Well done Cranham

Madmaggott

Despite the fact that they are more than 300 miles away from our home, we decided to buy our 'new' van from Cranham.

About 6 weeks or so later we discovered an old water leak near the water pump; phoned Cranham to tell them about it and that it should have been picked up during the habitation check and also to say that we were taking it to our nearest dealer for attention.  It was not covered under warranty and we paid about £15 or so for the part and around £16 for the fitting.

We sent the invoice to Cranham last week.

Came home from a weekend away and the cheque from Cranham was in the postbox.  No quibble, no ifs or buts, just a prompt payment.  Execellent.

Now I know it was just a small sum but I feel that this was worthy of mention as I would have very quickly posted on here if I had received poor customer service.

Well done Cranham.

Hi

Madmaggot

We looked around Cranham when we was searching for a van they did seem quite good in there, as you say it was only a small problem but they dealt with it well, glad to hear it.

How you getting on with your 696

Cheers

Dawki

Hi Dawki, we love the van, it was worth trecking to the other side of the country to get the layout that we wanted.  A N Other extremely large dealer had one a year older and 500 dearer on a Merc which we did give a lot of consideration because of the Fiat 'judder' but it had wheelchair stickers on the garage doors and there were unsightly white patches clearly visable on the interior photos which looked like handrails had been fitted and removed. Also, they offered the poorest trade-in price of any we talked to. 

We had decided to inspect the Fiat and give it a good trial in reverse, if it was not satisfactory we would have driven over to look at the Merc 'in the flesh'!

The only compromises were that we wanted a spare wheel and I would really have liked a large fridge/freezer.  We got over the 1st by putting the spare in the garage and .................... I really miss my freezer lol!

My OH is 6'2" tall so he loves the super sized bed and the mattress is very comfy, although bedding is proving to be a bit of a problem as my king sized linen is only just big enough.  I think I'll try 2 single fitted sheets if I can find some long enough or I might make some pillow case style from old duvets. 

Guest JudgeMental
I find these kind of posts astonishing. "well done" for missing something that should have been obvious to anyone if they had checked the van properly........What else have they missed I wonder.*-)

Madmaggott - 2010-09-07 10:08 AMHi Dawki, we love the van, it was worth trecking to the other side of the country to get the layout that we wanted.  A N Other extremely large dealer had one a year older and 500 dearer on a Merc which we did give a lot of consideration because of the Fiat 'judder' but it had wheelchair stickers on the garage doors and there were unsightly white patches clearly visable on the interior photos which looked like handrails had been fitted and removed. Also, they offered the poorest trade-in price of any we talked to. 

We had decided to inspect the Fiat and give it a good trial in reverse, if it was not satisfactory we would have driven over to look at the Merc 'in the flesh'!

The only compromises were that we wanted a spare wheel and I would really have liked a large fridge/freezer.  We got over the 1st by putting the spare in the garage and .................... I really miss my freezer lol!

My OH is 6'2" tall so he loves the super sized bed and the mattress is very comfy, although bedding is proving to be a bit of a problem as my king sized linen is only just big enough.  I think I'll try 2 single fitted sheets if I can find some long enough or I might make some pillow case style from old duvets. 

Glad to hear you like the van.we also love the rear bed but had the same linen problem wasn'nt sure wether to get to single sheets or a super king size went for the super king size and they fit perfect.CheersDawki

JudgeMental - 2010-09-07 11:12 AMI find these kind of posts astonishing. "well done" for missing something that should have been obvious to anyone if they had checked the van properly........What else have they missed I wonder.*-)

Judge, I would have very quickly posted about it if I had received bad service and I know that people worry about buying from a dealer located some distance from home.  I thought it might reassure them somewhat to know that it need not be a problem.

As I see it there are 2 points to this:

1) initial bad service due to the fault not being found originally especially when they knew you were travelling 300 miles to collect the van!

2) quick refund of money when the problem was identified and they paid the bill after you'd had it rectified.

I'm with the judge on this - it shouldn't have been there in the first place so I don't think praising them is correct just because they paid the bill, they basically didn't have much choice - this doesn't make it GOOD service, just service.

Good service would have been for the fault to have been found and rectified before you collected it and you wouldn't ever have needed to be aware of it. :-S

Sorry but I don't agree.

Having been in business ourselves we realise that everyone is human and errors do occur at times; how those errors are put right is just as important as being as thorough and efficient as possible in the first instance.

This was a very slight leak that happened only when the pump was working and forcing water through.  We had gone over the vehicle ourselves and had also used it for 3 weekends before we spotted it so feel it is understandable that it was overlooked initially.

Whilst it would be nice to claim perfection in all things and Mel and Judge are lucky to seemingly be able to do so, I'm afraid I and most folk that I know fall short of this.

Madmaggott - 2010-09-08 6:38 PMWhilst it would be nice to claim perfection in all things and Mel and Judge are lucky to seemingly be able to do so, I'm afraid I and most folk that I know fall short of this.

And where in my posting did I claim that? 8-)

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-09-08 9:05 PM
Madmaggott - 2010-09-08 6:38 PMWhilst it would be nice to claim perfection in all things and Mel and Judge are lucky to seemingly be able to do so, I'm afraid I and most folk that I know fall short of this.

And where in my posting did I claim that? 8-)
Or me..... :-S a tad arrogent me thinks. I have had a few problems and the way the dealer responds is the key here, this post is indicitive of the lamentable expectations in the UK and why I will continue to buy in Europe

Archived