Fuel Economy

philparry

Hi, I've just bought a new Burstner Solano, which I love very much, but I have been surprised by the apparent fule economy. I used to own an AutoTrail Cheyenne 634L 2.8 Fiat and averaged about 28mpg, even getting 30 during a tour of the west coast of Scotland (driving much slower than on Motorways).

The Burstner appears to return in the mid to low 20s, whcih is disappointing as I thought thatthe low profile and new Fiat 130hp engine would be more efficient.

Any comments, views, thoughts? We have only completed about 3,000 miles so it is still very new!

Phil

I would guess that you've got the new, judder free, gearbox which I think has a lower final drive.

When the box was changed on mine the 2000rev speed dropped in 6th gear and the fuel consumption got worse by 10%. (but it does go backwards better)

Dave

Hi Phil

Welcome to the mad house. :-D

Your Burstner is around half a metre longer than your Autotrail so you could be lugging more weight around than you used to.

You might inadvertently be taking 'advantage' of the better, and faster, engine and therefore accelerating more than previously.

The more miles you put on, the better it should get.

Our Chausson on the Mk 7 Ford had a worst of 25 mpg and a best of 29.3 mpg since we've owned it (new in April 2010), depending on the type of driving we're doing (motorway, normal roads, or little roads on the Scottish islands, or even up and down the Pyrenees!!!).

Hello,

The figures that you have stated seem realistic. Our panel vans with 2.8JTD engines before 2006 did 30-35mpg but the new 2.3JTD's do between 23 and 28mpg. (The old 2.8idTD easily did 40mpg!)

Blame the pillocks in Europe for making the manufacturers conform to idiotic Euro 4 standards that are biased towards particulate matter and Hydrocarbons instead of just using less fuel. None of them was smart enough to listen to the engineers that advised them that the reduction of fuel consumption would inevitably lead to lower emissions and of course conservation of resources. Of course, that would have netted less revenue from fuel taxation.

Euro 5 is much worse. Don't wait; buy a Euro 4 now. After March next year you won't have a choice. All new Fiat Ducato's ordered after March 1st 2011 will be Euro 5. You might save a little in VED but you will pay at the pumps. (And what I am hearing about fuel and ad-blue consumption on Ford's and Mercs does not sound good either).

Nick

Our new Autosleeper 2.2 130 6 speed Peugeot has just done about 1000 miles on a tryout trip to France and from fill to fill on logged mileage averaged 32 mpg which hopefully will improve once she gets bedded in and more miles on the clock .

Our Ace Airstream had the same size engine and 6 speed box but weighed in an extra 200kgs used to average 33/35 mpg but had alledgedly been chipped but not by me so I could not say for certain it had been.

Hi, seems a bit low to me, I run a Bessecarr 560(23 feet long, 3.5 tonnes, low profile) and return 29-32mpg depending on journey. Admittedly I sit at indicated 60 on motorway(true 55) and 50 on single carriageways so depends do try to get the most out of each litre(Scottish born and bred!). Mileage now about 5000, I would leave yours another couple of thousand or so and if no improvement get the dealer to have a look. I take it you are measuring accurately and not relying on the trip computer?

We have been averaging 27 to 29 in our Autocruise Sportstar.

Actual mpg tank fill to tank fill against speedo indication of 29 to 34.

BUT went to Southampton over the weekend, 260 miles each way, mixture of motorway & A roads.

Trip mpg reset & Standard Diesel outbound = 27.3mpg.(actual) 29.8(indicated)

Filled at Southampton with Premium Diesel to return home = 23.1mpg.(actual) 25.6 (indicated)

Same route in reverse & same overall travelling time, so no appreciable difference in mph speed.

Again Tank full to tank full calculations.

So I shall NOT be using Premium Diesel anymore in future.

What about wind direction flicka? This last weekend there was quite a lively northerly wind blowing, at least here in the Midlands. I would think this could well be responsible for the difference in your fuel consumption helping you along as you travel south from Lincolnshire to Southampton but hindering you as you headed back.

