Just finished our 1st MH hire

MusicRab

Just finished a week with a Burstner Aviano I684, our very 1st motorhome/'van of any variety. Good value hire through a well known motor holme hire company. We may buy a MH when we're both free but here are my comments with a couple of questions.

Good

1. 21' was easy to drive and manoeuvre

2. Cruise control great

3. mpg at 28 when we finished the week

4. fixed bed good for me (6'1") especially when parked flat(*)

5. electrics, gas and plumbing all excellent (esp. gas heating to heat wash room in the cold mornings!)

6. big fridge, good oven, good hob

7. Cassette loo very impressed

8. good storage

No-so-good

1. I think a microwave would be better than a freezer (we don't live out of a freezer normally)

2. awkard (height and use) grill

3. (*) Hire 'van had no chocks/raisers-whatever they're called

4. I don't like the lounge layout; for 2 of us we never used the side-settee; forward facing seats too upright (but am aware this is for seat-belted occupants); are there any other varieties of lounge? eg opposite facing settee might be more comfortable (not sure if this is possible with 21' though)

Questions

1. The "captains" seats were great for watching TV etc; but there was no adjustment of the base seat in terms of angle; it angles slightly down and makes driving comfort a nightmare. Are there any 'vans that allow the angle of the base-seat to be tilted?

2. Waste water; none of the (admitedly) small sites we were on had disposal for our dirty water; When I asked one site owner didn't have a clue; what's the usual way to get around this? Guess its to use a portable dirty water " barrow" (I saw some caravans with these).

I was very impressed. I want to try something shorter next time with a bed-above-forward-lounge that a. will take my 6'1" and b. be easy to lower/raise.

Cheers

--

Ian

Guest JudgeMental

Glad you enjoyed the experience, are you initialled to drive a camper over 3500kg with your licence? As an A class and any largish van needs to be 3850 -4000 kg IMO to be anywhere near practical, and legal come to that.......

something you may not of considered when hiring but important when buying.

Hi

Answers:

1 Yes, including Burstners. In particular any m/h with Aguti seats will adjust for rake.

2 Often site owners are happy for you to water the trees, hedges etc. rather than provide drains for waste water. We carry a bucket to facilitate this (though emptying 100 litres of waste water by bucket isn't our first choice - so we look very carefully for drain points first)

P&L

Welcome, don't wait if you liked it get a van now, we got one a couple of years before we intended never regretted it.

Most vans certainly German ones have the option of ISRI or Aguti seats which have fully adjustable bases.

Can't agree about the freezer verses microwave, we have the large fridge freezer would not have a van without it means we can have best part of a weeks food on-board. Microwaves are OK in caravans where you have to use sites I think they are a waste of time in a Motorhome as I never use hook ups.

Sounds like a Hymer B class 544 might suit you & the latest ones have the option of electric bed lowering.

...Microwaves are OK in caravans where you have to use sites I think they are a waste of time in a Motorhome as I never use hook ups....

Thanks for the info! I chose the sites we stayed at based on location rather than facilities - what's the point in being on a posh site if you're miles from where you want to be! - BUT still had a min req (this was our first time out remember) for electric and chemical disposal.

Perhaps as we get more adventurous the need for electric hook-up will diminish!?

Guest JudgeMental
MusicRab - 2010-09-27 5:32 PM

I'm happy with the big fridge for lots of cooled beer!

See.. thats why its good that you popped in here to learn from the ex spurts :-S

In the Med in high summer (27-40 deg C if you are lucky) most fridges are very inefficient and hardly cool at all, although better overnight when temps drop

Soooo a freezer ain't a luxury, its a blooming necessity God dammit! :-D

Ah yes, but motorhomes have wheels, and their owners ideas and ambitions!  Once you get one I'm pretty sure you'll be tempted further south than the IoW, and then that freezer will seem more beneficial.

About the only thing microwaves are fit for, IMO, is heating pre-prepared meals, and the only thing pre-prepared meals are fit for, is the bin! :-)

No oven, no grill, just a hob, and keep the cooking fresh and simple.  All the rest just waste valuable space.

JudgeMental - 2010-09-27 5:40 PM

See.. thats why its good that you popped in here to learn from the ex spurts :-S

In the Med in high summer (27-40 deg C if you are lucky) most fridges are very inefficient and hardly cool at all, although better overnight when temps drop

Soooo a freezer ain't a luxury, its a blooming necessity God dammit! :-D

New ones seem a lot better our TEC Tower worked fine in 34 deg a few weeks ago in France never turned the thermostat past mid way. First fridge I've had that has worked properly above 25 deg, most impressed.

Exactly beer counts as food in my book. (lol) (lol) (lol)

Reminds me of a few years ago with the caravan we were going away for the weekend & I said I've packed the fridge dear, arrive on site SWMBO was not happy when she opened the fridge, it was well stocked, beer, gin & tonic but no food. :$

Sorry to side track this.. :$

but whilst on the topic of loading the fridge...

...I alwayd use to load ours' with rucks of tins of beer..but recently whilst carrying the plastic crate out to the van and realising just how heavy it all was,I got concerned that I was going to end up causing damage to the fridge linning/shelf locating luggs(..what with the jolting caused by potholes etc).

So I've started to travel with them in cool bags and transfer them to the fridge once on site...

Am I worrying over nothing do you think?...

Once again..sorry for de-railing the thread.. *-)

Archived