Crown Currency Gone Bust ???

mike 202

Yes, but Peter, I think the OP was to alert people to the position of the company, especially anyone who had an interest (pecuniary, not passing!).

You make a series of good points, any of which are worthy of an individual "chatterbox" string, but they deflect from the central point of this string.  I think that is all anyone is griping about.  To be blunt, stick to the point, Sir.  :-D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had friends who lost a lot of money transferring funds out to Greece, they used an international currency exchange which offered a higher rate than the bank but the money never turned up into their overseas account. The police were involved but could not do anything and the government just give the line that these companies are not covered under the Financial Compensation rules.

Whilst using a high street bank is obviously safer beware the rates of exchange. Published rates in papers or on the internet have no bearing on what the banks give their customers. When we transferred money back to the UK after selling our house in Greece we lost over £6000 on the exchange rate and when we complained to the bank the reply was that they can give any rate they want. The financial ombudsman agreed.

Taken from another web site:

"This was covered on Moneybox on BBC Radio 4, yesterday. They said that Barclays had frozen the companies accounts to protect creditors, which may be a hopeful sign, and that the company was not in administration."

Hope this may be of some comfort.

D.

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2010-10-03 3:22 PM

To be blunt, stick to the point, Sir.  :-D

Fair Comment Brian.

Although I think if we had all stuck to the point this thread would be about 2 lines long because we know so little about what is happening at Crown Currency.

I very nearly considered them, but I asked myself the question "who are they" and decided I did not know the answer, so glad my aversion to risk won the day. So I will stick to bank/post office/tesco etc. and continue with my boring but moderately safe existance, albeit not wringing every last ounce out of my money*-)

I know it is a bit sad watching morning TV, but BBC morning TV has just announced that customers of Crown Currency are owed £20 Million, some individuals up to £100k.

BBC also said that customers were NOT covered by current legistration that protects Bank customers up to £50k.

I think that some of the comments although deviating from the original thread have at least been thought provoking with regard to risk taking to get a better rate. I personally got my money from C/C days before they went bust.

Mike (Currently in Spain)

People still seem often unable to grasp that with return comes risk.

Generally the two are closely connected: the higher the possible return, the higher the concomitant risk.

That is NOT to say don't take risk......... everything involves some degree of risk. But research and understand the risk, and balance it against the promised/likely return.

But it is often easy to mitigate that risk if paying up front............by paying for risky things like this via your CREDIT (NOT debit) card; these credit card transactions usually have a degree of payment protection built in.

Guest Peter James

Peter Benstead - Director of Crown Currency (in liquidation) http://www.crowncurrencyexchange.com/statement.php

Also Director: Mayfair and Grant. August 2009 — Present

Mayfair was the wine company that went bust in 2006, Grant Thornton Administrators. As in Bensteads Conservatory Business (liquidated) TV Business (liquidated) etc

Spot of bother with the liquidators so you may have missed out on Crown Currencies offer of foreign currency way above bank rates but … Gold is at an all time high and rising, but Mayfair & Grant (established 2009) have just reduced their advertised prices of Gold Bricks….

http://www.mayfairandgrant.com/ - just check the analysis desk

Just send your money and that nice Mr Benstead will look after it for you (when he has finished bashing those pisky television cameramen outside) ... Thank you my Lovelies ... yes its the same address as Crown Currency (in liquidation) - John Harvey House, Foundry Square, Hayle, Cornwall .... Thank you my Handsomes .....

(don’t mean to offend, just trying to warn people that’s all)

Nice one Peter, sorry I accused you of rambling earlier in the thread. It seems that your investigations have shown those of us who got our money just how lucky we were. Seems a good plot for the TV programme "The Hustlers". A nice long Con game, let it run and even lose a bit of their own cash for a while to build up confidence in the punters - then bang, shut up shop and elope with the profits.

Once again thanks for your digging.

Regards Mike

Guest Peter James
mike 202 - 2010-10-06 12:58 PM

Nice one Peter, sorry I accused you of rambling earlier in the thread. It seems that your investigations have shown those of us who got our money just how lucky we were. Seems a good plot for the TV programme "The Hustlers". A nice long Con game, let it run and even lose a bit of their own cash for a while to build up confidence in the punters - then bang, shut up shop and elope with the profits.

Once again thanks for your digging.

Regards Mike

Looking back my first post on this thread was insensitive, so its not your fault. Thanks for the Thumbs Up.

another one here:

Grants of Cornwall

Backed by experts

Grants of Cornwall was launched in 2009 in Hayle, Cornwall. We are part of Mayfair & Grant who belong to the financial experts Crown Holdings Ltd. It’s what distinguishes our service from the rest.

Grants of Cornwall is a trading name of Mayfair & Grant Ltd. John Harvey House, Foundry Square, Hayle, Cornwall. TR27 4HH

webpage: (before it gets changed) http://www.grantsofcornwall.com/sell/about.php

Guest JudgeMental

another scam:

a lot of foreign conveyancing solicitors setting up in the UK. they attract business at cheap rates, then build the business and when they have a massive amount of money being transferred from buyer to seller in their account, they shut up shop and abscond with millions

Peter James - 2010-10-06 1:36 PM  We are part of Mayfair & Grant who belong to the financial experts Crown Holdings Ltd. It’s what distinguishes our service from the rest. Grants of Cornwall is a trading name of Mayfair & Grant Ltd. John Harvey House, Foundry Square, Hayle, Cornwall. TR27 4HH webpage: (before it gets changed) http://www.grantsofcornwall.com/sell/about.php[/quote]

NO....!! It can't be our own FRED GRANT.......!!!! surely not me ansoms. Not thee Grasping Grant :D

Dave

rizbidding - 2010-10-09 10:14 PM

Please be careful with any purchases with Mayfair and Grant. Unfortunately I placed an order for a few bars and no deliveries. There is a genuine problem and it seems as though we're all being taken for a real Hustle

Riz

Don't just be careful avoid them like the plague because they are con merchants. Anyone know how we can find out how many other companies this joker has?>:-)

• 4 weeks later...
This thread worried me at first as this year I have started to use a money exchange firm instead of the bankwhich now charges £20 for each transaction no matter how small. I know that we can no longer be sure about any firm but I have checked out HiFX which is the frim I have dealt with for several months and their credentials seem ok. Their exchange rate is only slightly above that of the bank but there are no charges (neither in the UK nor at the French bank) added so therefore I save at least £20 each transaction. However, this thread worried me so the last time I paid by credit card but was charged nearly £5 forthe privilege, not to mention the interest charges.

I have just come across this info about Crown Currency if anyone is interested on moneysavingexpert.com: Crown Currency Insolvency Practioner Report. We commissioned an accountant to dig into the currency bureau on MoneySavers' behalf - read his findings in the PDF: Crown report Discuss: Crown report

Archived