Just a little go

dawki

Hi All

A break in my work has opened up and I thought I would do a short trip to France,

This will be my first trip over and really looking forward to it.

I will only have about a week leaving early part of next week

As I say I haven’t been over before so would really appreciate any tips on places to go or stay.

We love to see nice beaches and like to get on our bikes as much as poss.

I realize the fact that we only have about a week will restrict us a bit.

Plan is ferry into Calais

Any help much appreciated

Cheers

Dawki

I think that La Rochelle is too far for a weeks trip, espcially as its your first time in France. I would stay within the Northern France area or Brittany. There are a lot of nice beaches up there. Just had a look on ViaMichelin and it is 700km (420m approx) from Calais to La Rochelle and that is using the motorway.

Guest JudgeMental

I agree......saying that we went for a week at half term. Its 2 deg C better then here at the moment. But the Vendee coast is a very good area for cycling.

So, if you dont mind a quick hard drive, Vendee is good OR South Brittany around Carnac very nice as well. Failing that just stick to Coast south of Calais into Normandy. Le Crotoy has a nice Aire right on harbour. Then just drift down to Honfleur, and back........ Le Touquet also worth a look with good Aires

We are in the Vendee at the moment, weather good and getting better for the coming week. Great places for cycling and La Rochelle is a nice town but I agree with the previous comment it's too far for just one week. You maybe able to do the Calais/Vendee drive in one day by using the motorways but it's costly and you'll probably be knac**ed by the time you arrive. Normandy would be my choice, great coastline, good sea food and plenty of aires and small camp sites still open until the end of September. Buy a copy of the Aires book and Caravan Club Vol 1 camp sites Western Europe and you won't go far wrong; have a great trip.

Why not just wander Westerly along the coast getting as far as you get without having a specific destination - no rush - explore by van if it's wet - bike or on foot if it's dry?

There are some terrific beaches along the Channel coast and some lovely old towns and villages just a few kms inland.

I doubt you will need to book but I would take or get a good book of Aires.

Very many thanks for your replies so far, La Rochelle sounds really good but maybe as some have said just a tad too far I think? But I am tempted.

Maybe just cruise along as you say try an Aire or two, heard so much about them and try some of these really good French sites I keep hearing about.

All new to me

Cheers

Dawki

Guest JudgeMental

what time is your ferry? you can get to the Vendee coast around St Jean De monts/Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie in approx 6-7 hours it is 622 miles. Hardly the other side of the world :-S

we always head as far as this for whitsun school holiday week......I would play it by ear and keep an eye on the weather.

Guest JudgeMental
as long as you don't use the new extortionate stretch of the A28 south of Rouen to le Mans. Better then hanging around north coast if weather poor

Hi,

Would not think about driving a long way in one week , there are many places to stay/visit within a short distance of Calais. O.K. weather may not be great everyday but still plenty to see and chance to chill out. We have just returned from France having spent two weeks meandering between Calais and northern Belgium. Stayed on aires at Gravelines, nice walled town and pleasant walk into Petit Fort Philippe, Bergues inland from Dunkerque, again a nice walled town, Bray Dunes, coastal resort, and Hondschoote, nice town in French Flanders. All these aires are free to stay on, but only Hondschoote has services (2 Euros). For full details GPS etc look under Dept 59 on Camping-car infos web site. Took bus from Gravelines into Dunkerque (1.30 Euros each way), drove to Adinkerke in Belgium and took coastal tram to Ostend (8 Euros retun), saw really interesting horse show/harvest festival in Hondschoote (no charge) and drove down to interesti8ng town of Cassel. (Cassel aire is a long uphill walk to town and position next to fast road means do not think suitable for overnight stay).

So you can have an interesting and relaxed time in France without a lot of driving and at low cost!

With only a week I'd certainly suggest Normandy too - if the weather is a bit dicey and you're interested in WWII there's plenty to see there, even in good weather, there's still a lot to see - the beaches are just as nice as other parts of France.

You really don't want to be doing a lot of travelling which, on some of the French non-motorway roads, can be quite slow so you won't be able to cover anything like the mileage you would expect for the same travelling time in Britain.

As has been suggested, turn your van West and tootle along and just enjoy your trip. Save La Rochelle etc for when you've got more time to really do the area justice.

Guest JudgeMental

"We love to see nice beaches and like to get on our bikes as much as poss."

For the more adventurous out there......for proper cycling and beaches the Vendee coast is unbeatable.

If you print the following off you can cycle most of the routes basing yourself at one of the 2 Aires in Le Croytoy. We have done many of them and they are great with easy signs to follow, country lanes, cycle paths and villages streets.

http://www.location-velo.com/images/Carnet_spirale.pdf

You can then catch the train that runs round the coast to St Valery and cycle the routes on that side too, no problem taking bikes on train.

We love staying here no guarantee on weather but some great beaches not far from here and you will always find a space on one of the Aires.

We also stayed on the Aire at Quend Plage, not that great for cycling but lovely walks through the forest and right next to the small town and huge flat beach.

Have a great time, we just did a week around this area going down as far as Honfluer (if you go stay on a Friday night and do the market on Saturday morning)

Mandy

Guest JudgeMental

like I said earlier Le Crotoy area very nice also around the bay to St Valery worth a visit as Mandy rightly says, much more down to earth then Le Touquet.

We were there in May and there was a festival accompanied by a full scale gale...we felt so sorry for the locals, as it was obviously a big yearly event.

26 deg C Vendee today :D

The post immediately above from judgemental is very sensible.

Free aires at Gravelines, good at Dunkirk, excellent at Le Crotoy, Le Touquet, free again at Arromanche etc, etc.

There is so much to see on the channel coast I don't see why you would want to track all the way to the Vendee for a week. Its Ok there but apart from potentially slightly better weather its no better than the northern coast. The weather things hit and miss anyway.

If you want a decent guarantee of weather in France now you are going to have to go all the way down to the Cote d'Azur on the Med- which I would sooner do that trek down to La Rochelle on the Atlantic coast.

After reading the replies to date I think I will head straight to Le Crotoy get the bikes out and have a look around and move along towards Normandy after a day or two and see what we find.

Sounds like plenty of cycling in the area going by Mandy’s link.

Any more site tips along that route would be good

Thanks for your help so far

Cheers

Dawki

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a quick post to say thanks for all your tips

Back from my first French trip, had a really good time

Went straight to the at Aires Le Cortoy lashed down that night but thought the Aire was great and kept using them.

The weather got better and better 29 yesterday

Plodded down to Honfleur for the weekend diverting inland a little and stayed a night beside the river Seine.

Then headed back staying at St Valery-en-caux, I just pulled up as somebody pulled out.

Le Crotoy again and Le Touquet completed my little trip.

Never went on a toll road but thought the roads in general were very good

could not believe the amount of motor homes that you see over there.

Cant wait to do it again

(Mandy the bike routes were great, managed to do two they are just right for us cheers)

Cheers

Dawki

Archived