Ford transit help required

chris

Hi

Just had our new van but have 2 problems:_

1. Manual not present. Is there any web link that anyone knows of that I v

can access to get the manual downloaded whilst we wait for a new one?

2. Checked tyres tonight but as rear wheel drive its new to us and we could not succed with one set at the back and also ended up snapping the white plastic tyre valve for the inside tyre. Any advise please?

Thanks

Chris

Can't help you with the tyre valve, but had a similar problem with the manual - my German van came with a French manual.

There is a Belgian Ford site that has most of the (relatively current) Ford vehicle manuals available for download - I have a copy here.

Can't remember the url (I'm trying to find it now) - I don't think offering to email you is going to work - it's a 38MB PDF file!

Is it twin wheeled?

I'm not familier with latest Ford twin wheel set up but on an earlier model when the rear tyres where changed they fitted 'normal' tyre valves to inside wheels, found out when we went to check pressures , got sent back to have 'extended' valves fitted.

Yes it is a rear wheel drive and the inner tyre has the extended valve which is white plastic as we snapped the top off. Also extremely difficult to inflate the outer tyre as it is poinTing inwards not out?

Hope you find the link to that Belgian site as we would like to know how to use cruise control, trip switch etc.

tHANKS

cHRIS

It may or may not be good news.

I've found the site (I believe it is a Belgian Ford customer services site).

The file you want is http://fordfcsd.wunderman.be/UK/Vehicle%20Manuals/Transit/Transit%28CG3527en%2905-2010.pdf

...which is a newer version than I downloaded (I got a 2009 version).

I've tried downloading without success - it is giving me a file error after a long wait (presumably trying to download) - worth you having a go though!

You know it's horrible has you get older and your memory goes :-S

Was driving a 08 model at easter and I worked out quite easliy how to use cruise control but can't remember now, derek, brian or whoever must be able to explain it.

p.s. judge is online he has one.

Pretty sure the file I've posted the link to is corrupt.

The file size is half that of my download (and also half that of the other three languages its available in)

Sod's law that it looks like the English version that is kaput.

If you think a version in either French Dutch or German would help your understanding, you could go to the top level, and follow from there to the appropriate download.

http://fordfcsd.wunderman.be

Best I can do for now I'm afraid. :-(

To use the cruise:

On the left side of steering wheel inner there’s the pad with a speedo image/icon 'on' button, press it to turn it on (nothing appears to happen). Then on the right hand side of the wheel there are three buttons:

RES = resume

+ = increase speed

- = decrease speed

The '+' sets the cruise at whatever speed you are currently doing.

To reduce the cruise speed you press the ‘-‘ button, or ‘+’ to increase.

If you touch the clutch or brake it will disengage, or if you use the accelerator you can increase your speed (eg to overtake) and once you've let the accelerator go, you will then drop back to the set cruise speed.

To stop it temporarily you press the ‘RES’ button.

To engage it again on press the ‘RES’ button to continue at the speed you set originally.

To stop it altogether you press the 'off' button on the left side.

Result but in French!! At least I have pictures and can understand some French.

Will keep trying to download it in English but file seems corrupt as you say.

I am going to keep trying anyway. Got to say thanks to you all for this help as its really excellent. Regards the tyres we are probably heading to our local lorry tyre firm tomorrow to look at it for us as we are letting air out not putting it in at the moment.

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

I've uploaded my English copy of the Transit manual.

S/be available for 7 days at a url I've PM'd you

It's the first time I've used this large file host (which is free), so apologies if any problems (and I'd suggest you virus check the download just in case, but it looks pukka)

Let me know if it works for you.

Chris

I have a Mk6 ford tranny with double back wheels - great for soft pitches and stable driving.

Mine also has silly plastic valve extenders on the inner wheel when purchased - why do ford waste their money with these piddling bits of plastic?

Solution: go to ATS or any lorry (not car) tyre depot and get them to fit tyre valve extenders. These are flexible steel braided hoses with a clamp on the exposed end to ensure that you can access to inflate. Make sure the fitter puts the clamp at an angle that you can work with - or alter it yourself later.

Cost me £2 per extender and no fitting charge - never been a problem since!

