Peugeot boxer/ elddis auto quest towbar wiring

crbtaylor

When I had the Iveco there was a harness available for about 250 notes .

This is too expensive for most pockets so fix up a separate fuse box made from a sheet of 5 ply and prepare to do the whole job. First a 7 fuse fusebox connected directly to batt pos.

Using 5 core or whatever thin cable connect sensor wires to each point you want to work Take to fusebox and fit relays to the ply and connect sensors to no 85 on relays. Connect the 86 to earth point by a bus bar on ply.Connect from fuses a thick wire supply to the relays and this is 30.

Using thick 5-core or whatever take the outputs from 87 to the plug of the towbar. Use a separate thick earth to the plug and make sure that all connections including the sensors are soldered NOT crimped.

If you want separate 50 watt reversing lights then add relays accordingly.

Hope this helps as it is a lot simpler than it sounds. Route the wire cable away from friction areas and clamp securely. Dont forget to label which fuse and relay does what.

Hi Colin,

And whether you have a pre-wired socket or not, DO NOT USE crimp connectors of the 'Scotchlock' variety as the are not waterproof so will ultimately corrode and lose connectivity and also damage the original wire and reduce it's current carrying capability resulting in potential 'hot-spots' and failures.

Always part strip the insulation of the host wire without cutting fully through and then solder the new wire onto it.

Keith.

Guest Peter James
Keithl - 2010-10-03 5:56 PM

Hi Colin,

And whether you have a pre-wired socket or not, DO NOT USE crimp connectors of the 'Scotchlock' variety as the are not waterproof so will ultimately corrode and lose connectivity and also damage the original wire and reduce it's current carrying capability resulting in potential 'hot-spots' and failures.

Always part strip the insulation of the host wire without cutting fully through and then solder the new wire onto it.

Keith.

I found Scotchlock connectors to be still very troublesome even when they were nowhere near water. I made the mistake of wiring up my first motorhome using scotchlock connectors. Even though they were all inside and dry I had so many bad connections with them I eventually had to strip everything out again and remake all the connections with cheeseblock.

I think using Scotchlock connectors is the most time consuming and frustrating mistake I have ever made with a motor vehicle.

Archived