bi-ennial service charges.

tonyg3nwl

Hi, My motorhome is booked for base vehicle service next week , and I have just been quoted by Peugeot ( for x250 type and told that service cost is just over £400. This includes changing brake fluid. This is to maintain Peugeot warranty conditions. (service intervals at 2 years)

After only 10000 miles ( 2 years old anniversary 1st october)this seems to me to excessively high charges, but Peugeot say it is standard rate for service on this vehicle, and they will need it for 3 hours or thereabouts.

This is for Base vehicle service, and doesnt include habitation checks (£99 at marquis)

I have read the service book and most items are listed as "Check ..." and change brake fluid, and filters.

Is this a realistic charge or am I being ripped off locally.

tonyg3nwl

try essanjay in poole they are fiat agents and motorhomers very friendly and always do a good job on all aspects of service base and habitation.nice to find people you can trust. as said providing service is carried out to peugeot spec and book stamped and invoiced can't see any warranty issues, ask them and they will put you right.

Guest JudgeMental

Ford seem to be better value...3 hours and £400 dont take a maths genius does it! *-)

I am changing to a Fiat panel van and I must say not to impressed with service network here in south London. did a search on fiat site for commercial service centres, and when I called nearest they said "no servicing here mate we only sell em" :-S

tonyg3nwl - 2010-09-25 10:00 AM

Hi, My motorhome is booked for base vehicle service next week , and I have just been quoted by Peugeot ( for x250 type and told that service cost is just over £400. This includes changing brake fluid. This is to maintain Peugeot warranty conditions. (service intervals at 2 years)

Is this a realistic charge or am I being ripped off locally.

tonyg3nwl

Hi,

I have been quoted £420 by my local Peugeot dealer (at Bilston, Wolverhampton) so that would seem to be "the Peugeot main dealer price". As we will have done about 23000 miles when the service is due and have had some warranty work done, including a new clutch and lowere reverse gear etc we are willing to use the main dealer and hopefully will have no problems if we need any warranty work done in the third year. (Of course we hope we won't need further warranty work but who can tell?)

Guest Peter James

'Which' have done many mystery shopping tests on garage servicing. To summarize No garage did all the servicing they charged for, and there was no difference between franchised dealers and others.

Brake fluid can absorb moisture which lowers the boiling point. So if you are the sort of 'driver' that severely overheats your brakes it could boil in the system, reducing the effectiveness of your brakes when you need them most. (This is more of a problem with inexperienced heavy motorhome drivers who are only used to driving lightweight cars where overheating brakes is not a problem) So vehicle manufacturers cover themselves by saying change the fluid regularly. Whether the garage actually changes it is another matter. The Which reports prove many do not.

In any case if you are daft enough to get your brakes that hot you are probably more likely to lose them through brake fade than boiling the fluid.

I was quoted £420 at a local Peugeot Dealer.

The old problem is if you don`t comply with the service requirements and need to claim things can get difficult.

I had moisture in a rear light of my PVC, the local Peugeot Dealer looked in anticipation of a "no" as he asked if I had had the one year check done (about £70 on Peugeot X250) fortunately I had and it deflated him somewhat.

The correct oil alone comes to around £70.

They did use FULLY Synthetic I hope.

That's why I do my own even from new. Oil change 30 Mins £70, Filter about £8 10 Mins, Brake fluid change 1Hr + £5 for fluid using automatic bleeder from Halfords. £83 total.

Guest JudgeMental
peter - 2010-09-28 11:32 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-09-25 3:42 PM

someone just Pm'd me this link...May be worth investigation. Not sure why they didn't stick it on here themselves.......

http://www.serviceavan.com/fiat-van-service.html

Perhaps they thought that it needed your approval first. We all know how bolshy your'e getting lately. :D

Indeed.. I have hardened up dont'cha know, getting far to lenient of late *-)

By "Bolshy" do you mean Bolshevik? Ergo a blooming communist!! Damn your eyes sir! :D

Guest Peter James

When I bought my new X250 van last year there was no handbook with it, so I asked the seller, a Franchised Dealer established over 100 years, which oil to use. He said 10w 40 semi synthetic. They posted the handbook on to me which confirms that grade of oil as suitable. A3 B3 B4. Synthetic oil is recommended for more arduous conditions / temperature ranges than we get in Britain down to Spain.

I got this grade of oil 10w 40 A3 B3 B4 semi synthetic from Trago Mills, 5 litre bottle £9.59. Identical bottle in Boyes £15, Haven't looked in Halfords as with their prices I only go there to get things I couldn't get anywhere else.

Peter James - 2010-09-29 10:12 AM

When I bought my new X250 van last year there was no handbook with it, so I asked the seller, a Franchised Dealer established over 100 years, which oil to use. He said 10w 40 semi synthetic. They posted the handbook on to me which confirms that grade of oil as suitable. A3 B3 B4. Synthetic oil is recommended for more arduous conditions / temperature ranges than we get in Britain down to Spain.

