Düsseldorf show and new Master van

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

I was at Düsseldorf show last week to have a look at some panel van conversions. I saw 2 new Renault master vans there. the only one in production that I saw was the road master from Possl/Globecar. On the Renault stand they had a prototype from Hymer at 6.2 m long and it was an interesting layout with double doors......But IMO the van is simply to narrow and according to a German chap with a tape measure 100mm narrower then the Fiat.

Fiat have this sector sewn up as it is the widest van around

first 2 pics Possl

last 3 Hymer prototype

193161082_roadmaster.jpg.c2e428655e48acf801146ec4d31f98ba.jpg

1546804285_roadmaster2.jpg.d7657c434ec8d738b9b0e874b79c7dd8.jpg

1575182571_hymer1.JPG.ee186e6fc10edb2e47d450d86442f14d.JPG

610336759_hymer3.jpg.b4a956dff8e5e3f5825fe3d69c37c0cf.jpg

808515136_hymer4.jpg.1aa6acc473c0801fa108c16a9e2c9ee7.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2010-09-08 9:50 PM

Nice exclusive there Judge, beat MMM to it. (lol) (lol)

Funny you should say that, as I bumped into MMM's Peter Sharp (have meet before) snapping away on a stand :D

A van worth a look is the new Rapido V56 it has a very original layout with (narrow) french bed at rear, and even manages another double at front, plus 100 litre fridge (rapido price tag of course) no pics I'm afraid as I missed it at show *-)

http://www.rapido.fr/sites/fra/prod.php?ref=v56&serie=van

Guest JudgeMental
Poppy - 2010-09-10 9:54 AM

Very interesting Judge.Anything else interesting? Would love to go tothe Düsseldorf show sometime.

Lots of things! it is 17 halls packed with new vans......The highlight for me was a few rides on the Rolls Royce of E bikes, The Swiss Flyer X series over £5000 but a superb machine :D

I specifically went to see Panel vans and stuck to that.........

281339556_flyerX.jpg.7e0b004fe59b4414f9e630d8a4d456e9.jpg

That will look lovely when a truck runs its mirror down it.

Did you get the opportunity to sit in the Renault? Bashed your knee on the gear turret by any chance?

Also can't see the point of having two side doors on the Hymer. Everything that was not glued down would leave the van if both were opened!

Great photo's by the way.

Nick

Guest JudgeMental
Hi Nick, No I did not bother as not interested in the van really, although it looks nice enough to narrow and high looking to me to be a practical PVC I think. If I can sell my camper I am going for the Fiat (Lord help me :-S ) in 3 litre auto guise, if I can afford it *-)

Guest JudgeMental

here are some more pics. the first and last pics are identical twin bed layouts from globecar and adria.

the Globecar/Possl then the grey interior, twin bed layout of Adria Titan (not available in the UK :-S )

these vans are slightly longer at 636 then the normal PVC at 6 m.

I had intended to go for one of these, but the beds dont fold up easily creating a garage like in the shorter van...plus in general use, the shorter van is easier to live with I guess *-)

Orange is a popular finish this year

:-|

1237229832_globecartbeds.jpg.f70877e045c1b8899bde6cab8e749821.jpg

1451733298_orange.jpg.3f5a2529b41620942037a1358bb87d7b.jpg

1214177041_greyH.jpg.c90224dd1107275038e351027037da37.jpg

55433427_orange2.jpg.7c01e5d3494b5f328be28c022afd444f.jpg

1576581979_adriaTitan.jpg.d39538832e689c56aa27c6c2dc02d28a.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Minstrel - 2010-09-10 11:35 PM

Judge

Did you find anything near to what your looking for?

Yes, the similar spec Hymer 322 and Adria twin SP. they are the only two with 97 litre fridges and wide beds 1450 & 1500 respectively. The Adra probably has the edge on spec & detail when you look at everything. Its a real shame as I really like the Globecar but bed a bit narrower, of putting for a fatty like me.... The bathroom is better and lounge a tad bigger so I am still unsure :-S it is all about compromise.....

will see if I can sell van and then make a snap decision, there is a lot of stock in Germany......

