Switzerland Road Tolls

alanmac

This country requires a vignette for vehicles up to 3500Kgs. Above that you pay a toll based upon mileage - it says in the web site I have found.

However I can't find another site which explains what,why and how vehicles above this are charged.

Can anyone please point me to a web site that provides more info ?

Thanks in anticipation

Hi;

Commercial HGV's are charged on a mileage rate in Switzerland but private vehicles over 3500kg GVW (ie heavier motorhomes) are charged on the duration period you are travelling on the road in the country, not mileage.

At the border, you need to go to the customs booth with your V5 and fill out a 'Heavy Vehicle Declaration' Form. They are always prominently available.

There are 4 different tariffs...

A daily fee of 3.25Chf (subject to a minimum fee of 25Chf).

A monthly fee of 58.50Chf.

A yearly fee of 650Chf.

A 10 'seperate day pass' fee of 32.50Chf. (This is usually the most cost effective option if you are just passing through Switzerland).

To use the 10 day pass you need to enter the day you intend to travel in one of the ten entries before you start driving, and so on until all 10 entries are used up, these do not have to be consecutive days. This pass is valid for a year from the day of stamping, so theoretically you can use it for several trips through the country within one calendar year.

Its also worth noting that this tax applies to all Swiss roads, not just motorways.

Can't help with a website link but no doubt someone will.

Pete

peejay - 2010-09-24 9:52 PM Its also worth noting that this tax applies to all Swiss roads, not just motorways

Hi peter. This is interesting, we came back from a 4 week European trip where we kept off all the motorway systems in the 7 countries that we visited (except a dash down to Annecy because of lingering to long around Troyes). I was totally unaware of any form of tax for tourist's on the ordinary roads in Switzerland. I have been there a few times and never had any problems so have I been lucky or can you enlighten me more as to where you found this particular information from. I'm well aware of the M/way tax.  

Cheers Dave

Forgot to mention, we were in Switzerland for 4 days.

Dave,

Peejay's info is entirely correct, but I'm not sure if you've interpreted correctly.

Vehicles up to 3.5t are only subject to a toll on Swiss motorways.

*Above 3.5t*, however, payment is required for use of *any* road in Switzerland, and the rates are as Peejay quotes.

One side effect of this is that for many circumstances, a holiday in Switzerland in a 'van over 3.5t can be cheaper than for one under, since the cost of an annual vignette is greater than the purchase of a certain number of days, quite sufficient for a week or so's stay if you are not revisiting within the year.

But, if all you are doing is transiting, as opposed to touring, Switzerland, it is cheaper to go round via Austria.  Head for Fussen in Bavaria, exit South to Austria, take Fern pass to Landeck (go through Landeck to avoid tunnel, which is now part of autobahn), then Reschenpass to Italy.  Brings you out at Resia/Reschen, at the head of the Adige valley, then Merano/Bolzano/Garda/Verona.  Nice road, easy gradients, good scenery: wiggles a bit, but no tolls.

peejay - 2010-09-24 9:52 PM

Hi;

Commercial HGV's are charged on a mileage rate in Switzerland but private vehicles over 3500kg GVW (ie heavier motorhomes) are charged on the duration period you are travelling on the road in the country, not mileage.

Just for clarity the charge is not for the period you are travelling on the road but for the period that the vehicle is in Switzerland, on the road or not. Also the vignette system is not restricted only to motorways, there are some A class roads included but not many.

Ron

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2010-09-26 4:31 PM

But, if all you are doing is transiting, as opposed to touring, Switzerland, it is cheaper to go round via Austria.  Head for Fussen in Bavaria, exit South to Austria, take Fern pass to Landeck (go through Landeck to avoid tunnel, which is now part of autobahn), then Reschenpass to Italy.  Brings you out at Resia/Reschen, at the head of the Adige valley, then Merano/Bolzano/Garda/Verona.  Nice road, easy gradients, good scenery: wiggles a bit, but no tolls.

Great Post, Thank You

Hi, Having just returned from a round trip to Italy I can give you a reply based on experience.

If your motorhome is 3500kgs or under then you can purchaes a vignette either at the Border or in advance from the Swiss Tourist Office in London via the internet.

If you are over 3500kgs, we are 4000kgs, then you stop at the Border and purchase a Permit which costs £21.55 based on £1 = CHF 1.50786 and that it it! What you must do is enter each day that you are on the road in Switzerland. If you leave and then re-enter it is likely that they will check the form!

All the Border guards are helpful and most speak good English and they will know what you need.

Pas de Panique!!! (lol)

Archived