Should MMM and other magazines weigh Test Vehicles to check payload ?

mike 202

Guest Tracker
vindiboy - 2010-09-09 7:11 PM

Why does everyone want someone else to do these things for them, BEFORE you buy a van insist it goes on a weigh bridge and get a certificate from the vendor stating the correct weight ,if not happy then walk away, SIMPLES.

Because people are too trusting - or don't realise the importance - or too lazy if I'm being unkind?

To find your nearest weighbridge try -

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

vindiboy - 2010-09-09 7:11 PM Why does everyone want someone else to do these things for them, BEFORE you buy a van insist it goes on a weigh bridge and get a certificate from the vendor stating the correct weight ,if not happy then walk away, SIMPLES.

Primarily, because if those who cook their figures are found out and the truth exposed, there is an outside chance they will stop figure cooking and give reliable information.  Ultimately, that would be to the benefit of the whole industry, as well as the buying public.  At least buyers could then make their wrong assumptions on the basis of correct information!  So, simples yourself!  :-)

In my rush to support the idea that MMM should weigh vehicles I missed the fairly important point that manufacturers may be using the 5% tolerance rule to their advantage.

So, when looking at their figures in the future I will try to remember to mentally adjust the figures that I see to allow for this. It's a shame I have to be so generally cynical but it does seem to be the only way to be safe rather than sorry.

Brian Kirby - 2010-09-09 9:24 PM
vindiboy - 2010-09-09 7:11 PM Why does everyone want someone else to do these things for them, BEFORE you buy a van insist it goes on a weigh bridge and get a certificate from the vendor stating the correct weight ,if not happy then walk away, SIMPLES.

Primarily, because if those who cook their figures are found out and the truth exposed, there is an outside chance they will stop figure cooking and give reliable information.  Ultimately, that would be to the benefit of the whole industry, as well as the buying public.  At least buyers could then make their wrong assumptions on the basis of correct information!  So, simples yourself!  :-)

Point taken , but as individual vans WILL vary in weight I would prefer a certificate from a weigh bridge BEFORE purchase if there was a chance of a vehicle I was about to buy being iffy on weight SIMPLES.

Guest JudgeMental

IF the mass in running order was accurate, all German brochures that I have seen have the weight of extras next to them? Examples: awning 40 kg/extra window 10 kg/ auto 17kg/ 3 litre 55kg battery etc.... etc.....

It is then pretty straightforward to know where you are before committing to ordering a van with specific extras. when you get the van of course one of the first thinks to do is visit a weighbridge. in fact when I bought the Euramobil and visited weighbridge things were a little better them I imagined.

Tracker - 2010-09-09 7:20 PM

vindiboy - 2010-09-09 7:11 PM

Why does everyone want someone else to do these things for them, BEFORE you buy a van insist it goes on a weigh bridge and get a certificate from the vendor stating the correct weight ,if not happy then walk away, SIMPLES.

Because people are too trusting - or don't realise the importance - or too lazy if I'm being unkind?

To find your nearest weighbridge try -

http://www.chrishodgetrucks.co.uk/pageweighbridge/weighbridgeshome.htm

It may also be that the dealer doesn't have one of the vans you want actually in stock to be able to weight it for you before you put in your order - the last thing you'd want is to have waited 4/5 months for a van to find on the day of collection that the payload wasn't sufficient.

As a complete novice, [took delivery of our first MH (new) on Sept 1st ] we found the payload calculations and subsequent loading up very daunting. Paying as much as we do for a new unit there is no real justification for the manufacturers not to supply a certificate of the actual weight of every vehicle that come off the production line. It would add very little to the final showroom price.

As an aside speaking to a fellow motorhomer last night who had a 350cc motorbike mounted on the rear (how heavy is that) and idly looking at his model on the manufacturers site a short time ago he is very definately overloaded as his payload is 225kg, ok so they were a couple and the unit had 3 belted seats so that probably increases it to 300kg?

Its all very cofuzzling.

Been away in ours for a week now and thoroughly enjoying every minute of it, Kinlochewe at present for next 4 days. Applecross and Skye beckon later in the week!

Can't wait for early retirement hopefully late next year then we can really go for it.

ATB

I guess its got to do more with in-house economics. To provide actual weights in a format that is acceptable to all then one should use an accepted base as standard. Thats 90% water, 90% fuel etc etc. Then you need to get the vehicle to a public weighbridge. As Motorhome magazines use a multitude of testers all over the country then its not viable to use a common weighbridge for all tests. (Unless you equip each tester with a portable weighing device like Dave Newel has). Then without doubt any motorhome loaned for a test will be devoid of fuel, so do you want to fill it up out of your own pocket and give the fuelback to the dealer? So YES its all possible but someone has to bear the cost and somehow I guess that the publishers will prefer not to do this, and would it be reasonable to expect the testers to cough up for tank of fuel and perhaps a 100 mile round trip to a weighbridge out of their fixed fee per test?

Unfortunately the Motorhome journalists working domain is very much different to that for car journalists.

But my answer is still YES but someone needs to convince the publishers to agree the costs associated with this.

C.

Up to a hundred miles to a weighbridge where do you live.

Yes we are asking the mags to put in the payload MMM is not the only mag not to do this but they have been including it on some motorhomes recentley.

What we want is the manufactures to add the payload on compleation of build and for the Mags to try and push them to do it.

A lot of people over time have brought up this subject and it is very important most of all to me with what I have gone through in the last three years.

If the manufacture had put the payload on my vehicle I would definitely not have purchased it and it would have saved me a whole lot of trouble.

Someone is bound to say it was my fault for not weighing it Maybe! but I will B----y well do it next time.

So come on MMM/Practical motorhome/which motorhome and any others that read this forum I know you have to think of revenue from adds but think how it effects the end buyer of your mags we pay your wages as well it does not matter how many adds you get if nobody buys it

Mike

Guest JudgeMental

Spot on Mickey! Well said!

The situation would be laughable if not so tragic......I think in some cases it is a fraudulent activity, when brazenly and with full knowledge dealers can sell people vans totally unsuitable for their needs *-) and cynically wave them of down the road. An absolute disgrace!

and the mags? also shameful for not doing anything to change this for a more transparent system........

I do agree. All it will take is one magazine to include this data as standard and the rest will find a way to do the same.

Like yourselves I also a few years back purchased a MH with insufucient payload and ended up building a trailer. So we are ALL dazed by the furniture and glitter first time around and it takes a while to become more worldly wise.

A petition to MM and Practical then?

A job for MentalJudge I guess?

C.

Archived