If you were designing your own motorhome what features would you add?

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

I suspect this question might of been asked before.

I like the idea of an end bathroom with of course a magazine rack for a copy of my MMM (lol)

Dave B-)

Guest JudgeMental
michele - 2010-09-06 10:55 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-09-06 10:38 PM

a Jacuzzi and a brothel..........

is that all judge :D sure the jacuzzi would fit at the front and the ladys at the back :D

OK....... perhaps slightly conservative...

+ an Indian takeaway and an of-licence or free bar?

Guest JudgeMental
BGD - 2010-09-07 12:31 PM

Gas locker big enough for two large bottles.

fit a large gas tank underneath...Marvin are you always such a misery guts? :D

Guest Tracker

Reverse gear that works as it should

Good design and decent build quality - no crappy wafer thin panels or doors or handles that fall off or underfloor tanks so low they hit the ground off road or washrroms you can only use when the door is open or kitchens with no workspace or beds too hard to sleep on or lounge seats too upright or too short to relax on or ...............................................?

How about a button on the dash that when you press it gives an electric shock to a random member of the chassis 'customer service' personnel?

Could be linked in to a vibration sensor or the engine management light. In any case; that person then has to call YOU on the phone within 30 minutes or they will get another shock, and these will increase in severity until you cancel the button to signify that you are once again satisfied with your purchase.

Maybe after a couple of hours it should start to electrocute the pullover wearing chairman of the firm.

Possibly a phrase-book of derogatory comments in Italian would be useful too.

Mmm. That should be at the back of the owners handbook.

Nick

Guest JudgeMental
euroserv - 2010-09-07 6:27 PM

How about a button on the dash that when you press it gives an electric shock to a random member of the chassis 'customer service' personnel?

Nick

not having problems with the 3 litre auto are we Nick....was hoping to get one soon :-S

JudgeMental - 2010-09-07 5:58 PM

You are describing a Westfalia.......bomb proof construction, but probably to grey and not chinzy enough for the UK market :-D

Just sold our Westfalia, a James Cook, and you are absolutely spot-on with that description.

Regards,

Tracker - 2010-09-07 5:50 PM Reverse gear that works as it should Good design and decent build quality - no crappy wafer thin panels or doors or handles that fall off or underfloor tanks so low they hit the ground off road or washrroms you can only use when the door is open or kitchens with no workspace or beds too hard to sleep on or lounge seats too upright or too short to relax on or ...............................................?

That sounds familiar surely not a Fiat based Swift by any chance .

JudgeMental - 2010-09-07 6:38 PM

euroserv - 2010-09-07 6:27 PM

Nick

not having problems with the 3 litre auto are we Nick....was hoping to get one soon :-S

Fear not sir, I remain completely confident that said vehicle is the absolute definition of wonderfulness. However; based on my recent problems with other Fiat's and Iveco's I have to suspect that the success was a complete fluke.

Fiat continue to demonstrate dazzling brilliance and shocking stupidity in equal measure.

Nick

Guest Tracker
kelly58 - 2010-09-08 11:38 AM
Tracker - 2010-09-07 5:50 PM Reverse gear that works as it should Good design and decent build quality - no crappy wafer thin panels or doors or handles that fall off or underfloor tanks so low they hit the ground off road or washrroms you can only use when the door is open or kitchens with no workspace or beds too hard to sleep on or lounge seats too upright or too short to relax on or ...............................................?

That sounds familiar surely not a Fiat based Swift by any chance .

You may well think that - I couldn't possibly comment!

Transit chassis with good engine performance

Fixed bed

Inboard fresh water tank

Insulated/heated grey water tank

Adequated sized 3 way fridge.

LED lighting

Solar Panel and 130W leisure battery

Gaslow Cylinder(s)

Cruise Control

Reversing Camera

Other stuff is cosmetic and/or a matter of personal choice and preference

Hope this helps

A trap door so I can empty the toilet cassette from inside the van without being seen and then just drive off. So saving me having to hump the bloody thing to the other side of the site to empty it. :D

Guest Peter James

fixed kingsize bed

I've made something similar, but mine goes widthways across the van over the wheelarch boxes it rests on, and is suspended by a ratchet strap at each of the 4 corners. (The X250 van is just the right width inside for a mattress to go lengthways, and has a strong rail at shoulder height to hang the bed from) So its only a minutes job to get the bed perfectly level with a spirit level, without faffing about trying to level up the van itself. I don't have any windows in the side to prevent this.

One of the things I didn't want is so many windows as it makes the van so hot, easier to break into, and easier for nosey parkers to stare into. The van is about the size of a room in a house that only has a window at one end about the size of the van windscreen. So I don't understand why so many vans are like greenhouses with windows all over the place, and even in the roof which must make the inside very hot? You wouldn't have windows in the roof at home, so why in a motorhome?

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2010-09-12 9:51 AM

You wouldn't have windows in the roof at home, so why in a motorhome?

We have a Glass roof to the sun lounge (lol) and windows in the roof :D

Peter James - 2010-09-12 9:51 AM

One of the things I didn't want is so many windows as it makes the van so hot. So I don't understand why so many vans are like greenhouses with windows all over the place, and even in the roof which must make the inside very hot?

You wouldn't have windows in the roof at home, so why in a motorhome?

Roof windows are commonly found in attic conversions. Absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as solar reflective glass is used. Exactly the same can be used in motorhomes (though not glass of course) and if yours doesn't have it, it's simple enough to fit.

I have a solar reflective blind in my kitchen as in summer it used to get hot. At £25 it proved to be money well spent keeping the heat out but lets the light in.

Archived