portable solar panels - doh omitted subject first time

ike

Hi Folks

We've seen a lot of caravan users recently with mobile/freestanding solar panels. We are MH owners but are considering buying a solar panel but don't really want to have one fitted permanently to the roof. I'd appreciate any info from MH (or caravan)owners who've gone down this route. There seems to be such a range out there. Big price differences too. We have two leisure batteries an 85w and a 115w connected in parallel. Does this make a difference to the size of  panel we need? Would both batteries need to be connected to the solar panel? Our power needs/desires are that our batteries be kept topped up to a level that would allow us to camp without hook up for say 2 weeks (or more) if possible. Our usage is fairly light eg lighting at night for 3-4 hours in winter, usual tap running, TV for no more than 1-2 hours a night and in winter be able to run our gas blown heating for as many hours as the cold dictates. I'm technically inept so please bear with me if these questions demonstrate a high level of ignorance!

regards ike

ps I've posed the same question on the Caravan matters forum but the MH forum is much more frequently used/ accessed so hopefully the usual good advice will be forthcoming. thanks

I've been using solar panels for over 10 years now, but in our case it helped keep batteries going when using an electic fridge, so a different type of usage to you.

Are you using your van as a caravan? i.e. not moving for 2+ weeks? if so then freestanding might make sence as you could angle towards sun.

ike

For winter use, the bigger the better, in fact the biggest that you can afford / fit / carry.

Beware of theft as a free-standing panel is a tempting object, especially when you are out and about.

For winter use with short days and cloudy conditions (possibly snow), it may well be that solar panels simply will not do, no matter how big they are.

Bigger batteries are a more certain solution and cheaper to boot.

Hi ike,

I had the same problem as you. My van (Burstner 747-2) is very tall and perfectly flat on top. We get into some confined spaces when wildcamping and I have already decapitated my Status flying saucer aerial.

I have 2 small locker doors on the back of the van and a very big garage. I made up a frame and fastened it down in the garage. I open up the small locker door and slide out the panel. It just so happened that my aluminium 2 step steps are the perfect height to prop the panel against at a good angle.

The only inconvenience is having to put it away when we leave the van to walk the dogs. It just slides in on its runners, so it only takes a second or two.

One good thing about a free standing one is that it works more efficiently, especially early and late in the day.

Thanks for your replies. One of my concerns about a portable panel is the potential for it being damaged as we take it in and out of the van so 747's system may be an option for us as we too have a large garage. However we have adapted it and have fitted two dog kennels so will need to have a look at what space there is/what's possible. Also wondering if we need to replace the 85w battery - think it may be the original one from 2004 so this might be dragging down the newer/bigger one. Does that seem likely? On  a recent trip our leisure batteries lost power after 3 nights light usage so that does seem a possible explanation.

Hi ike,

Solar panels are not as delicate as they look. While on our recent Scottish trip, the wind got up and I never gave it a thought until our panel was blown over and landed face down (with a thump).

I was releived to find that apart from a couple of little scratch marks (it landed on a stony surface) it was fine. I now lash it to the steps so it is more liable to land on its side next time. If I remember, I lay it flat first.

Your old battery has done well to last as long. I would change it, especially if you are using the van in winter.

Archived