underslung gas tank on Fiat X250 PVC

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Has anyone fitted one at all on this panel van? If so what size did you manage to install, and if you can recommend a company I would be grateful :-D

chap from autogas said a 25 litre tank.....this seems a bit small to me? but the problem is this van is close to the ground so diameter of tank limited I think...

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks!

I have 2 x 13kg? stako refillable bottles in coachbuilt. which wont fit in panel van I guess. How much gas in these? and how much does a 25kg tank hold ( I realise there is an 80% cut of) or is this a stupid question *-)

I guess the one 25kg is not a lot different capacity then my 2 at the moment....

rolyk, cant see pics on link, probably because I am not a registered MHF user*-)

1417086222_gas002.jpg.74cf6e3f70975820b3174a5fa2a434dd.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Andy_C - 2010-09-20 1:03 PM

rolyk - 2010-09-19 6:36 PM

Here's the picture (or one similar)

Looking at that tank installation it must be a right PITA when you need to shut off the gas supply. Also I'm not convinced of the suitability of flexible hose in that location...

Andy

You don't have much choice with underslung tanks....My earlier westfalia was conveniently along side so easily reached. I am more concerned about how you fill it and know how much gas you have left (stako have reasonably reliable meter on top)

I was kinda thinking the same re rubber pipes surely they should be steel undermeath?

I too don't like the look of 'rubber' pipes, no matter how well secured they are ... I'd be surprised if they're legal as I thought that you're supposed to only be permited have a limited length (1m?) for 'flexible' pipes when installations are done by a gas fitter.

In some respects the flexible pipe is preferable to rigid copper (or steel) pipe as it can allow for minor movement due to vibrations. To do the job in copper carries its own risk as copper work hardens and therefore becomes brittle. If there is the slightest amount of movement between the tank and the pipework then sooner or later copper is likely to fracture and leak. Underslung tanks obviously carry some risk as they will almost always hang down lower than chassis rails, there are exceptions but many hang lower especially on AlKo chassis or PVC campers.

D.

Autogas weighs roughly 0.5kg per litre. So a 25litre-capacity tank would take around 12.5kg of gas, while a 25kg-capacity tank woud take about 50litres. Two 13kg bottles (ie. 26kg total) = roughly 52litres, so a 25litre tank would provide less than half that capacity.

I carry a 5kg bottle and a 6kg one (about 22 litres overall) and work on a 1litre per day average usage.

Yes Andy, it's a pain to turn off the tank valve. The only time I do is at the tunnel, otherwise it's left permanently on. The islolating valve will automatically shut off the tank in the case of a catastrophic leak, such as the hose being ripped off.

I find the main advantage of the underslung tank is space saving; no huge gas locker taking up space, which is always at a premium on a panel van.

The photo I attached earlier showed a rubber hose, as fitted by Autosleepers. I changed it for a Gaslow stainless one earlier this year and feel much happier with it, particularly as the rubber one was too short and under undue strain at the regulator end. Here's a picture the Galslow one, which is longer than the original.

1948937802_P1000658.JPG.24afdf578b7f1fb98de042392fbd379b.JPG

We looked at fitting one on our van but it was really as much about freeing up the gas locker space as anything.

and as we dont use a great deal of gas(maybe 1x6kg a year),we couldn't really justify the £5-600...

..for us ,it would've been a expensive way of making space,just so we could carry more clutter...!

I'd never even thought about how you went about shutting them off at the cylinder!?...I'd assumed that there was a remote tap(..so not actually shut at the cylinder as such..).

Guest JudgeMental

The panel vans I am looking at take 2 x 11 kg bottles. I wish I had bought these instead of my 13kg ones! Could of then swapped them over.....:-S

Yes I think probably not worth the hassle for a little more storage with the underslung tank......

cheapest 11kg bottles anyone plse? :-D

rolyk - 2010-09-21 4:25 PM

Yes Andy, it's a pain to turn off the tank valve. The only time I do is at the tunnel, otherwise it's left permanently on. The islolating valve will automatically shut off the tank in the case of a catastrophic leak, such as the hose being ripped off.

I find the main advantage of the underslung tank is space saving; no huge gas locker taking up space, which is always at a premium on a panel van.

The photo I attached earlier showed a rubber hose, as fitted by Autosleepers. I changed it for a Gaslow stainless one earlier this year and feel much happier with it, particularly as the rubber one was too short and under undue strain at the regulator end. Here's a picture the Galslow one, which is longer than the original.

Hi Roly, what is this isolating valve you mention that will shut off the supply in the event of a catastrophic failure please? All I can see in your photos is a Gaslow SS hose and standard Truma/GOK bulkhead regulator. Having fitted a tank of this type before I know its not a standard part of it and the outlet from the tank doesn't, as far as I'm aware include a safety shutoff valve.

D.

Guest JudgeMental
lennyhb - 2010-09-21 6:48 PM

Eddie, check your bottles if they are Stako which they look like they will be 11kg & will fit your new Hymer.

Mmm..... how can I tell. they look pretty big to me compared to the gas locker on an adria panel van and on web site they take 2x11....

and yes they are Stako lets hope yur right! :-D

The things I'll do to stop the Judge throwing me in jail.

Just measured mine in the dark approx 490mm high (without the collar) & 310mm dia.

Also checked a Calor 15kg butane I had in the garage (should be the same as a 13kg propane) 560mm high 290mm dia. approx.

Archived