Martins of Exeter

Hawcara

Dont know if I am breaking forum rules, but has anyone had experience of Martins of Exeter?

They seem to have good stock on occasion. Thus should we purchase a van from them wondered what their attitude to warranty work was etc.

Have done a search on this site but turned up little so far.

Thank you *-)

Hi. I never bought my current motorhome from martins but did buy our first caravan from them many years ago and had no problems. My father-in-law purchased his motorhome from martins of Exeter and is more than happy with it and the service and he recently part-ex it for a caravan at martins again. Very helpfull and have always got plenty in stock.

Thank you all for your contributions.

I have looked on MH Facts and there seems to be a mixed bag.

My enquiry relates to caravans and dealers, most of the quality issues stemmed from the latter.

Now moving to a motorhome and spending more money this issue becomes even more pressing.

Guest Peter James

Just a thought, but I get the feeling that people who are not happy tend to gravitate to internet forums to complain, whilst those who are happy keep quiet.

I read so many complaints about X250 reversing judder on internet forums, that I decided to try and get a more representative sample by talking to X250 van drivers parked on the motorway services. Once they realized I was not trying to sell them anything, all seemed friendly and happy to talk about their vans. Of the 15 that I spoke to all were happy with their X250 vans, and not one had even heard of the reversing judder problem. Yet if you took a sample of 15 posting on internet forums you would probably find the majority not happy.

Peter,

You have posted this same line on a another thread, so, i'll reply the same way; White van men who drive Sevel X250's (and they are in the minority compared to Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit drivers, by at least 10 to 1) Don't pay upwards of £40,000 for the pleasure of driving one, usually don't have to worry about repairs anyway. So, I think your 'Research' was flawed from the start. If you said you had asked Drivers of X250 based Motorhomes then it might have had more relevence.

As they actually OWN these vehicles, spend their leisure time driving and living in them and are a far better yardstick as to how they perform (which is what these Forums are about after all ). The Vehicles coming off the assy. lines are NOW no doubt ok, at reversing uphill (a quite fundemental requirement I think) But the ones first released in late 2006 then 2007/8 early 2009 were VERY suspect as to this abilty without destroying Clutch, Gearbox and some the DMF, sometimes All three, and it wasn't entirely weight related either, as Andy Stothert's PVC is on it's Third Gearbox.

Sorry for the diversion, have no experience of Martin's but 'Read the forum's' Ray. ;-)

Guest Peter James
Rayjsj - 2010-10-01 10:39 AM

Peter,

You have posted this same line on a another thread, so, i'll reply the same way; White van men who drive Sevel X250's (and they are in the minority compared to Mercedes Sprinter and Ford Transit drivers, by at least 10 to 1) Don't pay upwards of £40,000 for the pleasure of driving one, usually don't have to worry about repairs anyway. So, I think your 'Research' was flawed from the start. If you said you had asked Drivers of X250 based Motorhomes then it might have had more relevence.

As they actually OWN these vehicles, spend their leisure time driving and living in them and are a far better yardstick as to how they perform (which is what these Forums are about after all ). The Vehicles coming off the assy. lines are NOW no doubt ok, at reversing uphill (a quite fundemental requirement I think) But the ones first released in late 2006 then 2007/8 early 2009 were VERY suspect as to this abilty without destroying Clutch, Gearbox and some the DMF, sometimes All three, and it wasn't entirely weight related either, as Andy Stothert's PVC is on it's Third Gearbox.

Sorry for the diversion, have no experience of Martin's but 'Read the forum's' Ray. ;-)

From what I have seen across the channel there are more X250s, you could be right about here though. I asked whitevanmen because I bought mine as a new commercial van, and was naturally more interested in whether I should take my own van back. In the end I decided against it as it isn't bad, and I thought it could be made worse as I doubt a commercial garage would strip and rebuild the gearbox to factory standards.

