Shared ownership

1violet

Hi, wonder if anyone has experience of jointly owning a motorhome?

Some friends have suggested this and whilst I can see the advantages I can also see downfalls. I am single they are a couple we both have dogs and we did manage to share a house (theirs) for a year without becoming enemies.

Any thoughts anyone.......

violet

Hi Violet, welcome to the mad house! :-D

This has been suggested before but, as you say, there are downfalls. Who would be the 'owner' on the registration document, who would pay for the MOT/servicing/insurance/tax? How would you decide who would use it when (assuming you want to use it separately as well as all together).

Living with some people in a house is not the same as in the confines of a motorhome - you simply cannot 'escape' to another room if you need some peace and quiet. Whilst I have dogs and love them to bits, I also appreciate that others don't like dogs or that those who like them too don't necessarily want to spend time with them constantly.

It would be an expensive mistake to make and could also cause problems with your friendship - you've got to consider if this is worth the risk.

My advice would be, if you are not 100% sure, then decline.

Thanks for your thoughts Mel, to clarify we wouldn't be using it together we would have to have some sort of 'booking' arrangement and I feel there is sufficient trust for one of us to be on the reg docs and all other costs would be split 50/50. I mention dogs because as we both have them it wouldn't be one of us messing it up with our dogs.

violet

Archived