Cold waether storage

Wingpete

Last year, I drained down everything I could, apart from the small amount of water retained in the bathroom tap body.

Only could have been few cc's but enough to freeze and fracture the plastic. One expensive replacement plus inconvenience of 240 mile round trip to Newark when replacement came in.

Am thinking I need to avoid that recurring, and wonder how ?

One idea I had was to wrap the tap in wool or similar, but understand that is unlikely to do the job.

Might consider dismantling the tap so removing all water retension.

Or perhaps, leaving a low wattage electric heater on all the time when cold seems imminent. Trouble is, my van is in store at secure compound some 5 miles away, and it gets cold there before where I live.

Would it be too risky to leave the electric heater on 24/7, even with it being on lowest setting, but unattended most of the time.

Would also have to talk it through with the site owner of course, as they control the EHU. Thanks for observations to come !

(lol)

I used to remove the things like the shower head and store at home, if this is not possible, with all the drain points open blowing down the taps, starting at the highest, you should be able to remove any residual water.

You do need a pair of strong lungs, and a large mouth, I always get the wife to do it. :-D

Did you leave the tap in the central open position after draining down? That's the recommended way to avoid any ice build up in the system with nowhere to push it's way out to, which appears to be what's happened with your tap.

pkc's idea is a good one, but I'd suggest using a pump and a piece of hoze pipe or something that you can get to fit on the tap spout.

Unless of course you've got a good pair of lungs and are not a 'wimp' with no puff like pkc!!! (lol)

Wingpete - 2010-09-23 12:58 PM

Or perhaps, leaving a low wattage electric heater on all the time when cold seems imminent.

Would it be too risky to leave the electric heater on 24/7, even with it being on lowest setting, but unattended most of the time.

Hi Pete,

We're lucky in that our MH is parked on the front drive at home so can be plugged in easily whenever we want.

In the winter I leave a 2 KW thermostatically controlled oil filled radiator switched on so that it automatically comes on to prevent frost damage.

I bought it from Screwfix a couple of years ago and is something like this one Link.

I also drain the system down and leave all the mixer taps in the central position as a belt and braces approach and (touchwood) have suffered no damage to date.

Keith.

Done that. Alll I found was lobster coloured Brits on Red Barrel and all day breakfasts, strolling around in Ex-army fatigues in beer bellies. Oh ! And a good number of Essex girls types ! :$

Got invited to various parties from long termers, like bridge (?) darts, walkies and swinging (Never could manage to get that high *-) )

Archived