I got this grade of oil 10w 40 A3 B3 B4 semi synthetic from Trago Mills, 5 litre bottle £9.59. Identical bottle in Boyes £15, Haven't looked in Halfords as with their prices I only go there to get things I couldn't get anywhere else.

Quite how someone can pay a fortune for a new van and then use £9.50 per container of oil in it is beyond me. But......It's your van you use what you like. I'm fairly thrifty, but I would always use the best oil in a vehicle costing close on 50 grand. Especially as I don't have to pay labour charges.

Guest Peter James
peter - 2010-09-29 11:01 PM

Peter James - 2010-09-29 10:12 AM

Quite how someone can pay a fortune for a new van and then use £9.50 per container of oil in it is beyond me. But......It's your van you use what you like. I'm fairly thrifty, but I would always use the best oil in a vehicle costing close on 50 grand. Especially as I don't have to pay labour charges.

The mistake you are making is only seeing the price (£9.59) and not the quality (10w 40 A3 B3 B4 )

This quality is recommended in the Vehicle Manufacturer's Handbook, and used by their Franchised Dealer.

Basing the average British motorhome on a Fiat was the biggest con ever >:-(

My Trannie is serviced by my local garage at £80 a year (including ALL Ford servicing requirements); it will will last for another billion miles before I finally tire of it, sell it to a builder, who will thrash it for another billion miles, and then sell it to a 'traveller', who will thrash it to its ultimate death sometime in 2036.

My 'van will then hang its head in shame for only enduring 40 years of abuse, a light-weight in commercial vehicle circles :D

Please stop buying Sevel X2/50's and support good ol' Henry Ford. You are already too late to support Iveco (a Ford partner), who have now gone bankrupt - shame on you >:-)

Guest Peter James
oldlowie - 2010-09-29 11:34 PM

Basing the average British motorhome on a Fiat was the biggest con ever >:-(

My Trannie is serviced by my local garage at £80 a year (including ALL Ford servicing requirements); it will will last for another billion miles before I finally tire of it, sell it to a builder, who will thrash it for another billion miles, and then sell it to a 'traveller', who will thrash it to its ultimate death sometime in 2036.

My 'van will then hang its head in shame for only enduring 40 years of abuse, a light-weight in commercial vehicle circles :D

Please stop buying Sevel X2/50's and support good ol' Henry Ford. You are already too late to support Iveco (a Ford partner), who have now gone bankrupt - shame on you >:-)

Erm.. My Sevel X250 has got a Ford Transit engine in it. (The Transit engine is used in the Peugeot and Citroen 100hp and 120hp versions, and the Fiat 100hp version)

Peter James - 2010-09-29 11:42 PM

Erm.. My Sevel X250 has got a Ford Transit engine in it. (The Transit engine is used in the Peugeot and Citroen 100hp and 120hp versions, and the Fiat 100hp version)

Good grief 8-) - is nothing sacred? :D :D :D

My post should liven up the thread a bit, though... :$

Peter James - 2010-09-29 11:42 PM

Erm.. My Sevel X250 has got a Ford Transit engine in it. (The Transit engine is used in the Peugeot and Citroen 100hp and 120hp versions, and the Fiat 100hp version)[/quote

I just wonder how peugeot react when you consider their warranty is only valid when your service is done using genuine peugeot parts

Do they insist on peugeot engine parts ???

tonyg3nwl

There have been a few technical inaccuaracies in recent posts, and I think they had better be addressed;

Why support Ford? They don't make any transit's here any more. They have abandoned us so why help them? Just because fleet managers are stupid does not mean we have to be.

Iveco has not gone bust. Still part of Fiat, although this may change next year when the Fiat Auto and Industrial elements are de-merged.

Fiat specify 5W 40 oil (NOT 10W 40) for all vans made since 2005 and the Selenia branded oil mentioned in the handbook is a semi-synthetic; therefore the prices charged by dealers are an absolute rip off. We buy Gulf 5W 40 full synthetic at less than half the price of the Fiat one, even in 200 litre barrels. In fact many full synthetics are sold (to the trade) at similar or cheaper prices than semi synthetics and if you think about it, it makes sense because it is the base oil that has gone up in price so much in recent years and synthetics use little or no mineral oil in their composition.

And another thing... The 2.2 engine in the Transit and X250 is supposedly a joint venture between Ford and PSA but in truth there is nothing Ford about it. The only real Ford engine is the 2.4 and it's a dog (in our experience).

Nick

Guest JudgeMental
oldlowie - 2010-09-29 11:34 PM

I would if it could put on a bit of girth on, and be a reasonable width alternative to the Fiat...down sizing to a panel van and you think Fiat have the coachbuilt sector sewn up, at least some decent choices still among them....... BUT in a panel van, forget it unless you have funds for VW/Merc :-S

Archived