X250 smoking

Geoff Cole

tonyishuk - 2010-10-21 7:30 PM

In France we seemed to smell from other vehicles the good old "Chippie" smell (or is it "Frites ?")

Some vehicles seemed quite modern and makes me think that they were not the sort of car to go down the DIY diesel route.

It passed a thought in my mind that a local entrepenuer was selling home spun diesel to his village garage at the midnight hour !

Rgds

Strange that because the French use a "perfumed" dye to differentiate between Gas Oil (Duty free) & Diesel (Duty payable).

Not that our french neighbours would resort to using Industrial Gas Oil in Road vehicles, would they. >:-) >:-)

flicka - 2010-10-19 10:47 AM Sorry Brian, but there are differences in Diesel from the different sources. ........................

I accept all that John, but the point I was trying to make was whether these (relatively small) differences would cause the problem described.  Engine manufacturers, so far as I now, design and test their vehicles on the basic, "cooking" grade of fuel, without taking account of the oil company additives.  They pretty much have to, if their vehicles are to be able to run satisfactorily on whatever is on offer from Portugal to Bulgaria, especially in a Europe with (largely) open borders.  This seems even more the case for commercial vehicles, the engines of which are generally at a lower state of tune than cars (so that monsieur fourgon blanc doesn't continually deconstruct them!).  It is in that sense that I stated my doubts as to whether supermarket fuel would lie at the heart of the smoking problem.

Ours (which is relatively highly tuned for a commercial diesel) has had all sorts of stuff shovelled into it and, although it does seem a bit smoother in some places than others, I can't really say I have ever been able to associate this with this, or that, fuel.  Mind, I do make it difficult to check because I always re-fuel at 50% empty, just in case one fill is a bit rough!

I also, being rather a cynic (qui, moi?  :-)), tend to think the advantages brought by those development millions are at least as much about marketing advantage, and hype, as about true performance benefits.  If any one of them could really produce the clean burn, super efficient, higher mileage, smoother running, fuels they claim, it would be a major national news and they'd scoop the pool.  Reality, it seems to me is that the benefits, while undoubtedly real, come in infinitesimally small increments.  I think, in truth, driving on a cool, but slightly misty, evening, brings a greater performance improvement than any of their additives.  It's just a shame we can't re-organise the weather for when we drive!!  :-D

Hi Brian,

I accept that continually switching fuel sources should not be detrimental, but continuous use of Supermarket fuels will have adverse effects in the long term.

Whilst the Supermarket fuels are not without Additives, they are either the most basic formulations or of an older generation.

Worst case scenario - continually using fuel from locations where there is slow turnover.

The engine manufacturers work very much inconjunction with the Oil Companies, especially so with the sulphur reductions that were required by Euro 4 & 5 regulations.

Both parties spend staggering amounts on joint Research & Development to improve fuel efficiency, reduce wear and cleaner engines, which are way beyond the minimum requirements of the EN BS ISO Standards.

The additives formulated from this R&D are regularly patented & not released into the open market, being solely for the use of the individual Oil Company's products.

All the Major Oil Companies are continually looking to improve their additives so it would be very difficult for an individual vehicle user to determine which is the specific market leader at any particular time.

BUT any fuel sourced from a Major Oil Company's outlet will be more beneficial long term.

Regarding the additives, in the Premium Diesel products (which I personally do not subscribe too - see the "Fiat Judder ( oops )" thread ). Having spoken to some ex-colleagues, their general consensus is that it is more appropriate for "performance vehicles" use, but could not give a definative answer.

Archived