mpbile reception and laptops and wifi - help!

nell

Hello everyone,

I've got 2 questions: getting wifi on my laptop abroad, and

which mobile providers give you the best coverage?

I don't know if this is the right forum - if not please tell me where to go.

We have recently returned from 4 weeks in germany, belgium and austria and on my return i have received a big bill from o2 for data usage on my iphone 4 while away .

I thought i'd got it all sorted before i went away - i'd got a payg dongle from o2 to use on my apple macbook only to find i couldn't use it to access the internet!! as only business users can do this when abroad - said the small print in the handbook that came with my dongle.... they didn't tell me this when i bought it. So, i went onto the internet every now and then via my iphone whenever i could get 3g or wifi ---and hence the big bill... :-( :-(

Is there a way of accessing the internet on my laptop without incurring the big bills thru resorting to using my iphone??

Also, while i'm here does anybody know what the best mobile provider is for reception for my iphone in the uk - i am fed up being on a site in lovely setting and find i am out of contact because of poor reception (i'm with o2 monthly sim only). I need to be contactable because my mum is disabled and has alzheimers. I set up the support for her as far as i can before i go away but i still need to be contactable in an emergency.

I could probably find this info - but i don't know where to start looking and i'm sure theres lots of people with more experience of this than me who can help me.

Thanks for any advice. :-D :-D

As a general rule, you can access the internet via WiFi direct from your laptop providing it has the necessary WiFi equipment installed.  So far as I know, pretty much all laptops made over the past 3/4 years (some longer) will have this, and also all net books.  If yours does not, you can get USB adaptors from PC World etc.  Many campsites, McDonald's, and hotel foyers across Europe provide WiFi hotspots, some are free, some charge, some will give free access if you buy a drink or w.h.y, for some you need an access code, for some a username and password, some are "open" hotspots.

Re the phone, can't answer for the I-Phone, but I would suggest getting a PAYG SIM from Lebara, which gives relatively cheap texting throughout Europe, with fair rates on voice if/when needed.  Alternatively, explore buying a local PAYG SIM in whatever country (though not all permit this for non-residents).  I would suggest getting a cheap, simple mobile phone for the PAYG SIM.  Pre-load it before you leave UK, stick it in the phone, and just leave the O2 job (and the desirable I-Phone) behind!  Roamed data costs are invariably astronomic, as are roamed voice calls, and in many cases roamed texts.  PAYG simply enables you to limit your losses (to phone + whatever value you have on the SIM) if your phone gets nicked.

So, laptop for WiFi (surfing and/or e-mail) plus basic phone and PAYG SIM for SMS (stick to SMS) texts.

You should be able to get wi fi access wherever you go (obviously not small villages) but you may have to pay for it, camp site, internet cafe, information centres etc. if free access is not available. You could consider a wi fi arial to increase your range. We found Orange with roaming facility gave us access wherever we were in Spain, although that may not be true of everywhere. It also means you are available to receive a call

Are you aware of Skype? if not send me a pm or email and I will give you the information.

Roy Fuller

Thanks Brian and Porky you've given me things to think about

One question - it might be stupid - but if i buy a cheap mob and/or a sim abroad like say germany would all my texts and internet pages be in german?

I have been in France or Spain since early July and found O2 worked everywhere. Before I left England I arranged Europe Extra with O2. This costs £10 per month (only £5 if only in Spain) and for that I receive voice calls free. I can make voice calls for a discounted price. My normal contract allows 1200 text messages and sending from abroad takes 4 for every message - all for free still allowing 300 free messages per month.

I also (in desperation!) accessed the internet briefly on my phone (not to be recommended expense wise!) and I also used my 3 dongle twice. When I complained to 3 re the charge was dearer than they had told me to expect, they cancelled all the charges. Great company 3 - customer services are very polite and efficient and have always called me on my O2 mobile if I have contacted them.

Wifi has been mixed - one campsite with very reasonable camping rates had fast free wifi, others which advertised free wifi had poor reception and Mcdonald's required me to enter as the signal was so weak.

Hi Nell, Can't help with the WIFI since I don't have a laptop but I do have a mobile phone (not a Blackberry or similar) which I use for texting in the main as I have a hearing problem. I use Orange and have not had a problem contacting home from most of Europe including Poland during the last five or so years. Hope this helps, :-D B-)

Archived