Can anyone recommend a netbook?

Neil Hunt

CC October magazine flagged up the Datawind Ubisurfer but looking at customer and computer magazine reviews it has a very poor record for reliability even if the connectivity is economical.

Would be grateful for any recommendations, looking for a netbook to keep up with email and for checking sites, weather etc when on the road.

Does not need to be a powerful computer but just do the basics. Any pointer in the right direction would be a great help.

This may help?

My in laws have just signed up to an all singing and dancing TV/Broadband package with Virgin after sacking BT.

The deal was agreed and the salesperson said there was a free netbook on the way for them too, something they didn't know about. Well we've borrowed it twice, once whilst this laptop had a wobble and once for whilst in France last week.

It was excellent, a 100% good piece of kit. Now if you can either, A, find out what make they are, (there's no marking on them), or B, go and sign up with Virgin Media, you'll be halfway there.

Martyn

LordThornber - 2010-10-01 5:15 PM

This may help?

My in laws have just signed up to an all singing and dancing TV/Broadband package with Virgin after sacking BT.

The deal was agreed and the salesperson said there was a free netbook on the way for them too, something they didn't know about. Well we've borrowed it twice, once whilst this laptop had a wobble and once for whilst in France last week.

It was excellent, a 100% good piece of kit. Now if you can either, A, find out what make they are, (there's no marking on them), or B, go and sign up with Virgin Media, you'll be halfway there.

Martyn

The Virgin Media 'free' netbook is an own brand, probably based on the Zoostorm Freedom netbook.

Andy

Guest JudgeMental
dwaviation - 2010-10-01 6:16 PM

Wait for the new Asus 1215n or 1015n - Out very soon

seems like you know your stuff :-D I want one with a decent hard drive and would prefer integral DVD drive..do you know of any? have seen some with 250Hd but no dvd player....

Thanks all for responses, have checked Mel's link back and noted Martyn's suggestion back there that the HTC Hero may be enough functionality for what we want.

Have looked at the Asus suggested which seems highly specified (talk of use for games etc) with a cost to match. We are looking primarily for ease of connectivity to the net with a keyboard, which possibly makes the 'phones too small for us but are not interested in a micro with the high spec of a PC either.

As with most things these days too much choice perhaps.

If you are planning on travelling abroad (for a long period) with your netbook, I would check that you can get it serviced in the country you are visiting and that the warranty you have supports this. Hp allow you to register your laptop in any country, but you have to do this in advance. Pc world/ currys sell a policy to cover you abroad, again check what this covers. Maplins do a 12 volt power supply for laptops around £15. The battery life on some netbooks is about an hour, do not take the salesman word for any stated life as it varies on what you are running (applications). Most manufacturers offer an extended life battery, some like the hp tx range (touch screen/12") come with 2 batteries. You could buy a laptop and use it as a multi media centre and do away with tv etc. with the use of tv card. I currently use a medion netbook with a t-mobile dongle (£7.50 a month connection as I have a phone with them), but only in the uk, you will need to find wi-fi if out and about. Also check that the item has a good wi-fi connection i.e "n" capable. As for the dvd drive, most things are available nowadays as downloads, you can also buy external dvd drives, as well as very compact portable hard drives for storage. Add to this usb keys that can handle upto 64 gig. Also bare in mind where your going to store laptop when away from van, safe etc. I use a portable safe which attaches via a wire. B-)

I like ASUS, :D

but if you want a cheap deal you could check the Dell Outlet site

http://ireland.dell.com/uk/en/dfo/df.aspx?refid=df&s=dfo

but read the small print and be prepared to act quickly

if you really need dvd - then as Mel sez

that's a laptop

or buy dvd drive - can get them for about £30

PS avoid Windows 7 starter and go for 2GB RAM

Please dont waste your money on the datawind ubisurfer , i bought one last year its the biggest load of rubbish i have ever bought , its so slow its unbeleivable , even on wi-fi its not much faster , some apps only work when they want to and you cant use memory sticks or load photos onto it , buy a good net book , my wife just bought an acer netbook with windows 7 and its a cracker and quite fast and a seven hour battery life which is a darn site more than most laptops , possibly the same one that bazza is on about ,good luck .

I have been using an Acer Aspire One running Linux Lite for two years. It's great for e-mails and surfing the web, the wifi is rock steady and will hold a signal when Windows machines are falling off line every few minutes. I also do my accounts and save photos on it. I have installed an extra 16gb card so the available flash memory is more than enough for my needs. No DVD of course but for £40 I have a usb powered DVD player/recorder which also works with my wifes net book and my lap top when I am at home. The one down side is that I understand less about Linux that I do Windows but as I don't (at the moment) want to add any extra programs I can live with this. Very good value for under £200.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-10-01 8:18 PM

.... that'll be a laptop then Eddie! :D

already have a 12inch travel laptop, its a bit long in the tooth though so looking for all singing all dancing 10 inch lightweight model,for my grown up gap year backpacking travels :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2010-10-02 1:24 PM

OHG Eddie, you're not going to be one of those families that appear one of those 'My Gap Year' programmes are you!!!! 8-)

Exactly where a little of the inspiration has come from!lol

Just me and Mrs Mental, daughter started Uni this week and son starts same time next year....Then if Mrs M can take a sabbatical, we are of following the sun around the world! :D

I can highly recommend a Samsung nc10, I am using it now in the motorhome and find I hardly ever use my laptop. We take it with us on all our travels including Australia and New Zealand, it is great for keeping in touch and sending photo's home.

Sooty10

Hi,

I went for a Toshiba T110 - 121 at £295, and it came with a free Toshiba portable DVD drive, very impressed works very well and the battery life is quiet exceptional in my opinion, they say 8.5 hrs (some older suggestions of 11 hrs) but on the machine itself Toshiba say 8.5 hrs and we have managed around 6hr which I think is very good, albeit its not a net-book but its very similar in size.

Hope that helps.

http://www.dabs.com/products/toshiba-satellite-t110-121-celeron-743-2gb-250gb-11-6--windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-laptop-7389.html

Purchased a Ubisurfer yesterday, so just getting to grips with it. Apparently earlier ones on Linux had problems, but now on Windows hopefully ok. I bought it because my good quality lap top simply will not log on to WiFi out and about, too much security perhaps and I dind`t want less of that. The Datawind works from a phone signal instead so should be better coverage. I get 30 hours surfing/e-mails per month free but the size and weight looks brilliant.

alan.

Well it looks like I have the new Ubisurfer working for the first time as I am using it for this post. I struggle with all new gadgets so I m sure the more proficient amongst you could master this notebook a lot quicker than I will. So we shall see how it progresses but so far it seems to work. It is a little slower than my laptop but it is a fraction of the size and weight and that is what I am looking for at the moment.

Alan.

Alan D - 2010-10-03 10:31 AM

Well it looks like I have the new Ubisurfer working for the first time as I am using it for this post. I struggle with all new gadgets so I m sure the more proficient amongst you could master this notebook a lot quicker than I will. So we shall see how it progresses but so far it seems to work. It is a little slower than my laptop but it is a fraction of the size and weight and that is what I am looking for at the moment.

Alan.

which Operating System what's the RAM

sometimes you just need to add a few more hamsters onto the wheel :D

Archived