Rain "spatter" and roof ventilators

hallii

My Hymer 522 roof ventilators have a very annoying feature.

When it rains I cannot have them open more than a very small amount. Now in Spain it gets hot and rains both at the same time!

So, any ideas on how I can have the vents fully open and not have the "spatter" gently falling on me as I lie in bed?

It is not unpleasant, in fact it is rather cooling, but of course the bed and carpet gets wet.

What happens is that the rain hits the roof and bounces up and into the vent falling as a fine mist.

Hallii

Does not help with rain splatter but might work as plan B !

You may get some cooling if you have the older type of Truma heating with the convector fire whereby you could turn the ducted fan heating on (without the fire on !) and cooler air is drawn from under the motorhome and distributed via the duct outlets.

Unfortunately the newer systems seem only to recirculate the air from inside the motorhome (unless anyone knows different ???)

Rgds

By sheer co-incidence I was in Maryport Cumbria today and there was a van parked on the quayside. I thought it had 3 air con units on the roof, so I went for a nosey. Anyway they were Omnivent covers and they did look to be a permenant fixture. They were about 9 inches high and about the same across. It had vents in it facing the rear of the van, so I presume you can drive with them open.

I was going to look them up tonight, but haven't yet.

Robinhood - 2010-10-08 6:40 PM

If the vents are 40x40, try Googling "Fiamma Vent Cover".

I'm sure they would improve matters in rain, but I'm unconvinced for permanent installation.

This Fiamma product is intended to provide protection for small roof-lights when the roof-light has been left open during rain and/or when the leisure-vehicle is moving. It is attached with brackets, will often add significantly to the vehicle's overall height and, being opaque, will inevitably darken the vehicle's interior.

I suspect that the covers Tomo3090 saw were of made by Fiamma, as I don't think Omnistor has ever produced them. There's no sign of them in my 2006 Omnistor catalogue, nor on the Omnistor website. (This doesn't necessarily prove anthing as, although the Fiamma covers plainly exist and are being marketed, I can't find any reference to them in my 2010 Fiamma catalogue nor on the Fiamma websites!)

Derek Uzzell - 2010-10-09 8:01 AM

I suspect that the covers Tomo3090 saw were of made by Fiamma, as I don't think Omnistor has ever produced them. There's no sign of them in my 2006 Omnistor catalogue, nor on the Omnistor website. (This doesn't necessarily prove anthing as, although the Fiamma covers plainly exist and are being marketed, I can't find any reference to them in my 2010 Fiamma catalogue nor on the Fiamma websites!)

It is possible to to find the odd reference to "Omni-Cover" on Google (but often in conjuction with the word "discontinued" :-S ). I cetainly couldn't find any being actively marketed, though I have memories of having seen an Omnistor version.

(An example on http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/vents.htm)

When looking for the Fiamma Vent cover, I found two different products.

The first may be what Tomo & Derek referred too.

http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/fiamma-vent-cover-40x40-p-1491.html

The second would not be much use for an open Vent, but would help to stop heat loss in winter.

http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/fiamma-thermo-vent-cover-p-68.html

Thanks Flicka, (and all) that vent cover is BIG! Also the vents are directional it appears, so I would have to park facing the breeze, not always easy.

So I am going to try to make something out of Polycarb sheet, maybe like a collar fixed with silicone to the transparent bit.

Geoff

flicka - 2010-10-11 2:34 PM

When looking for the Fiamma Vent cover, I found two different products.

The first may be what Tomo & Derek referred too.

http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/fiamma-vent-cover-40x40-p-1491.html

The second would not be much use for an open Vent, but would help to stop heat loss in winter.

http://www.campervanaccessories.co.uk/fiamma-thermo-vent-cover-p-68.html

Hi Hallii

Why fix it ? Free fix & then slightly close the vent to keep in place.

If all round lifting vent just use 3 squares & 1 rectangle.

If you have a side lift Vent, could you not just have 2 triangular, 1 square, 1 rectangular & 1 half trianglular pieces, that slot together so you can leave out one of the sides to half height.

Not easy to put into words, but using 3 sides with the downwind side.

Use the rectangle & two triangles if downwind is at the rear so that it is sufficient height to stop rain "bounce", but still allow a vent area.

If a crosswind use 1 triangle (on wind side) square to rear & the half triangle on the downwind side.

Something like clear perspex should be strong enough, without weighing much & will allow daylight through.

Then Flatpack for when not in use.

Tried to upload a sketch but would not accept. So sending a PM.

Can't attach to a PM either, sorry.

Guest Tracker

Had a similar issue many years ago and I made up a simple wooden box frame out of a 3/8 marine ply offcut that fitted round the outside of the vent close to but not touching and attached it to the roof with 'no nails' rather than drill holes in the roof.

It worked well for a year or so before flying off on the M5 near Taunton at 70mph in a strong crosswind never to be seen again and I made a mental note to screw it to the skylight frame just above roof level next time!

Archived