Cab Locking query Stargazer 2 year old

tonyg3nwl

In another post, you can see my vehicle has just been serviced.

When I left it I locked the doors using remote control, and handed the other key over to service. A short while later, they phoned and said they couldnt enter the van as the key was not unlocking the vehicle

I suggested they enter via the rear door (different key), which was successful and they then drove the vehicle into the workshop and carried out the work.

When I collected the vehicle, I tested the keys and found that neither the remote key, nor the second key would manually unlock the drivers door, nor lock it if starting from unlocked condition. The only way to lock or unlock is to use the "remote" option.

Question.. is this the normal situation, or is the lock in the door faulty in the manual mode... Peugeot beleive there may be a fault But reading the handbook, I am not so sure.

any body know the answer, or do peugeot have to strip the door down (warranty still applies...just)

tonyg3nwl

If the key will go into the driver's door lock and turn it should mechanically unlock that door at least, and should unlock all others if the solenoid in the door is operating correctly. If the key will not unlock the driver's door there is a problem with the key.

Has the key EVER been used in the door before? It is unlikely but possible that for some reason the ignition and door locks have different barrels. I cannot imagine how this could have happened but you need to get it sorted by Peugeot and they should have offered to resolve this for you and not just told you about it!

Nick

euroserv - 2010-09-29 11:25 AM

If the key will go into the driver's door lock and turn it should mechanically unlock that door at least, and should unlock all others if the solenoid in the door is operating correctly. If the key will not unlock the driver's door there is a problem with the key.

Has the key EVER been used in the door before? It is unlikely but possible that for some reason the ignition and door locks have different barrels. I cannot imagine how this could have happened but you need to get it sorted by Peugeot and they should have offered to resolve this for you and not just told you about it!

Nick

Thanks Nick .

The key will go into the drivers door lock and will turn, but nothing happens. It will not unlock the door. The only way of unlocking from outside the vehicle is by using the Remote Button

If the doors are locked from inside by using the dash buttons, they can still be unlocked by either using dash buttons or remote button on key, or simply using the internal handle .

The habitation door of course uses a different key, and that is not included in remote locking at all.

The 2 peugeot keys, (one remote, and one plain key) both operate ignition, but neither unlock door or lock it in manual operation, which Peugeot cant understand. They have arranged to investigate further next week, but say that this should have been discovered on PDI inspection 2 years ago. Since they didnt do the PDI themselves, they hinted that I might have to return to the original dealer to get it sorted.

The handbook make no reference to manual locking/unlocking, only using remote. Since there is only 1 Remote key, what happens if it gets lost or broken. True I can still get in via habitation door, and use manual key in Ignition, but my query is SHOULD driver's door be able to be locked/unlocked manually as well. There is no key lock facility on passenger side cab door. Is the problem a design pecularity for security.

I hope Peugeot locally can answer next week

I am not aware whether the key has ever worked in a manual mode, as I have always used remote option. I cant see how barrels can have been changed, as key fits in both the door lock and the Ignition.

tonyg3nwl

Hi Tony,

If this fault has always been there then you certainly will have to take it back to the garage that did the PDI. It would be in your interest to claim that it was OK and that the fault has recently appeared.

Saying that, you might find in your warranty that electrical items are only covered for the first 12 months. A lot of warranties have more holes than a Swiss cheese.

I had a problem that was missed on the PDI. There is a Peugeot dealer less than half a mile from my house but I had to drive to the southern Lake District to get it rectified at the original garage.

Good luck.

Tony,

From your response it is almost certainly a faulty drivers door lock. The mechanical action of locking by the key is supposed to be 'noticed' by the solenoid which should actually do the locking and transmit that instruction tot he other door as well. The lock (handle part) comes with he electrical bits too so will need to be replaced.

It cannot be that the wiring is not attached since it works ok the other way round when the remote is used.

If you get nowhere with warranty and can't be bothered to go back to the supplying dealer the door handle is about £45 and your original lock barrel can be swapped into the new one. The whole job should not take more than an hour.

Better to pretend it is a recent problem and get it done under warranty.

Nick

euroserv - 2010-09-29 6:46 PM

Tony,

From your response it is almost certainly a faulty drivers door lock. The mechanical action of locking by the key is supposed to be 'noticed' by the solenoid which should actually do the locking and transmit that instruction tot he other door as well. .....

Thanks to Peugeot locally, they took it in yesterday, and found that "a cable had come adrift". all fixed and collected an hour later. No charge so treated it a warranty fix..

tonyg3nwl

Archived