fiat 250 again

jobox

Guest JudgeMental

I think Andy said in that post that it was vans produced after the first quarter of 2009. But be careful, always check VIN number for build date as the chassis cab can be waiting around for ages before being converted into a motorhome.

To be safe I am only looking at vans with a 2010 build date *-)

It is true that from April 2009 build many of the in service mods that were carried out to problem vehicles have been incorporated in new vehicles. However these are limited to 2.3 6 speed and 2.2 5 speed boxes and there have been no modifications to 3.0 vehicles at all. There have been fewer reported problems with the 3.0 and in most cases a new clutch and or flywheel has helped greatly.

Andy wrote that the converter that he uses had tried one of these 2.3 vehicles built after the April watershed and thought that it juddered as much as any that have come before. I believe that Andy has also driven this van or another and has had a similar outcome. I have not seen or heard of any problems with 2.2 Fiat or Peugeot vehicles built after April 2009.

What we do know is that over the last year there have been very few new cases appearing here on this forum and that could be for one of two reasons;

1. The modified gearbox is in fact a major improvement.

2. The response by Fiat, it's dealers or the converters to any problems has changed so much that there is no need for owners to come to the forums to complain.

Knowing how awful Fiat have been in the past, and knowing that there are no fixes available to any problems that still exist with later vehicles fitted with modified boxes I suspect that the first reason looks more likely.

I would still be very reluctant to hand over my money for any vehicle that has been built for me until I had driven it and was satisfied that it was acceptable. I would not entertain the purchase of any used vehicle without thoroughly testing it either because there are a lot of 2006 onwards vehicles that have not been modified at all and are now well outside warranty. Anyone that does should make sure they get a discount of about £3000 so that if necessary they can get an exchange gearbox and clutch if and when it goes wrong. You cannot buy the old type gearbox from Fiat any more, and I think that is a strong enough message; don't you?

Nick

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-05 11:00 AM

always check VIN number for build date

How can you tell build date from the VIN number?

Guest JudgeMental
VIN normally has build date within it, or in the case of Ford dont know re Fiat, you can input the VIN on website and get all the info on that vehicle...Or bring number to an agent and they can check on system for you.

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-05 1:20 PM

VIN normally has build date within it, or in the case of Ford dont know re Fiat, you can input the VIN on website and get all the info on that vehicle...Or bring number to an agent and they can check on system for you.

Thanks for the reply. My VIN number is VF7YDBMFC11441495 The Citroen Dealer I bought it from told me it was old stock and gave about £12,000 discount, but they didn't give a date of manufacture. They registered it 30th July 2009 to get their sales bonus, although it didn't arrive there till about 5th August and I got it on the 7th. I noticed 14.08 stamped on the wheels which I think is the 14th week of 2008 but I can't put it any closer than between those 2 dates. Would be interesting to know when the date of manufacture was, if only to know whether it is supposed to judder.

Mel B - 2010-10-04 9:27 PM

One thing that I would really, really like to know is the answer to the following:

Is the current, ie produced in 2010 Fiat X250, categorically free from the defect? :-S

It would be useful if someone with the full and total truthful facts could answer that please!!!! :-D

I bought a new swift bolero in july this year its on the ducati 2.3 engine 6 spd etc , lovely motor , i use it every day , its my only vehicle , ive reversed it many times up slopes etc no probs whatsoever with anything , brilliant motor .

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-05 5:53 PM

Just call or pop into a Fiat agent.......

http://www.fiatforum.com/stilo/151618-vin-decoder.html

Thanks for the reply. No dealer here unfortunately, the one I bought it from is 60 miles away. I tried the link which says it needs Internet Exploder (I'm on Firefox) So I tried again on Internet Exploder and it just crashes :(

This is my VIN Number (don't know whether it will be on FIAT Database as its a Citroen) VF7YDBMFC11441495

I've got the Citroen Spare Parts DVDs, and the Fiat Ducato X250 Workshop Manual CD, but no luck with the Date there unfortunately (The CD and DVDs may be older than the vehicle?)

fred grant - 2010-10-05 7:10 PM

a ducati 2.3??? now thats serious bikin my ansums.

fastfred

Ha ha your right there fred what abike eh ? , its me fat fingures and a matter of the o and the i being too close together ya know . :-D

Peter James - 2010-10-05 7:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. No dealer here unfortunately, the one I bought it from is 60 miles away. I tried the link which says it needs Internet Exploder (I'm on Firefox) So I tried again on Internet Exploder and it just crashes :(

This is my VIN Number (don't know whether it will be on FIAT Database as its a Citroen) VF7YDBMFC11441495

I've got the Citroen Spare Parts DVDs, and the Fiat Ducato X250 Workshop Manual CD, but no luck with the Date there unfortunately (The CD and DVDs may be older than the vehicle?)

Hi James,

According to my access to data your vehicle was built 6th March 2008 which does not tie in with your DOM on wheels..week 14. However this could be if it is a coach build with alloy wheels the coach builder has fitted the wheels and tyres, or coach builder removes wheels and refits after building. The records I have access to are not guaranteed to be correct.

I suggest for confirmation of date of build you contact Citroen Customer Services.

Jon.

Guest Peter James
Brambles - 2010-10-05 11:12 PM

Peter James - 2010-10-05 7:44 PM

Hi James,

According to my access to data your vehicle was built 6th March 2008 which does not tie in with your DOM on wheels..week 14. However this could be if it is a coach build with alloy wheels the coach builder has fitted the wheels and tyres, or coach builder removes wheels and refits after building. The records I have access to are not guaranteed to be correct.

I suggest for confirmation of date of build you contact Citroen Customer Services.

Jon.

Hi Jon

Thanks for looking. It was a normal Citroen Commercial Van I have fitted out, and the wheels look just the standard 16" pressed steel type. According to the speedometer on the Sat Nav at 2000 revs it does 8mph in first gear, or 9mph in reverse gear.

Archived