Guest JudgeMental

On top or Rays excellent summery, when does white van man have to reverse on to wet grass *-)

live in denial if you want, but please dont try and bamboozle people into thinking there are no faults with early Fiats reversing

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-01 12:08 PM

On top or Rays excellent summery, when does white van man have to reverse on to wet grass *-)

live in denial if you want, but please dont try and bamboozle people into thinking there are no faults with early Fiats reversing

It isn't just the whitevanmen I spoke to. None of the professional van reviewers I have seen have even found this gearbox/judder problem either. The worst thing they found to say about the X250 is 'model designations can confuse'

http://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/peugeot/boxer-2006.aspx

http://www.whatvan.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=556&Itemid=91

Peter, our business has many trade customers who are your typical "white van man".

Out of curiosity I asked 2 of them who have X/250 if they knew of and had experienced the judder. Both of them didn't know what I was talking about.

I went out with them in their vans which were nicely loaded found a steep hill and reversed up. Both were amazed to experienced the judder. They went away quite disturbed. Ok my sample is smaller than yours but 100% different.

I own a Fiat based motorhome and would never deny the problem existed, although admirably sorted after the now well documented fixes. You must be living on a different planet if you think there never was a problem

Hawcara - 2010-09-28 9:04 PM

Dont know if I am breaking forum rules, but has anyone had experience of Martins of Exeter?

They seem to have good stock on occasion. Thus should we purchase a van from them wondered what their attitude to warranty work was etc.

Have done a search on this site but turned up little so far.

Thank you *-)

The author asked about Martin's of Exeter not the X250 reversing saga - just thought I'd bring it back on track.....

Sorry I've only been to Martin's once when they quoted me a reasonable price for my part-ex and seemed quite helpful. The used 'vans I was interested in were competitively priced but I didn't buy from them as I chose to buy a new conversion they don't supply, so sorry can't help regarding after sales service.

The fact that you can't find a huge amount of negative criticism is a good thing because as already stated, most people only post negative comments when they're unhappy with a product or dealer.

Good luck with your seach.

John

Peter

Your constant rebuttal of the gearbox problems on the Sevel based Vans, chassis Cabs, etc.. is becoming annoying & frankly a JOKE.

Proffessional testers will at best only test one sample of each model in the range. The posters on this forum (never mind other similar forums) have had to endure derogatory responces from particularly Fiat (representing a higher proportion of base vehicles) in the early period of the new model.

No one on this forum has stated that ALL the vehicles are at fault, but especially with the X/250 Motorhome base variants there is a substantial No. even if this only represents a small % of overall production volumes.

BUT to those people who have suffered the problems, associated with Fiat's lack of positive action it was a major concern, (and still is for some) causing a graet deal of stress, constant rebuttal by Fiat & lack of opportunity to use their vehicle.

I am perhaps fortunate that I have not encountered the problem on our 2.2 / 100bhp Peugeot, (2008 factory build/2009 motorhome conversion)but that does not mean I refused to accept there is potentially a problem.

Th forum IMHO has a duty to post such problems, so new Motorhome buyers are AWARE. They can then make an informed descision.

Take your head out of the sand.

Hawcara, you don't give away your location, but I'm assuming you live in the West Country?

If so, try Highbridge Motorhomes off J22 of M5. I've no connection with them except for buying two caravans :$ and my latest MH from them.

Very friendly, very professional, and will give you a good deal IMHO :-D

fred grant - 2010-10-01 7:21 PM

it may surprise you to know my biddies that fred as absolutely no connection with cornish cider at all. never. not never.

f

Cider is made in Somerset, mate.

If it's made anywhere else it LOOKS like cider, but is actually a liquid waste product from organic bladders 8-)

You all keep banging on about the X250 there are thousands on the road here and on the continent in various guises as commercial vans and motorhomes. I`ve yet to see one being attended by roadside services let alone being loaded onto a low loader. All I ever seem to see is the back end as they overtake at about 80! I have`nt experienced any big problems, I agree the reverse ratio is on the high side but not high enough to spoil the enjoyment of driving one especially after the ear shattering 2.8TD and even the 2.8JTD.

oldlowie - 2010-10-01 8:16 PM

fred grant - 2010-10-01 7:21 PM

it may surprise you to know my biddies that fred as absolutely no connection with cornish cider at all. never. not never.

f

Cider is made in Somerset, mate.

