Fiamma Awning Rain Guard

AliB

Our van came with a Fiamma awning ready fitted. Why is there a sizeable gap between the awning body and the size of the van?

This allows water to run down the side of the van. The area around the fixing points is a good source of black streaks. The streaks are not difficult to clean off but it is just another job.

There must be a reason they are fitted with a gap.

Fiamma sell a rubber strip to filling this gap. Anyone used one and are they worthwhile?

http://www.fiammastore.com/Fiamma-Accessories-for-Zip-F45-F65/Fiamma-Rain-Guard-Rubber-Seal

Our previous van had one of the wide strips fitted...but strangely it "disappeared" one day! :-S

(..we realised that it had gone,when we were getting dripped on,whilst emptying the 'van one day,after getting home after a 3hr motorway journey!)..I can only guess that the front edge had lifted and the wind had gotten under it and ripped it out... *-)

Without it fitted though,the rain certainly did cascade down the side of the 'van...

It's not exactly cheap though,for what is is...but as it works,I guess it's worth getting some.. :-S

(..depending on the gap size,maybe you could cut some foam strip or maybe some lengths of pipe lagging sliced into strips?..)

Just remembered..the one thing it did do though,was to channel the water off the roof,onto the top of(and therefore into!)the awning box assembly,so when ever it rained water would be pouring out of one of the ends..usually the end nearest the cab door! *-)

We didn't get one when our awning was fitted either and, whilst I love waterfalls, I don't like them over the habitation door when we're trying to get in! A nice bit of sealant the full length of the awning next to the side of the van sorted the job nicely. :-D

Fitted one to ours, does the job very well. I struggle to see how one came off...they fit very tightly into the channel. As for the issue of them funnelling the water onto the roof of the canopy thence the canopy itself, well of course they do, that's the point...you just make sure that you don't have the outstretched canopy not set perfectly horizontal.

Paul

Archived