Just back from Spain/France

hallii

I am pleased to report that the French Aires are all still there, but were a lot busier than last year. Has the French Government given every over 60's a free motor home? It seems so, there were many more French m/h ers clogging up the Aires than I am used to.

The Brits were conspicuous by their absence, both in France and Spain, the same applies to the Germans, they were very much reduced.

In Spain the wild camping spots are still there, we only got moved once and that was fair enough as we were on a nice beachside parking place for three nights. The Police came and asked us nicely if we would move "sometime tomorrow" and that we could park just up the hill for as long as we liked...

The cost of living at E1.20 to the £ (Crown Currency, phew!) was roughly the same in France but cheaper in Spain.

I noticed the Spanish bars and restaurants had reduced the prices a bit and a decent meal could be had for around 8 Euros, including some horrible house wine!

France has installed even more "Safety Cameras" so I felt even more safe and even a bit wrapped up in cotton wool. They even had lots of mobile "Safety Cameras" operated by some nice friendly policemen who will drive you to the bank to get the money to pay the fine.

I didn't get gassed or robbed, but did get a puncture, a nice German man helped me change the wheel and a nice Spanish tyre man mended it for me.

I got flashed twice, once by a nice Spanish lady who didn't wear any under garments, and once by a French "Safety Camera", I will endeavor to ignore them both!

Hallii

Guest pelmetman
hallii - 2010-10-07 6:11 PM

I got flashed twice, once by a nice Spanish lady who didn't wear any under garments, and once by a French "Safety Camera", I will endeavor to ignore them both!

Hallii

Good idea, as they will both cost money, and one might give you a nasty rash :D

We also noticed more French Motorhomers around in September. Its also noticeable how affluent the Dutch are with their numerous"A" Class Hymers etc, in contast to quite a number of old German vans. In contrast we just seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

We are leaving on Saturday. 3 vans travelling down through France to Southern Spain. Do you think we will have problems getting on the aires as there are 3 of us?

If there are a few campsites still open I suppose this could be an answer but I am told they are few and far between in France at this time of year.

mirage - 2010-10-08 7:41 PM

We also noticed more French Motorhomers around in September. Its also noticeable how affluent the Dutch are with their numerous"A" Class Hymers etc, in contast to quite a number of old German vans. In contrast we just seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth.

We noticed quite the opposite in mid September. On one particular site we stayed on for 5 nights, it averaged around 10 campers per night of which 6 - 7 were British.

Martyn

The Vendee supermarkets were nailing up the shutters about the middle of Sept. and some other small companies were still sending clients on holiday. They were horrified at how little was left as the shops and bars were similarly closing and I used to say to them that 1st prize was 1 weeks holiday and 2nd prize was 2 weeks holiday.

When asked what they were going to do I said they would have a v. quiet holiday.

We used to go down to Spain for 2 months holiday and come back when the nights were getting cold in Nov.

We spent the first three weeks of September in France mainly in the Massif Central only saw one British van on our travels over the three weeks. All the aires & car parks we over nighted in the vans were nearly all French occasionally a few Dutch the odd Belgium & German, we were certainly the odd one out.

Hi,

In France now and weather here in Charante is very warm and sunny. In Angouleme this afternoon, making use of wi-fi in local cafe. Staying on really good aire at Nersac (dept16). Nice setting next to town centre, with free parking, free services and free electric hook-up; bus to Angouleme costs 2.60 Euros return. A well recommended aire.

Regarding number of Brits on aires then seen three on aires so far (1 week in). One our friends at Montville, one at Brezolles (who seemed to think he was site warden telling us where to park!) and one just arrived at Nersac. On whole mainly French vans. Not surprised by his Lordships finding, only Brits are silly enough to go on sites in France (only kidding!).

Regarding if 3 vans together would be OK then yes if arrive before 4.00 pm should be fine at most aires going down towards Spain.

• 5 weeks later...
We have a CL type site in Central Brittany and were full through September, all Brits. Thanks to those who stayed with us. We are motorhomers ourselves and sometimes use Aires when sites are closed, but we also try to remember that like us the sites are trying to make a living and so we support them with our custom when we can..

Archived