If it's made anywhere else it LOOKS like cider, but is actually a liquid waste product from organic bladders 8-)

Stick to the 'Pasties' Fred ! We'll look after the zider :D

mirage - 2010-10-01 8:23 PM

You all keep banging on about the X250 there are thousands on the road here and on the continent in various guises as commercial vans and motorhomes. I`ve yet to see one being attended by roadside services let alone being loaded onto a low loader. All I ever seem to see is the back end as they overtake at about 80! I have`nt experienced any big problems, I agree the reverse ratio is on the high side but not high enough to spoil the enjoyment of driving one especially after the ear shattering 2.8TD and even the 2.8JTD.

I don't expect that you WILL have seen them by the road side, those that are affected mostly seem to be okay going forward ... it's going backwards that they have problems with and they tend not to do that much on normal roads.

I'm pleased your van doesn't have a problem, but there are motorhome owners out there who have been at their wits end with the whole sorry saga and for them I feel extremely sad.

:-(

Mel B - 2010-10-01 9:43 PM

mirage - 2010-10-01 8:23 PM

I don't expect that you WILL have seen them by the road side, those that are affected mostly seem to be okay going forward ... it's going backwards that they have problems with and they tend not to do that much on normal roads.

I'm pleased your van doesn't have a problem, but there are motorhome owners out there who have been at their wits end with the whole sorry saga and for them I feel extremely sad.

:-(

To be fair to the original author and thread title will posters PLEASE not hijack this and other threads to resurrect the X250 problems.

May I suggest you start another predictable thread where some deny the problem exists and others get annoyed by this.

John

PS I've heard good reports abouth Highbridge too.

Hi Hawcara,

I have just sold my Motorhome to Martins of Exeter,they offered me the best price ,I drove it down to them ,met by a very relaxed but friendly guy named Martin, he had a check over the M/H then into his office ,a cup of tea, and within 5 minute,s we had a confirmation that the funds had been transferred to our bank ,quick, simple,polite, and speaking to his staff they were all 100% behind the firm,they dont work weekend,s no need to,do enough business in the week ,so someone is happy with them I know I am.

Camperdude - 2010-10-02 10:07 AM

To be fair to the original author and thread title will posters PLEASE not hijack this and other threads to resurrect the X250 problems.

May I suggest you start another predictable thread where some deny the problem exists and others get annoyed by this.

John

PS I've heard good reports abouth Highbridge too.

I take it you haven't got a problem with your pride and joy then .... I quite agree that this thread is about Martins of Exeter but to leave a posting which is pretty much saying there isn't a problem with the X250 for all and sundry to read, and be misled by, I'm afraid isn't a good idea.

I did forget to add, on the bottom of my earlier post though, that we bought our van from Highbridge, with a 500 miles round trip, and have found them very pleasant to deal with.

Well, yes, yes, yes!  However, Dearly Beloved, the poor old OP is still awaiting the answer to his question, which I will re-state on his behalf as it seems to have become a bit lost.

The question is: does anyone have experience of Martins' after sales service and readiness to honour warranty issues?  I would assume this to mean: do they do the job reliably, well, and quickly?

The question was not can you get a good deal, have they nice sales staff, or even do they pay you promptly on a cash sale.  This is about the fundamental competence of the company when things go wrong.

After all, Brownhills reputedly do great deals, and I understand many of their sales staff are very pleasant.  What seems to shake most Bh customers' faith in them, in the final analysis, is what happens when things go wrong with the van post sale.  More simply stated, the question was, are Martins in the same after sales league as Bh, or what?  Capiche?  :-D

We didn't buy from Martins but they are our local dealers and habitation service is miles cheaper than Chelston's in Wellington. We were very happy with the hab service and also on a replacement tv aerial they did for us. The service manager knows hsi job.

However we now have someone to go to the motorhome to do hab service. CHeaper and good.

Archived