Gas Hob Problem

Bailey

What does it smell of? Burnt or unburnt gas - or something completely different?

Probably wants cleaning - including the jet - always assuming that you have gas in the bottle and an unclogged regulator?

Do the fridge and heating work OK?

With repect, I think maybe if you need to ask how to do it you may need to seek advice from a caravan service centre?

The smell you mention suggests incomplete combustion to me and that suggests either dirty burner or partially blocked jet or air intake?

That said it ishould not be a difficult task although they do vary from make to make.

The burner should either just lift off or be secured with a small screw. Take that off first and clean it and everything else it exposes and try it again.

If it does not help then maybe the jet needs cleaning or replacing. Cleaning usually works - but with some modern burners the jets are not removeable to clean like the old ones are and you may need to consider replacement of the whole burner.

Whatever you do please don't use wire to clean the jet as it can damage the finely machined surface and cause even more problems.

I would use a solvent such as thinners or maybe petrol to soak and clean a removeable jet with a small and fine paintbrush once removed followed by a blast of air from either you or maybe a footpump after which you should be able to see clearly through it's perfectley round albeit tiny hole prior to refitting with whatever sealing washer - if there is one - came with it.

Don't use anything inflamable if trying to clean it in situ for obvious reasons!

In the old days there used to be an adjustable collar that you could move to alter the volume of air being drawn in for combustion and this could dramatically alter the flame colour but I think on modern ones this has been abolished?

What advice does the van or smev handbook give regarding cleaning?

Thanks for the advice. I did as you said and removed the burner and cleaned all the dust etc from it and underneath it also - I didn't go near the jet in case I damaged it. When I put it back together the flame was back to its normal blue colour so hopefully its ok now.

Thanks again :-)

Yippee - I got something right for once!

Hope it carries on working OK - and you are very welcome - in fact thanks for saying thanks - some don't even have that courtessy!

Archived