Crown Currency Gone Bust ???

mike 202

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental

thanks for the heads up! *-)

Just shows the dangers of transferring money abroad and not using a high street bank, which I am hoping to do soon for a new motorhome :-S

so if I had used these chumps I could have been £40,000 worse of? When I bought last van many of these companies not covered by UK banking act...Buyer beware

Looking at the link, there are a lot of people who are desparately trying to find out what the actual situation is & if there is any possibility they may get anything back.

It must be devastating for them when due to leave on holiday almost immediately & then not being able to follow-up easily whilst away.

Guest Peter James

One poster said she was in tears because she might lose her holiday spending money? devastating?

I looked at that straight after reading another forum which perhaps put it more into perspective

Typical Quote (one of many) : Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours.

Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years?

The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too!

We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc.

Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here.

Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this?? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677203

Guest JudgeMental

what has the post above to do with a foreign exchange company going under?

we looked at holiday homes 20 years ago and lots of sellers in similar situations then......dreams shattered, and not enough money to return home...what is new exactly *-)

Peter,

Whilst it is common knowledge that a lot of people have suffered as ex-pats, they have made their choice to leave/abandon the UK for a "better life" so trying to say that in comparison that those who chose Crown Currency and may have lost out their holiday money should be gratefull, is an irrelevance.

Some people do not have the finance to up sticks and say up yours to the UK and that their one holiday a year is now in jeopardy is probably more important .

Any way the post was to inform NOT to get a debate going as to who has suffered most in the current financial problems.

Mike

Guest Peter James
mike 202 - 2010-10-01 10:44 PM

Peter,

trying to say that in comparison that those who chose Crown Currency and may have lost out their holiday money should be gratefull,

Mike

I didn't say anybody should be grateful.

But it rarely impresses me when I see anybody crying for themselves. Reminds me of the Iron Lady. She didn't cry when they were bringing our lads back from the Falklands in bodybags. But she cried when she lost her job.

Peter James - 2010-10-01 10:31 PM One poster said she was in tears because she might lose her holiday spending money? devastating? I looked at that straight after reading another forum which perhaps put it more into perspective Typical Quote (one of many) : Due to the terrible job situation here in Spain we have now decided after 4 years to go back to the UK despite really not wanting to have to go. We love living here and it has been a brilliant life for both of us and our 2 kids who have learnt to speak spanish fluently. What a pity but we just cant seem to survive here financially. We have a small local (shop) where my husband repairs and sells computers but over the last 2 years business has dropped by half and I cant seem to find work to help boost his income. My kids are 6 & 10 so we are governed by school hours. Anyway unfortunately we have nowhere to go back to so we were wondering what our entitlements are, ie benefits etc if any, after being away from the UK for 4 years? The other difficulty too is we have my mother living with us who is 80yrs old in good health but this is another problem of ours to consider where is she going to live too! We have virtually little or no family so we will obviously need a house and to find schools etc. Will we get any sort of financial support from the goverment I wonder? We had our own property in the UK before and sold it and now have virtually nothing which is a great shame! All our savings have gone basically so we have been able to live here. Our dream has now turned into a nightmare. How many times have we heard this?? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=677203

No problem - get them back to the UK as soon as possible.

They will be offered a 4 bedroom house in any part of the UK that they choose to live, plus housing benefit, income support, jobseekers allowance, child benefit, old age pension, a satellite system that will allow them to watch Spanish TV, which should total somewhere in the region of around £600  per week........

If they chose to use their life savings and depart to Spain 4 years ago because the UK wasn't good enough for them, then it's not good enough for them now, and they should be made to slum it out in Spain, and not expect the UK taxpayer to bail them out.....Oh dear....  

Hi,

How many of would like to find a reliable computer engineer, that we can trust, and doesn't charge silly money?

I have found one, works for pocket money (never charged me more than £25) ..... and he is rushed of his feet.

