AL-KO hand brake cable

johnnerontheroad

The standard Fiat handbrake cables should do the job, there are two (assuming only one rear axle) front one goes from handbrake lever to a mechanism under the cab floor, rear one goes between wheels on the rear axle and the two are joined together by a length of 8mm dia steel bar with adjusting nuts on.

D.

I've a Kontiki 2.5TD of 1992 vintage and at my motorfacts I picked up one for a Talbot 2.5 TD of the same date. But it was too short.

There is however two brake cylinders for the Talbot of that date and I have the smaller in my Kontiki.

Only one brake cable is specified however.

The Alko site says to get the numbers etc of your Alko chassis and take it to your local Motorhome dealer as Alko won't deal with you personaly.

You may have the same Alko chassis as mine.

Gives some feedback on your results.

Good Luck,

Gordon..

John

The Fiat ones might fit but I had problems getting them to fit on my 6m Hymer B564 on the Al-Ko chassis.

My Al-Ko cable siezed and, as Al-Ko UK had none in stock, they said that it would have to be ordered from Germany. 2 weeks delivery and £150 plus carriage.

I used, www.speedycables, in Swansea. They suggested that I send the old cable to them and they would manufacture a new replacement using it as a pattern. Sent Monday, received back Wednesday by courier. £56 all in.

One of the most professional firms I have ever dealt with.

Pat

(Talking of professional firms, I had a habitation check done by Dave Newell today. Thank you Dave for the most thorough and complete service I have ever had on any of the motorhomes I have owned. It was a pleasure to meet you and Mrs N!)

johnnerontheroad - 2010-09-14 8:11 PM

Dave,

I have a twin axel and from what I have been told there are 4 cables.

Dave

But surely you won't have to replace them all if one fails?

patr - 2010-09-14 8:27 PM

John

The Fiat ones might fit but I had problems getting them to fit on my 6m Hymer B564 on the Al-Ko chassis.

My Al-Ko cable siezed and, as Al-Ko UK had none in stock, they said that it would have to be ordered from Germany. 2 weeks delivery and £150 plus carriage.

I used, www.speedycables, in Swansea. They suggested that I send the old cable to them and they would manufacture a new replacement using it as a pattern. Sent Monday, received back Wednesday by courier. £56 all in.

One of the most professional firms I have ever dealt with.

Pat

(Talking of professional firms, I had a habitation check done by Dave Newell today. Thank you Dave for the most thorough and complete service I have ever had on any of the motorhomes I have owned. It was a pleasure to meet you and Mrs N!)

Speedycables sounds like a good port of call then. Thanks for your kind words Pat, I enjoyed our chinwag too ;-) .

D.

Archived