Mobility Scooters

woody.

Im looking for a mobility scooter for my wife , theres thousands out there at all sorts of prices , i want a light weight one not too big with a range of around 8 - 10 miles , this will allow her to acompany me on short walks etc when i go on rallies etc , the local mobility shop sells them from £500 -£1500 , then i look at the websites and see them for a lot less , so what are the reliable makes etc , are they all as good as each other , what should i be looking for ? anybody out there know ?.

(?) (?)

Hi Ron

It's more a question of getting what Scooter is right for your wife's needs.

Please don't buy of the Internet, UNTIL you have seen & tried the specific model. They have different controls, weight capacity, reach (seat to tiller) etc., etc..

Have a look here:-

http://www.ricability.org.uk/consumer_reports/mobility_reports/powered_wheelchairs_and_scooters/

for some guidance.

We have one for my wife & spend a lot of time trying different models to ensure it was suitable. In the end we bought a "G0-Go Elite Traveller Plus"

It was an advantage that it "breaks-down" into 4 pieces (Seat, Battery, Rear wheels & front wheels/tiller) & will fit the Garage in our Motorhome, but her requirements were the overriding criteria.

She has had it for 12 months & is pleased with it, but can't comment on others available.

Also try http://www.lockton.com/Services-And-Solutions/Mobility

for Mobility Scooter insurance, we found them to be much cheaper that that offered by ANY Dealers and offered same or better cover.

Agree with Flicka, i've had a Pride Traveller Plus for a few months and it's a well made, rugged scooter and it easily breaks down to fit in either the car boot or the garage in the 'van.

Suggest that you opt for the "Plus" model, this is fitted with 18ah batteries and gives a range of between 12 to 15 miles depending on terrain.

Prices for these things are all over the place and fluctuate daily between £550 and £800. Do a Google and if you see one around the £550/£580 mark that's about right. 

Battery replacement cost is around £60 for the pair.

Dealer who supplied the scooter suggested that after each use for the first 5 or 6 times, the battery should be left on charge overnight, minimum 12 hours, apparantly this "conditions" the battery.

There are a couple of "battery experts" on here who can hopefully give a more technical response.

mother has one that splits down for transport, last year had problems with the battery as she hadnt been putting it on charge during the period of non use. The shop we took it too gave it a deep charge (they must have a special battery charger) and it then worked fine - they advised to recharge everyday as soon as finished using it and then to put it on overnight charge every fortnight to keep the battery in condition when it was not in use.

knight of the road - 2010-09-22 2:28 PM

I could do with a mobility scooter, can you get one that has a ladder rack on it? could put my tools in the shopping basket, would be handy for doing local jobs.

Don't go using ladders if you need a mobility scooter, Malcolm. *-)

My cousins wife has a mobility scooter and it has improved her life no end,

He stows it in a box on the back of his M/H, the scooter gives his wife that feeling of independence, It was rather funny when she demolished a stall on Dorchester market, thankfully the stallholder saw the funny side of it. :-D

Archived