Romantic Road

Hawcara

Hi,

We did it last year and it was absolutely great and no problem at all, plenty of Stellplatz on the route and some fantastic towns and castles to see, you can do it from Wurzburg to Fussen in a couple of days if you really want to or spend a week or two, we may be bias as we do favour Germany over most other European countries.

The roads themselves are normal with no problems at all, you may wish to check some of the towns against the German Umwelt zones, we didn't have any problems.

http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php

We have done the Romantic Road the last couple of years, its very beautiful and ending up at Fussen where there is a large very good Stal.

If you Google the Romantic Straz it will show you a map of all the towns that branch beside the road and on it, then you can plan which ones you want to visit.

I can also recommend travelling along the Mosel you are spoilt for choice there, you can find a stal in almost every village.

Its a matter of choice but we prefer Germany to France, they are very different! having said that we have never ventured further than the Loure and the Dordogne.

Hi, Been there, done that, sent the postcards, bought the T shirts.

We were there back in june, from Rothenburg ob der Tauber, southbound down to Fussen . Medieval Villages all restored , not tumbledown like Corfe Castle, and now tourist traps all selling similar tat. Interesting old architecture, and there are plenty of Stellplatz on the route.

Personally I wasnt overly impressed with scenery until getting down to Fussen. Good roads throughout.

Pleased that we went, but repeat visit not high priority

tonyg3nwl

497114640_Romanticmeal.jpg.63f772a751540d07ae78418b3e3f6709.jpg

fussencastle.jpg.fdb6f49228f4c34fad7df800842f83fa.jpg

Hawcara - 2010-09-22 5:37 PM

Whilst in France this year, a chap mentioned the Romantic Road in Germany. I've looked it up on the net, but it seems like a hard work.

Where is it and has anyone done it, the road that is?

Thank you for any comments. *-)

I think it would be more descriptive if it was called the Romantic ROUTE rather than the Romantic road :-S as I had like many I suspect imagined the Road would go through all these Towns and Villages!! NOT so! you do have to deviate from the road to go to many of the places.

The countryside does get more beautiful the nearer you get to Fussen , but I do like the Towns and the picturesque buildings on route. Lake Konstanz and the Black Forest area WE found that there wasnt as many Stalz and were very busy on the Campsites.

Archived