Where to live? Try www.rightmove.co.uk, enter the area of your choice, click GO, next page, click on LOWEST PRICE FIRST. Last time I looked, there was a shop with accomodation in AMMANFORD for £6000ish per year rent. Home and business? Also lots of cheap houses, maybe not what you would want to live in, but "beggars can't ......."

Granny gets her pension, presumably same as now. You get Child Benefit. There are bound to be others, try doing a Google for WHAT BENEFITS.

Do a Google for BUSINESS START UP GRANTS.

Good luck.

Guest JudgeMental

The thread is about Crown Currency Going bust?

And the effect on people, whether purchasing holiday money, or who have entered contracts, and paid up front with potentially large amounts of money for purchases in the future......This could be for property, cars. motorhomes or just foreign cash

This is a serious matter so lets try any stay focussed....

Guest Peter James
Bazza454 - 2010-10-01 11:32 PMNo problem - get them back to the UK as soon as possible.They will be offered a 4 bedroom house in any part of the UK that they choose to live, plus housing benefit, income support, jobseekers allowance, child benefit, old age pension, a satellite system that will allow them to watch Spanish TV, which should total somewhere in the region of around £600  per week........

If they chose to use their life savings and depart to Spain 4 years ago because the UK wasn't good enough for them, then it's not good enough for them now, and they should be made to slum it out in Spain, and not expect the UK taxpayer to bail them out.....Oh dear.... 

Bazza454 - 2010-10-01 11:32 PMhey will be offered a 4 bedroom house in any part of the UK that they choose to live, plus housing benefit, income support, jobseekers allowance, child benefit, old age pension, a satellite system that will allow them to watch Spanish TV, which should total somewhere in the region of around £600 per week.......
so they say (link)
you read the rest of it you would see they paid National Insurance for many years before they left Britain, and have received nothing for it. If they do get housing it will be the cheapest available. Because of the high cost of housing, the cheapest available may be more than they can earn. So like millions of others, they will be better off on benefits. But don't expect the Daily Mail to tell you its high house prices that are keeping people stuck on benefits.

Guest Peter James
602 - 2010-10-02 8:00 AM

Hi,

How many of would like to find a reliable computer engineer, that we can trust, and doesn't charge silly money?

I have found one, works for pocket money (never charged me more than £25) ..... and he is rushed of his feet.

Where to live? Try www.rightmove.co.uk, enter the area of your choice, click GO, next page, click on LOWEST PRICE FIRST. Last time I looked, there was a shop with accomodation in AMMANFORD for £6000ish per year rent. Home and business? Also lots of cheap houses, maybe not what you would want to live in, but "beggars can't ......."

Granny gets her pension, presumably same as now. You get Child Benefit. There are bound to be others, try doing a Google for WHAT BENEFITS.

Good luck.

Thank you for a constructive post. I can see a few problems with it, but full marks for looking for solutions not problems.

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-02 9:16 AM

And the effect on people, whether purchasing holiday money, or who have entered contracts, and paid up front with potentially large amounts of money for purchases in the future......This could be for property, cars. motorhomes or just foreign cash

Fair comment. I just wanted to keep it in perspective thats all. The woman who says she is in tears over possibly losing her foreign holiday spending money, should realise that most readers will have far more serious problems than she has.

Guest Tracker

Take note all those who whinge about the exchange rate!

So what if the currency fluctuates and so what if we have to pay to get our Euros - if we couldn't afford it we wouldn't do it!

That said I'm glad I haven't lost a couple of grand with Crown and it serves as a timely warning about the perils of trying to save a few quid by using an internet based supplier rather than an established high street institution - something which I too have been guilty of in the past.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2010-10-02 10:25 AM

Take note all those who whinge about the exchange rate!

So what if the currency fluctuates and so what if we have to pay to get our Euros - if we couldn't afford it we wouldn't do it!