Good luck.

Chris

Sorry - other point the manual.

My LMC was a finance reposession so all I got at purchase was the log book !

I bought my Ford Transit manual off EBay - simplest and cheaper than Ford dealer - also bought a nice glovebox cover for it as well. Lots for sale.

All you need to know it the year and model - probably a Mark 7 (2007 onwards).

You can download the radio manual as that is normally separate and I found one online for free. Again - check the audio model number first.

Hope this helps

Great responses everyone. Thanks to Robinhood I have downloaded the English manual. I have now got the audio manual too.

Regarding the tyres, there will be a visit to Celtic Tyres tomorrow who we know understand tyres for vans etc.

Thanks for some very useful posts from everyone.

Chris

Aren't Transit-related manuals available anymore via Ford main dealers?

As my own 2005 Transit-based LHD Hobby came with German-language documentation, I needed English equivalents. Ford(UK) gave me an Owners' Handbook when I asked (nicely!) and I bought Service and Audio booklets from a local Ford dealership for trifling sums.

Derek Uzzell - 2010-10-06 7:52 AM

Aren't Transit-related manuals available anymore via Ford main dealers?

As my own 2005 Transit-based LHD Hobby came with German-language documentation, I needed English equivalents. Ford(UK) gave me an Owners' Handbook when I asked (nicely!) and I bought Service and Audio booklets from a local Ford dealership for trifling sums.

Agree, I got a manual from local dealer oh and a service book. Just tell them you will have it serviced by them and I am sure thgey will accomodate with a couple of free books.

My dealer is arranging to get the Ford manual but even though I am a patient person that does not apply to knowledge. I couldn't wait to get it delivered so now we are both reading the manual to our hearts content.

We have a new Ford garage opening by us so I will be one of their first customers.

Regarding the tyres we visited Celtic Tyres and they replaced the plastic valves and we bought 2 spares so ready for the road now.

Chris

Chris, was it PDI'd locally by a Ford dealer directly before delivery?

If not, or you don't know, it would be worthwhile chasing Ford to ensure that your warranty start date gets adjusted correctly.

Mine (Hobby) was PDI'd by a Ford Dealer in Germany either just before or after it was converted. Ford UK have now reset the warranty to the first registration date (and it gets the full 3 year warranty, I think Germany is 2 years!).

Given that it gets full pan-European recovery for the first year, its worthwhile getting it sorted before any problems arise (although, of course, there aren't going to be any :D )

I suspect if I hadn't chased, nothing would have been done, and the warranty would have remained a German one from point of PDI.

I can give you an email contact at Ford to chase if necessary. (scanned copy of first two pages of V5C was enough for them to react).

Also, if you haven't tried already, putting your VIN into the Etis system at

http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

will provide you with quite a few vehicle details, and also flag any outstanding service actions (if any). (By using it, I knew there was an intercoooler hose recall on mine before the dealer forwarded the documentation on).

Robinhood, you are right. Ford Etis says April 2008 but we bought it new at registration 1st Oct 2010 so I will chase that up when the log book comes. It was PDId last week by a Ford garage. I had to do similar with our Renault Master as the warranty did not match. I nagged them to death till they sorted it

Chris :-D

• 2 weeks later...
chris - 2010-10-06 7:36 PM Robinhood, you are right. Ford Etis says April 2008 but we bought it new at registration 1st Oct 2010 so I will chase that up when the log book comes. It was PDId last week by a Ford garage. I had to do similar with our Renault Master as the warranty did not match. I nagged them to death till they sorted it Chris :-D

Bloody hell - 2 1/2 years to put a box with a bed and a sink on the back....

Bazza454 - 2010-10-15 11:13 AM

Bloody hell - 2 1/2 years to put a box with a bed and a sink on the back....

....hardly. 2 1/2 years from original build to *sell*, but probably less than a year from original build to conversion. (and from memory, Chris knew the vintage of the 'van before he bought it).Not entirely out of the ordinary - what was the build to sell time on your Van Exclusive? (Easily obtainable by looking at Ford Etis).On a similar vehicle to yours, mine was around 9 months (and I suspect around 6 months from original build to conversion).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived