet allowance [£30 per month 900 mins phone calls and 1gb internet use].

whats your views thinking of going on "3" network as they offer the best deal price wise if set up from carphone warehouse stores.

our present mobile is very old too and just handles phone calls.

Yes, we use a HTC Hero, a staggeringly good phone in my opinion. The deal you mention is easily beatable though and you wouldn't need to go through Carphone Warehouse to achieve it neither.

I've only ever used Orange, (13 years) so I can't make comparisons with other networks. I've never had an issue with them whatsoever.

There really is no need for a laptop, sat nav and camera for us anymore when 1 piece of kit does the job admirably - repeat, for us.

Martyn

duetto owner - 2010-09-07 11:31 AM

LordThornber

thanks still undecided on a samsung galaxy S or a HTC desire phone

how much internet allowance on your contract? orange are offering 500mb of surf time each month half of what "3" offers.

do you get good coverage with orange.

I get 500mb on my contract and it's easily 20 times too much for me, I use it every day for the Web, sat nav, google maps etc and e-mails.

Orange coverage is superb and is only going to get better if you see the press releases today about it's tie up with T Mobile. Have a look at Orange's website if you can't find it.

My contract should have been £30 In Jan, (millions of mins/txts). I got it for £27, (10% Council staff discount), you can get the same, (or similar), contract now for not much more than £20 with other service providers. But whether their coverage/customer service is as good, that's up to you.

Martyn

HTC Tattoo here with Vodafone. Works brilliantly in the UK but I am too tight to leave the 3g internet access turned on in France. Its cheaper to purchase a PAYG dongle for the Notebook. Oh and the HTC Tattoo also works as a dongle for the Notebook as well. Iphone users have only just been given this option.

c.

I've used a HTC TyTn11 in the past loaded with Garmin Mobile and it worked fine as a combination (only stopped using as I changed Mobile contract and ended up with a new phone and then couldn't be bothered to keep the Quick GPS updated).

However I've resurected the TyTn11 this week following a problem with my Garmin Nuvii on our last trip and intend getting an Orange PAYG Sim.

Cant comment on surfing the net with a mobile other than I dont personaly like it , always seems too slow and I dont like looking at content on small screens.

(That said I've got a iPod Touch and like the concept of how you can zoom pages in and out - in fact I do use the Touch randomly at home off my WiFi when I cant be bothered to fire up the laptop.)

well got the HTC Desire on "3" network [also links up to orange & tmobile for best signal at no extra cost].

well impressed with the very fast internet and the quality of the screen, spent last few days going through the 211 page pdf manual to learn the bits

nice surprises i have found are the calander that i now use as a diary, the alarm clock function, smart dial functions, sync with gmail via home wifi.

not found the free sat nav [called pilot, can only find one with a similar name that you pay for]everyone talks about but there is a basic satnav in google maps i have not tested this yet. no need to get a net book now very happy with this new toy.

Archived