That said I'm glad I haven't lost a couple of grand with Crown and it serves as a timely warning about the perils of trying to save a few quid by using an internet based supplier rather than an established high street institution - something which I too have been guilty of in the past.

Indeed.

Take note also those who have been conned into thinking they are better off not joining the Euro.

I can see how the pound benefits the bankers (and their politician puppets) making their bonuses just changing our money backwards and forwards.

I can see how the pound benefits Her Unelected Majesty The Queen, who wants to keep her face on our money.

But I fail to see how keeping the pound benefits the rest of us. Its a nightmare for my brother in law who runs a small manufacturing company exporting to Europe. Success or Ruination depends on him being to guess correctly what the exchange rate will be in 6 months time.

Guest Peter James
RonB - 2010-10-02 7:53 PM

This must be one of the worst posts for deviating from the original that I have read on this forum. If you need to divert from the original post then please start a new thread.

Ron

Can't you see the connection between Britain being outside the Euro, and British Citizens being ripped off buying Euros (?)

Guest JudgeMental
RonB - 2010-10-02 7:53 PM

This must be one of the worst posts for deviating from the original that I have read on this forum. If you need to divert from the original post then please start a new thread.

Ron

I have tried Ron, Oh I have tried..... There are some disgraceful and uncaring trolls at play on this thread *-)

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-02 10:28 PM

I have tried Ron, Oh I have tried..... There are some disgraceful and uncaring trolls at play on this thread *-)

There is a word for that trick the politicians use when they are trapped - they can't answer the question so they attack the questioner instead. When you are reduced to name calling I suppose 'Troll' is as good a name as any?

Just trying to put things into perspective thats all. I keep hearing this word devastated. one woman was devastated because she might lose the $6,000 dollars she was transferring out to pay running expenses on her second home in Florida. I wondered if she was as 'devastated' when Farepack went bust and their customers lost their money. These were people who had saved up to buy food.

602 - 2010-10-02 8:00 AM

Hi,

Good luck.

Can I have a a pint of whatever 602 is drinking please..............it's clearly top kit.

Guest JudgeMental
Peter James - 2010-10-02 11:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2010-10-02 10:28 PM

There is a word for that trick the politicians use when they are trapped - they can't answer the question so they attack the questioner instead. When you are reduced to name calling I suppose 'Troll' is as good a name as any?

Just trying to put things into perspective thats all. I keep hearing this word devastated. one woman was devastated because she might lose the $6,000 dollars she was transferring out to pay running expenses on her second home in Florida. I wondered if she was as 'devastated' when Farepack went bust and their customers lost their money. These were people who had saved up to buy food.

How long are you going to peddle this moronic drivel? and disrupt a serious thread. Your comparisons are idiotic and one can easily find a worse case comparison to anything

Yours: someone having their Christmas box stolen? Mine: a third world parent watching their children die of starvation...you know this is happening, but still manage a full English breakfast.

(internet) troll definition:

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an on line community, such as an online discussion forum, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Guest JudgeMental
JudgeMental - 2010-10-02 9:16 AM

Well said Judge and Ron. I dread to think what is going on in Peter's head, try as we may we cannot stop the drivel being posted. I just wonder what would be posted on a non serious subject, perhaps we should start a new thread called Drivel.

Back to the post - If you Google "Crown Currency" then their web site comes up as normal and all looks OK, but if you try to buy then and only then are you directed to another site. So please fellow forum members do no be lulled into a false sense of security by seeing the web site looking normal.

Currently spending my Euro's in Spain near Benecarlo.

Best Regards to All - Mike

Guest Peter James
JudgeMental - 2010-10-03 10:38 AM

Yours: someone having their Christmas box stolen? Mine: a third world parent watching their children die of starvation...you know this is happening, but still manage a full English breakfast.

Difference is that the comparison I made was not between Britain and a 'Third world' country. It was between two companies in the same country (Farepack and Crown Currency) going bust.

Archived