Boxer Gear change

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

My 2006 old type Boxer 2.2hdi gearchange has gradually been getting more stiff and obstructive in operation - particularly across the gate.

Generally the fore and aft movement into gear is OK but it can be hard to find first gear sometimes and I often end up in third.

Does anyone have any experience of similar problems please and is there a possible cure other than the £342 plus vat that Peugeot want for a set of gear change cables - plus fitting!

Thanks

Hi Tracker,

I read on some forum that a strip down, cleaning and greasing can solve the problem. Rain water can get amongst the linkages and stiffen them up.

It would depend if you can get easy access. One quick glance will make your mind up whether or not to pay up and leave it to somebody else to sort out. :D

Hi Rich,

It is easy, and although it can be done on the ground it's much easier to do on a ramp. The linkage where the cables meet the gearbox needs to be removed and thoroughly cleaned (we use a grinding mandrel). It should not take more than an hour to do on a ramp, maybe 1.5 hours on the floor. Whoever does the job should lubricate the joint with Aluminium grease and not copper. Aluminium grease is less likely to cogeal and become sticky. It also collects less dirt.

She'll be like new afterwards.

Nick

Guest Tracker
Very many thanks Nick and 747 - just what I suspected - and hoped for - I don't have a ramp so I guess it is time to go get the right grease and grovel again!

nowtelse2do - 2010-10-08 5:50 PM

Well, that's his B/H sorted Nick, what about the Boxer? I'm sure its the gearbox out and a full strip down, in'it :D

Dave

OOH! Not right at all! Ally grease is not hypoo-allergenic so could lead to much more serious issues if not confined to purely mechanical applications.Steady!Nick

Guest Tracker

I must use rubber gloves when applying non hypo allergenic grease to sensitive areas Dave and I can start with yours you cheeky bugger!

Hypo allergenic grease - what's all that about - what a nation of wimps!

When I were a lad grease came in gurt buckets and was thick enough to remove all play from worn balls and pins for years at a time - in fact you had to warm it to even get it in the grease gun - but it didn't arf stick!

I'll see if I still have any just for you Dave!

You are to kind Rich, But mine ain't worn yet, but slowly deteriorating. Best stuff we ever used on the cranes was Black Jack, it was like tar. Of course there was an initiation ceremony for cheeky young sod's like me, that was performed at the end of the week (Sat dinner time) cinder's from the steam crane's mixed in with the Black Jack and smeared on, you know where!! I had a 3 mile walk over the moors to get home and home had no bathroom, just the tin bath in front of the fire. Mother went ballistic and it took the rest of the weekend to stop her seeing my boss. If she had complained I would have got worse. 3 weeks before I was fully clean (even with a haircut 8-) )

Dave

Dave

Guest Tracker
nowtelse2do - 2010-10-08 8:16 PM 3 weeks before I was fully clean (even with a haircut 8-) )

Dave

Dave

Good job they only put it on yer 'ead then innit?????????????????????Cables, sliding shaft, and joints all cleaned up and greased this morning in the warm Autumnal sunshine and the gearchange now as good as new - just like Nick said - he is a clever bugger you know and I for one am mighty appreciative of his input on this forum -thanks Nick.Not as easy with the van on ramps as it would have been on a lift or over a pit but still quite easy once you get yer hands to the right places - as said the actress to the Bishop - allegedly!

Hi Tracker

Should not need a clean even.

Get under van with a can of spray grease.

Put the missus in the cab and get her to move the gearlever from left to right a few times while you spray the shaft as it enters and exits the gearbox.

It cured mine, and I do it now a couple times a year.

Ken

We had this from new on our last van (Boxer 2.5td) I used to lift the cover from around the gear lever and sqirt WD40 down the cables and around the linkage.

Doing this twice a year gave me a nice smooth gerachange with no problems (an no messy grease!)

Archived