Hi Stuart

I would expect a little worse consumption due to the wind, but the Premium Diesel is advertised as giving more MPG, so my thought was I should at least get the same as the outward journey.

On this experience say 27mpg + benefit of Premium Diesel = say 30mpg.

Then only getting 23mpg = 7mpg less over 260 miles seems alot to attribute to the wind factorwith a low profile motorhome.

Or is this what others find.??????

. Our Chausson on the Mk 7 Ford had a worst of 25 mpg and a best of 29.3 mpg since we've owned it (new in April 2010), depending on the type of driving we're doing (motorway, normal roads, or little roads on the Scottish islands, or even up and down the Pyrenees!!!).

Never seen less than 28mpg and average 32mpg (even averaged 34mpg in june on a 600m round trip to dorset) from our Chausson trannie, driving at 60 sometimes 70mph and thats fully loaded with water and incl a scooter in the garage.  

Guest Tracker

I do monitor my fuel consumption but only to keep an eye on how well the engine is performing over time and to give me an idea of how long a tankful will last.

I really don't care how many mpg I get because I like driving and enjoy travelling and if I had to worry about the cost of fuel I would either sell the van or not go so far!

That said I do say ouch when the credit card gets hit for up to £80 a time!

I don't care either Tracker, just enjoy yourself, life is to short, afterall motorhomes are basically commercial vehicles. I've been down France recently and my 3ltr x250 just loved every hill that was thrown at it. It's a pleasure to sit there and experience the acceleration and pulling power whilst passing large wagons instead of running out of steam when pulling along side them and having to tuck in behind. MPG, not interested.

I use my mpg figures as a early indicator for any problem manifesting itself on both the Motorhome & the Car.

The main reason for the check on our Southampton run was to see if we would benefit using Premium Diesel (in this case Total Excellium) as opposed to Standard Diesel.

So I was surprised at the low figure achieved with the Premium product which is advertised that it gives better mpg.

Has anyone else done any comparison ??

flicka - 2010-10-12 7:53 PM

I use my mpg figures as a early indicator for any problem manifesting itself on both the Motorhome & the Car.

The main reason for the check on our Southampton run was to see if we would benefit using Premium Diesel (in this case Total Excellium) as opposed to Standard Diesel.

So I was surprised at the low figure achieved with the Premium product which is advertised that it gives better mpg.

Has anyone else done any comparison ??

i agree i use my readings to check for any problems and to check my right foot and also to satisfy my own curiosity.just started using new shell in all my vehicles early days buy car and works van seem to run better with slight improvement.will keep monitoring.

Mel B - 2010-10-15 4:37 PM ... Maybe its a Fiat in disguise Kelly!!!!! 8-) ;-) (lol)

If it is its very well disguised and a hell of a lot better than the last Fiat we had.

It was back at Peugeot yesterday for its 1000 mile service / check and they had no problems with it being a Peugeot 2.2 / 130

Guest Tracker
So peoples - is there any truth in this idea that Shell diesel gives more mpg in return for the significantly higher cost - and if so is it enough extra mpg to justify the extra cost?

Hi Tracker,

I just happen to have a Shell garage around the corner from me. It is even cheaper than the supermarket diesel, so I use it all the time.

My van had stood around for a long time before I bought it and I have seen the performance and mpg steadily improve in the past year.

There have been discussions on forums regarding the quality and lack of additives in supermarket fuel. I would still use Shell even if it was a bit more than the supermarkets. I do not use the premium diesel, just the ordinary. The next time we do a long trip, I am thinking of using the higher grade exclusively and then work out my mpg.

As for the best way to check mpg. Keep a log of how much diesel you buy and the mileage when you buy it. Make sure the receipt includes the amount of litres and price per litre. If you brim the tank each time, you can work it out short term. If you can work out a total of litres versus mileage over a long period, it works out more accurate.

Archived