Help Fiat 2.8jtd cam belt

takeaflight

Whatever you do..do not..repeat do not miss the Cam belt servicing/exchange.

There was I motoring steadily..55Mph..nice clear road..sun shining..bang/bump..loss of power.crunching sound..

in clutch..freewheel..made it to a car park..lucky.

AA..towed home..

Cam belt snapped..camshaft snapped..pistons assumed a life of their own.Mine was a

Renault base..it does not matter.. they are all the same..costs..nearly £1200 to put right..it still does not sound good..other problems are just around the corner.

Do not provaricate about the belts..it aint worth it

Get it changed now, either through the supplying dealer or negotiate a discount to cover the cost of having it done yourself but get it done. Most belts look perfectly good when they're changed but if you'd seen the damage a broken belt can and will cause you'd not be asking anymore questions.

D.

Quite agree with Dave, I have often thought that 5 years or 72000 miles is too soon, and they always seem to be ok when they are removed but there have been some surprises with tensioners that were in a poor state and that is enough to scare me.

I have this morning had a call from an owner in Melton Mowbray that needed some advice because his belt has failed and did not enjoy telling him that he needs a replacement engine and by the time it is fitted it will cost over £3000 plus VAT. I strongly suspect that he wishes that he had his belt changed before it failed.

How would you feel?

Nick

Hi, just purchased a 2.8jtd ( private purchase ) it is a 2006 and was mot`d just before i bought it, the garage left a note to say as it is 4 years old it needs the belt replacing. have also read that it is the age of the belt that matters, not so much the miles.

casey - 2010-09-29 5:59 PM

Hi, just purchased a 2.8jtd ( private purchase ) it is a 2006 and was mot`d just before i bought it, the garage left a note to say as it is 4 years old it needs the belt replacing. have also read that it is the age of the belt that matters, not so much the miles.

But normally in commercial vehicle mode, the mileage would come up well before the ageing timescale.

So both are equally applicable, all depending on which indicator the vehicle reaches first. Same as Servicing XX months OR XX miles.

It's not worth not doing it as it only takes a couple of hours to do yourself anyway. Providing of course you have the tools and know what your'e doing.

its a toss up wether the cam belt has been flapping around the cam cogs and getting worn around the geared teeth or been sitting for long periods unloved and getting bendy bits in what should be a flexiable cam belt.

Begs the question wether the cam belt should be changed at 3 years on a new mortorhome because the engine has been lying around the factory that made it, then Fiats whilst having a dodgy gearbox fitted, then to the M/home converters whilst they build it and finally the dealers forcourt

The cambelt may be 2 to 3 years old, before you drive a new motorhome of the dealers forcourt.

Mmmmmm !

Rgds

Right, that's it! Parannoia has set in. So I'm changing my cam belt every 6 months from now on. Just to be on the safe side.

Archived