Winter in the sun

tonyg3nwl

Hi, For all those winter sun long stay veterans, Can I ask how you spend you lazy days.

How many books do you take to read (if any)

Where do you get gas, How much do you use.

Do you eat in or regularly out.

do you stay on sites, or roam about, aires, secret hideaways

How long in one place?

Organised club rallies eg CCC?

What about abscence from uk base. Insurance for empty house?

Medical and breakdown cover, ?

How do you collect your pension?

Solo or with friends?

Do you get bored and long to return to UK

What is number one reason for doing it.

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-15 8:24 PM

Hi, For all those winter sun long stay veterans, Can I ask how you spend you lazy days.

1.How many books do you take to read (if any)

2.Where do you get gas, How much do you use.

3. Do you eat in or regularly out.

4. do you stay on sites, or roam about, aires, secret hideaways

5. How long in one place?

6. Organised club rallies eg CCC?

7. What about abscence from uk base. Insurance for empty house?

8. Medical and breakdown cover, ?

9. How do you collect your pension?

10. Solo or with friends?

11. Do you get bored and long to return to UK

12. What is number one reason for doing it.

tonyg3nwl

1. Read a lot of books ONLY when the weather is bad and for a while before sleep.

2. Gas can be bought from most garages in Spain but they have lot's of depots too.

3. We go out perhaps 2 or 3 times a month.

4. For 7 years we were on the road travelling. The last 5 we have stayed on the same Campsite.

5. When on the road usually 2 or 3 months. On camp we stayin one place. Too much hassled moving around the camp all the time. :-D

6. NEVER. Not a member and would NEVER join.

7. Not a problem. Family lives in our 2 houses. We live in Motorhomes/RV's.

8. Never had it, don't want it, waste of time & money. REASON? They will NOT usually cover any current ailments. So WHY bother?

9. Straight into the Bank.

10 Done both.

11. NEVER. The UK is our Holiday destination in the SUMMER (?????).

12. We love the lifestyle and mostly the weather.

What do we do to NOT get bored? Read, fly model Helicopters/Planes, Cycle, Gym, visit friends, Boules, Tennis, Football, Swim, Suana, etc,etc, etc. There are NOT enough hours in the dayfor what we want to do.

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-15 8:24 PM

How many books do you take to read (if any)

Where do you get gas, How much do you use.

Do you eat in or regularly out.

do you stay on sites, or roam about, aires, secret hideaways

How long in one place?

Organised club rallies eg CCC?

What about abscence from uk base. Insurance for empty house?

Medical and breakdown cover, ?

How do you collect your pension?

Solo or with friends?

Do you get bored and long to return to UK

What is number one reason for doing it.

tonyg3nwl

We have been full timing since March in UK, Normandy & Brittany.

We have had to put off our departure to Spain untill mid November otherwise we had planned a slow drive down starting in October.

I use my amateur radio. The set is a Yeasu 847 and I have an Atlas 120 mounted on a mirror mount, coverage 80 to 70cms and I also carry other antenna: G5RV (full and Half size)and a GWHIP. I carry a 24ft sectional mast on the steady post of the Smart car trailer and this acts as a ground plane when it is errected. I also use internet radio e-qso and can be often found in room 101ENGLISH

Joan is into Sea fishing and reads a lot. We have found many fellow travellers wish to swap books and videos when you meet them on Aires.

We have Sky TV or will watch local TV it helps get accustomed to the language.

I have checked the location of Autogas outlets in Spain and will need to travel to top up or I can revert to the old cylinder method if necessary.

We travel solo.

We use Aires and Minicipal sites abroad. In the UK we use Cls or CSs we are also a member of a Naturist Club in Lakeland so spend some time there as well, usually early and late season. At 24ft plus a 12ft trailer we find few places where we are able to wildcamp.

We have to be back at base in County Durham, a CS site, twice a year for health check ups and repeat prescriptions.

We sold our house, which was about a mile from this site when we hit the road. Full timing insurance has cancelled out the saving made by not paying council tax.

We intend to be at a naturist site in Spain for 4 months this winter. It works out at 11.90 Euro a night including electricity.

We explore using the Smart.

We are members of clubs but do not rally.

Our pensions are paid into or bank.

We have UK and European breakdown insurance through our insurance with Comfort.

We enjoy our nomad existance. We visit family who are spead around the Uk and stay in our own home when we do so.

Our number one reason for doing this is because we enjoy it. We intend to continue untill we are unable to do so.

John g0fgg/m

Just to add my pennyworth

1 BOOKS as said I take a libary of about 10 and do swaps

2 GAS we use sites so we do not have a gas problem but I do use spanish gas which is only 11 euro a bottle

3 EATING we eat out once a week

3 we stay on site as we tow a car so can leave the van knowing it is relativly safe

4 varies but 31 days min to get the discount we pay 265 Euro a month at conil

5 Members of CCC but mainly for Temp holiday sites in the UK not for Spain

6 Insurance through CCC for house and daughter is half a mile away

7 Medical we use backbackers insurance Van is covered 12 months abroad by Comfort

8 Pension into bank draw money from bank

9 Solo but the more you go the more friends you meet again and again

10 Never get bored to much to do Cycling walking watching the world go by in a cafe Site does entertainment if you want it dances quizes etc

The No one reason is actually two. To get away from the winter in the Uk and the social life on campsite

Richard

Hi Again. Thanks for the further responses. I am sure a lot more questions could come to mind, but maybe this is not appropriate place to pursue them. Certainly gives me food for thought, but other half seems to prefer home comforts during winter,. We have booked Christmas Rally though this year with CC, so someone else can do the cooking.

To John, what is your callsign..Mine is obvious I hope. I use ICOM 706 with 80 m hustler and carry 20 m wire dipole and sling it into trees whenever possible. I also have 40, 20 and 15 m proam whips, all via MFJ t-match tuner.

Most recent trip (28May/June/6July) to DL OE Luxumbourg, F etc had regular 20m and 40m sked contacts back to UK each morning.

Again, thanks for responses,

tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-17 2:59 PM

Hi Again. Thanks for the further responses. I am sure a lot more questions could come to mind, but maybe this is not appropriate place to pursue them. Certainly gives me food for thought, but other half seems to prefer home comforts during winter,. We have booked Christmas Rally though this year with CC, so someone else can do the cooking.

To John, what is your callsign..Mine is obvious I hope. I use ICOM 706 with 80 m hustler and carry 20 m wire dipole and sling it into trees whenever possible. I also have 40, 20 and 15 m proam whips, all via MFJ t-match tuner.

Most recent trip (28May/June/6July) to DL OE Luxumbourg, F etc had regular 20m and 40m sked contacts back to UK each morning.

Again, thanks for responses,

tonyg3nwl

Hi Tony

Callsign is g0fgg. Being full time I am always mobile.

John

Archived