Winter Sun

degsy

With winter approaching and the thought of the cold damp weather and grey dismal skies to come, the notion of 'disappearing' for a month or so to warmer climes seems quite appealing.

Reading this forum over the years I guess most motorcaravaners head off to southern Spain (or north Africa) for their dose of winter sun. We have more an affinity with Italy and whilst we have travelled there many times in the spring/summer we have not ventured to so in the winter.

We would be interested to know from any fellow motorcaravaners who have made the winter journey to southern Italy what their opinion is. Is it warm enough (?) are there campsites open, region/location etc. We thought we might go in late January coming back in early March.

Thanks....

hi Degsy,

Ther are quite anumber of posts on Motorhomefacts about southern Italy especially Sicily that doesn't mean there are not any on here but it is a bit of a pain interrogating the system. Campsites are a bit sparse when you get past Naples at that time of year but the ACSI book is a good starting point and they do tend to be much cheaper. It can be cold on the adriatic side and like greece you can get snow but it is variable. The western coasts are much more clement. ON the plus side the people are much nicer and it is much less 'tacky' you probably won't be fighting off the dutch and germans. You can't guarentee the weather, look at Spain and Portugal last year, wet cold and windy, so personally I would go for Italy and Sicily every time. One bad point is that the quality of the roads deteriorates quite markedly the further south you go. They didn't sting the taxpayers of the EU in the same way as the Spanish did *-)

Hope this helps........ Ned

Guest JudgeMental

That is handy Roy, kinda what I thought though, Italy more rain then southern Spain. I have never wintered in southern Europe as yet, as we tend to fly to get some proper heat in the short time we presently have available....

But from what I have read, Spain seems a better bet on average but have read reports of people having good winters in Sicily as well...why not try both if you have the time.....We summer in Italy every year and love it!

I have the weather of areas of interest displayed on my desktop. Today, southern Spain, southern Italy and south of France all similar at about 24-25 deg C

We done Sicily last winter and it was fine plenty of campsites on Sicily open but from naples down to there you will struggle to find one. We went down the west coast and returned via the east cutting across to Rome as we never went on the way down. Left in January returned May, there is some good deals if you want to stop for a month and if not most are around €14 a night . All in all it was not to bad, people friendly and we seen some great places a lot better than I expected and it made a change from the mobs and I mean mobs of Brits, Dutch and Germans you get in Spain and Portugal.

Archived