Highway robbery

eric hobson

Highway robbery  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I crossed the Tamar bridge on 24-09-2010. I have a tag-axle motorhome and tow my car. The charge was £12-00. This was explained to me as £1-50 for the motorhome, doubled for the two axles then doubled again because it was towing ( £6-00 ). The car is then charged at the same rate as the towing vehicle. Had we driven the vehicles across seperately the cost would have been £4-50. There is nothing on entry stating these charges, the nearest being an articulated lorry (44tonne) which travels at the same charge. I have e-mailed the authority and await their reply. An earlier call to their enquiry unit showed sympathy and a statement they were looking into it as they had had several complaints. Nothing they could do at present. Travellers beware. *-)

We live in Cornwall and have 2 cars. We have a tag that goes on each car and you are informed of a low balance at £20, ie £10 for each car. They have just put up the charges, but in order to get more money out the min top up is £30. A month ago it was £20.

I suggest email the local MP Sheryll Murray. Here is her email address:

sheryll@sheryllmurray.com

Dont know whether you will get anywhere, but tourism is the life blood for a lot of people down here and that argument may get you a better deal in the future.

Guest JudgeMental
well you in for a surprise when you venture abroad, as it will cost you an arm and a leg on paeage, bridges and tunnels

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-01 3:43 PM

well you in for a surprise when you venture abroad, as it will cost you an arm and a leg on paeage, bridges and tunnels

Difference is we have already paid road tax here so are paying twice. At least when we go abroad we are only paying once.

Lets remember France is a Transit country with about 5 times as many foreign registered vehicles on its roads as Britain. Most of them just driving straight across the country Britain to Spain or Italy etc. The only traffic on British roads is that coming to Britain (except for a tiny percentage going to Ireland)

Guest Peter James
eric hobson - 2010-10-01 12:47 PM

the nearest being an articulated lorry (44tonne) which travels at the same charge.

Must mean a 3 axle rigid (not articulated) lorry charged at £6? http://www.tamarcrossings.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=36387

The link would suggest £6 for the van and £1.50 for the car. Says nothing about extra for towing?

Archived