Shipping to USA

Guest John R

Guest John R
I would like to take my own motorhome to the USA for a year of travelling. Can anyone give me any leads to shipping companies or costs? ALso has anyone had experience of this sort of venture? Thanks John

Guest Richard S
I haven't had any experience of shipping vehicles to the USA, but I lived in California from 1994 - 99 and became very interested in the motorhome scene there. Quite honestly, I think you would be better renting a US motorhome; it will have the right fittings, the right electrics etc and be the right size. Also insurance would probably be difficult for a UK specified vehicle. Better still would be to find a yank who will do a swap. Good luck!

• 2 years later...
Guest JudgeMental
It is common for Germans to do this either individually or in organised groups. Have a look on "Promobil" website via automatic translator...

[QUOTE]John R - 2005-01-07 1:38 PM I would like to take my own motorhome to the USA for a year of travelling. Can anyone give me any leads to shipping companies or costs? ALso has anyone had experience of this sort of venture? Thanks John[/QUOTE]

There is a view that renting a car and using motels is actually cheaper than renting a motorhome and using US campsites, which tend to be expensive.

Unless your motorhome is US manufactured, think hard.  Spares etc for European vehicles are not necessarily easy to get should you have trouble, and you'll need to convert your electrics or get some kind of transformer for your hook up, unless you are certain that you will not need mains power at all.  US is 110V, not 230V.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2007-01-22 12:03 AM

[QUOTE]John R - 2005-01-07 1:38 PM I would like to take my own motorhome to the USA for a year of travelling. Can anyone give me any leads to shipping companies or costs? ALso has anyone had experience of this sort of venture? Thanks John[/QUOTE]

There is a view that renting a car and using motels is actually cheaper than renting a motorhome and using US campsites, which tend to be expensive.

Unless your motorhome is US manufactured, think hard.  Spares etc for European vehicles are not necessarily easy to get should you have trouble, and you'll need to convert your electrics or get some kind of transformer for your hook up, unless you are certain that you will not need mains power at all.  US is 110V, not 230V.

[/QUOTE] better still take a Mercedes motorhome - you can get parts for them in the states cos they sell Mercedes vans there (rebadged Chrysler)

MMM published an article about this in February 2003. You may still be able to get the back issue. I think hiring an "American" would work out far more expensive. Buying one is an option but you may find you will need American driving licences for the larger ones for that length of time ? Going from motel to motel would possibly be cheaper but not the same!!! I would love to do it, that is why I have investigated it a little but family ties currently prevent it. peedee

The book I was talking about is ' Home on the Road for US' by Sheryl Clark. You can only get it from Scatty But Happy Books, Penmarlow, Box's Shop, Widemouth Bay, Bude, Cornwall EX23 ONB Cheques should be made payable to Scatty But Happy Books. Great read

Looking at my notes from the MMM article try: Jenkar Shipping Ltd Jenkar House Watergate Methley LS26 1XX 01977-605050 Cost about £1500 I also recall you can ship from Liverpool, at least you could, but cannot find anything further about this. peedee Pe

[QUOTE]peedee - 2007-01-23 7:35 PM I also recall you can ship from Liverpool, at least you could, but cannot find anything further about this.[/QUOTE] Seeing the striken ship on the news with all it's cargo getting washed up on the shore would you really want to risk your pride and joy ending up like that?! Whilst it seems a nice idea to ship your 'van abroad, with all the hassle that it appears you might have, would it really be worth it even if the costs etc were similar to getting one whilst your out there and then selling it before you return (assuming you have the money to be able to do this), or renting one? I don't know but I would hazard a guess probably not, but I hope you prove me wrong! (lol)

Another angle worth looking at, that is if you can still do it. You used to be able to buy new vehicles under an export scheme as long as you took them out of the country within the year you did not pay "purchase" tax on the vehicle. You could even use it in this country for a number of months then export it to the States use it there and then bring it back again? By that time you are importing a near two year old vehicle, I wonder what if any duty would be due? Just a thought and I have no idea of the likely outcome. peedee

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2007-01-23 5:32 PM

[QUOTE]messerschmitt owner - 2007-01-23 4:44 PM  better still take a Mercedes motorhome - you can get parts for them in the states cos they sell Mercedes vans there (rebadged Chrysler)[/QUOTE]

Yes, but it still won't "do" 110V mains!

[/QUOTE] can't be difficult to do a step up from 110 to 240 or even just to do a partial rewire to fit plugs - some equipment works on both 110 and 240 (like laptops, portable tvs, etc). I bet I could convert everything apart from the fridge (that runs off 12v and gas anyway) and battery charging for the leisure battery in about two hours with circuit breakers and everything needed - even the leisure battery won't be difficult - one just needs a battery charger than runs 110v! It's called improvisation and it doesn't need to be difficult or dangerous. Campbell

also - when looking at this and thinking of a $2 exchange rate, I'd be over there with a car hired for about three weeks and I'd buy an rv there and then sell it at the end of the trip - hey, if it works for the Kiwis and Aussies here, then it can't be all bad. [url=http://motors.listings.ebay.com/RVs-and-Campers_Motorized-RVs_W0QQfasiZ1QQfcclZ1QQfclZ3QQfrppZ50QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3QQsacatZ50055QQsascsZ2QQsbrbinZtQQsbrsrtZdQQsocmdZListingItemList]eBay[/url]

Archived