Earth fault indicator

Guest David Powell

Guest David Powell
In December MMM, Motor Caravanning Matters, page 226, title 'Earth fault indicator', which I have read Clives explanation through a couple of times, I get the impression that the motor home chasis must be earthed before pluging into the mains. Does the 'hook up' cable do this via the site 'hook up' point, which I assume it does, or should a separate earthing cable be stuck into the ground? Never thought about it before...I know we have a lot of electrical genii in the Forum. What is the Answer???

The motorhome chassis will be bonded to the mains earth connection within the motorhome. So the chassis only gets bonded to earth when you connect to a mains hookup via the yellow/green wire. You are correct the 'hook up' cable does this via the site 'hook up' point. There is no advantage in putting in another earth stake into the ground. Indeed, doing this may compromise the operation of some of the older earth leakage circuit breakers employed on the site that measure the leakage current directly. I hope thats clear??

Guest David Powell
Thanks Clive, as I thought, just that the drawings being brief to be direct to the point,without irrelevant circuits, had to check to make sure as I'm not very bright. Cheers!

Archived