Guest JudgeMental
Harvey - 2010-09-11 10:28 AM

Was it a 'Press Day' that you were there? There seem to be very few people.

Harvey

I wait for people to get out of the way for pics:-D

No I was there midweek, Wednesday & Thursday. Thursday was quiet. We normally go the first weekend and that is busy....will try midweek if possible in future much better. last time we were there was 2006 and there was a lot of English and even more Irish. this year I only heard 2 english voices inthe 2 days and not one Irish. Irish economy probably in a worse state then ours (if thats possible:-S)

We did press day when its a lot quieter and the following day . Filed reports and pictures electronically. Now its down to the editorial to determine publication. A few inovative products for sure, lots of fun, New Master, New AlKo hybrid base and more.

C.

Thanks for info Eddie. Although not really interested in van conversions at moment good to have info from show ahead of printed media, just shows power of internet; shame you could not contribute more Clive! Never mind waiting for editorial dictacts just put it on the web.

Regarding going for Fiat then we bought a Fiat (5 speed) around 18 months ago despite all the "juddergate" talk have had no problems with reverse at all (even more bought a Swift from Brownhills; again both fine) So Eddie ignore some of the wilder talk on the forum and go for the Fiat.

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks R&J, I would caution you regards defending the indefensible, as a lot of people have had well documented problems with this vehicles

Surely you must know by now the 5 speed is not as susceptible to problems as the 2.3 6 speed? and most problems were with vans produced from 2007 to early 2009. I am going to try and get funds together for the 3 litre auto, as reports on these are less problematic, and it is obviously a more powerful and pleasant drive....

As for brownhills, I would rather have my teeth pulled without anaesthetic before having anything to do with them *-)

Well Eddie I'll have to jump in with defence of the 2.3, 6 speed I had reservations but they were unfounded not had any problems & the vehicle is a superb drive.

I would have thought the 3 lt to be total over kill on a PVC unless you really want the auto box (oh why don't they do on the 2.3).

100% with on Brownhills.

Just starting our 3rd week of sunshine in France in the Massif Central.

Guest JudgeMental

That you and others have had no problems is great......But how do you think this makes others who have had real problems feel. You can hadly deny they are out there surely, after the amount of stuff on various forums.

There are a fair few 3 litre vans out there, and I was thinking it would be more car like to drive. also I can get a LHD 3 litre auto for the price of a RHD 2.3 6 speed so there lies my logic....

enjoy your holiday! weather has been mixed everywhere this year :-|

Eddie would never try to defend the indefensible as this would be impossible! But at time we purchased, some were saying that the 5 speed did have problems but we suspected this was not correct and took a calculated risk. Re the 6 speed then can only comment that have spoken to many French owners who report no problems, so make of this what you will. Again re Brownhills then we have bought many vans from them with no problems and good aftersales service. This is our experience no more no less. Good luck with your search, hope you get the van you want and thanks again for your report, great that a free internet forum is ahead of both subscription forums and the printed word.

Hi Eddie

Take a breath, sit down and think carefully ...

If memory serves, you want a motorhome/camper that you will get more use out of, which I think means something shorter, easier to park etc, and a bit easier to drive than what you have now.

You're now considering a LHD LONG PVC conversion from what I can gather. I can see the sense of a PVC conversion in this regard, with it's narrower width, but the length you are now considering concerns me somewhat. As you know we have just downsized from our Rimor at 7.14 to our Chausson at 5.99m and have found finding parking spots very easy compared to the Rimor but I wouldn't like to have gone over 5.99m. Even though our new motorhome is chubbier than the Rimor, its the length that we've found from experience to be the thing that will stop you getting into parking spots most of the time.

I know you are really keen on a PVC conversion but I would really, really urge you to think long and hard about going from a coachbuilt to a PVC. We would really have loved to have been able to get a PVC but there were a lot of things that just wouldn't have worked for us and so we ruled them out - such as too restricted storage, less well insulated, larger turning circle (due to longer wheelbase). We all know how you just LOVE your Euromobil for the storage and insulation.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get one, just make sure you're not 'falling in love' with the aesthetics, design etc of PVCs (some of them really do look lovely), over the practicality of using them as you intend, both for tootling around and for holidays.

Archived