Digi box & satalite box coupled together.

rolandrat

Does anyone know the coupling method of a digi and sat box into a tv so that either can be used without unplugging one or the other. I am aware that the infered sensors need to be apart so as not to activate one or the other at the same time. At the moment I'm using the boxes and aerial and dish seperately.

Hi, Questions What TV and do you mean freeview box and sky/freesat box

If your tv is a digital one, then a freeview box is irelevant as freeview is inbuilt to tv.

If you mean Freesat box and sky box, then you need a tv with 2 scart connector input points and 2 leads, one to each box. A modern tv will change over to most recently controlled box automatically. Assuming freesat and sky boxes, each will need an aerial input from its own LNB on the dish, so the dish has to be equipped with a twin LNB and 2 downleads

However, If you have a newish Sky box, then it will receive fresat services as well, so you only need a second box if you wish to receive from a european satellite, in which case, the sky box need not be connected anyway as it wont receive from other than UK services.

maybe you can explain what you are trying to acheive a little better

tonyg3nwl

Providing your TV has multiple inputs it should be easy. Most TV's have 3 inputs often called AV1, AV2 & DVD.

They can be Scart or Phono (with mini jack for audio), our Camos has a it's own connector and the cable from it terminates in Phono & Mini Jack sockets for the 3 video & audio inputs.

Should just be a case of getting the right leads & plugging the second box in then you can select the TV input with your remote.

Some sat boxes e.g. the Oyster has a loop though so you can connect another box into it.

An interesting question and some interesting answers!

I'm guessing you are either swapping scart leads or arial leads.

If it's scart leads and you only have one scart then you need a scart switch, or you might be able to connect one throu arial. if it's arial lead then you should be able to daisy chain them together, but if you have both boxes switched on at once (say for recording) then you may need to adjust frequency of output channel.

There is normaly no need to sepperate boxs for remote control as unless they are same box they shouldn't interfer, but occasionaly some might, note I have 6 different boxs of various types under my home tv not one interfers with another.

I've got both Digibox and Comag receiver in my van. The Comag has an antenna cable pass through. Unless your receiver has an antenna output you'll have to manually disconnect and reconnect the cable between the boxes.

Anyway, in my case, the antenna cable goes from the Camos controller to to Comag input, then from the Comag output to the Digibox.

On the scart sockets of both receivers I've plugged in a scart to 3 phono A/V cable adaptor such as this - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-3x-RCA-Phono-Audio-Video-Cable-Switchable-0-2m-/250622508876?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item3a5a43ff4c

These cables connect into a three way switcher - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-WAY-AV-Audio-Video-RCA-Phono-Selector-Switch-Switcher-/370382938256?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_VideoSwitches_SM&hash=item563c8b2090

Then. from the output of the switcher the A/V cable connects to the tv. In my case the tv is an Avtex and it was supplied with the correct cable.

So when I need to change from the Comag to the Digibox I just switch the ouput on the switcher.

Here's a photo showing my installation.

109149441_P1010086.JPG.472a2342343d324701af299414de5e53.JPG

Hi

I have gone from Sat input to sky box, RF out to Sat box. I suspect the same can be achieved with Scart lead from sky to sat then to TV but have not tried that. I had a scart from sat box to TV together with a lead from RF out (sat box) to TV. The scart takes automatic but I have the ability to choose input on the TV. I tried the splitter from Maplins but it didn't work so save £14 quid. The bottom line is that you can get everything on Free Sat and can dispense with the sky box so why mess around. Provide a good signal to your free sat and you have everything, possibly even more, than sky can provide. The buggaration factor is that you need to find the chans. you want and move them to the 1,2,3 positions. Once you have read the instructions for your particular box it is easy. Happy viewing.

Art

Arthur Brown - 2010-09-29 9:46 PM

Provide a good signal to your free sat and you have everything, possibly even more, than sky can provide. The buggaration factor is that you need to find the chans. you want and move them to the 1,2,3 positions.

Not that I use sky any more, but they do provide a lot more channels than Freesat for those that wish to view them, also I think your confusing Freesat with fta, Freesat numbers the channels similar to Sky

Thanks for the replies lads it looks reasonably straight forward and looking at the photograph has given me the assurance that it can be done. I'll be able to ditch some of the extra gear I've been carrying. I didn't want to damage the system that was installed from new being an AutoTrail drop down system.

The output source switch is the easiest way, as it means you only have one cable going to the TV. My system is the same set up as rolyk's and it works well.

Another thing that was bothering me was the reversing camera as that is wired through the radio and drop down screen, why AutoTrail wired everything through it I dont know, even the speakers are as well. The new models coming off the production line have been changed, they must have realised it wasn't the right way for it to be. Thanks everyone for your input on this in particular Rolyk.

Archived