A Day in Paris

Caroline

Get hold of some good guide books beforehand, and have a family meeting about what you want to see, then you can agree the necessary compromises beforehand :-( and plan an itinerary together!

On arrival, park on the outskirts and get all-day Metro/bus tickets - but use buses rather than Metro wherever possible, so you see more of the city.

Everyone goes to the top of the Arc de Triomphe and (if they can afford it!) the Eiffel Tower. I think the Grande Arche de la Defense is just as impressive.

And don't assume the Parisians are like the French - they're a different aniumal altogether!! :-D

Enjoy yourselves!

Never mind, since they're teenagers this MIGHT be the last time they come with you. Then you can buy a smaller van and start doing what YOU want!

I still remember the day ours said "Actually, we don't want to come on holiday with you anymore."

DAD: "Are you sure? Is that your final answer?"

KIDS: "Yes."

So we went out and bought "Hannibal," our ancient 2-BERTH Transit, which took us all over Europe for 8 years!

(SON & HEIR: "You've NOT gone and bought THAT - HELP! my parents are ageing hippies!")

Oh the dream!

we thougth that the "I do not want to come with you any more" was here so brought not the smaller van but our dream van............................ now we can not keep her away.

Will it ever happen (lol)

We wait in vain........... :D

In my last job, corporate HQ was in Paris, so I was over there for 3 or 4 days every month.

If you only do one thing, I'd suggest visiting the Montparnasse Tower, and going right up to the restaurant on the top floor.

Food/drink prices are gut-wrenchingly exorbitant, but you can get away with just a coffee.

The reason for going up there will become apparent the moment you look out of the windows.

Everyone goes up the Eiffel tower. Dunno why, as the views are utter rubbish.

From the top of the Montparnasse tower you get by far the best views of all the major sights of Paris laid out before you.

Just utterly fabulously fantastic.

Guest JudgeMental
Caroline - 2010-10-04 8:41 PM

Oh the dream!

we through that the "I do not want to come with you any more" was here so brought not the smaller van but our dream van............................ now we can not keep her away.Will it ever happen (lol) We wait in vain........... :D

It is happening to us sort off*-) Daughter started Uni last week and after her S/E Asia gap year adventure wants to go to India next summer etc.... No 1 son starts Uni next year and of with friends inter railing taking, in Benecassim music festival in Spain after his A levels.

Well I though great! at last! Sell the coachbuilt and buy a panel van..... Yippee! camper up for sale, and plan was to go To Greece for the summer next year...UNTIL..... Oh! no! How could you! you cant do that! we want to all meet up in Italy as usual at least for a week -10 days in August! *-)

So we will probably tour down through Germany/black forest on to Croatia and back up to Lake Garda to meet the kids and friends. I am happy about this as Greece can wait another year :D

BGD - 2010-10-04 10:08 PM In my last job, corporate HQ was in Paris, so I was over there for 3 or 4 days every month. If you only do one thing, I'd suggest visiting the Montparnasse Tower, and going right up to the restaurant on the top floor. Food/drink prices are gut-wrenchingly exorbitant, but you can get away with just a coffee. The reason for going up there will become apparent the moment you look out of the windows. Everyone goes up the Eiffel tower. Dunno why, as the views are utter rubbish. From the top of the Montparnasse tower you get by far the best views of all the major sights of Paris laid out before you. Just utterly fabulously fantastic.

Added to which, it's just about the only place from which you can look over Paris without seeing the Montparnasse Tower!! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
flicka - 2010-10-06 8:27 PM

Ah, the best laid plans of mice & men, Eddie.

Does that mean the Euramobil if Off the market.

Or are you making the young ones slum it in a tent.

Exactly! They used to sleep in a tent with last camper and they enjoy it...I like camping as well but my back and knee does not :-S

No plan still the same, camper up for sale :-D

Lorrie - 2010-10-06 8:25 PM

Tesco tokens £2.50 per ticket for Montparnasse Tower. just ordered ours.

Brilliant thanks, just paid for the tunnel with Tescos got a few left, if only Brittany Ferrys took them my world would be complete.

Archived