Tracking devices - advice required

Way2Go

We were considering fitting a tracking device to our motorhome and was after some advice about different versions and the feasibility of fitting one.

We store our motorhome away from home at a farm along with a dozen other peeps.  When we're not using it I usually take it out for a quick spin every 3 or 4 weeks to keep everything turning and burning.

Before making a final decision, I have a few questions :-

1. How do the tracking people know it's me driving it and it hasn't been stolen?  I surely don't have to tell them every time I move it and where I'm going and what if it gets knicked while I'm out?

2. Do they rely on me reporting it stolen before they start looking for it?  As it isn't stored at home this could be 3 weeks after the theft and the thing could be abroad by then.

Any advice or recommendations would be great. Thank you.

W2G

We have the system fitted to our motorhome that is reviewed on this site and are very pleased with it.

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/channel/articleitem.asp?article=450

I have managed to set the alarm off on a few occasions and within a minute of it going off have been contacted by the company to enquire if everything is ok and that it is me using the vehicle. This has included false alarms in France and Spain. I have been more than impressed by the response times and also by the company's attitude to my mistakes. "Don't worry about it" is the usual response to my apologies and the fact that these mistakes don't get charged for is a definite plus.

Many thanks for your quick reply Dave.  That looks like a good system.

So, the tracking people only get alerted when the alarm goes off where upon they would phone me to tell me it's been stolen?  Sounds ideal.

As I said, I store our MH away from home and a guy who runs a small business in the next barn told me on the weekend that my alarm went off twice during last week.

I'm assuming then that if I had had this system installed I would have had two phone calls last week whilst the supplier kept an eye on a map to see if the vehicle was moving?

W2G

Like you we store our motorhome a good few miles from us and we like the secure feeling this system provides. We also liked the idea that the company can liaise with the police as to where to stop the vehicle. We also get a reduction on our insurance through having this tracker fitted.

Hi W2G

I had a tracker factory fitted to a Freelander 2 a couple of years ago. I seem to remember it being along the lines that it was also linked into the immobiliser and alarm system. So , when I opened the car with the fob and inserted the fob into the ignition that acted as the approved deactivation of tracker and therefore the warning trigger to the tracking company not being sent.

They could still track the car but because it was by approved method no trigger got sent

Costs alot to have fitted and if you think you will keep the vehicle a few years go with the life time membership not the per year option as that will work out a lot more over time.

it doesn't stop any theft but could help with a quick recovery in the event it was stolen so potentially lessening any damage or total loss.

I have Smartrack fitted by Motorguard. It is excellent and the web site provided allows you to review your journeys giving times, average speeds, actual speeds, maximum speeds, current position etc.The system recognises if the engine has been started using the correct key fob and if moved any other way you get both verbal phone report, text message and Police are informed. Motorguard seems to have the best prices and their fitting service is excellent. Speak to Rav if you can.

Late thought: go for a well reputed, sound, company rather than the number of "bells and whistles" on offer. These devices aren't cheap, and a number of firms have come into the market and subsequently failed, leaving the owners of the trackers "untracked" until they discover what has happened, considerably out of pocket, and in need of a new tracker.

I think AA, RAC, Caravan Club and/or Camping and Caravaning Club may have (or possibly have had) some tie-ups with tracker providers, so it may be worth seeing if they offer any continuity of service if their sponsored provider goes belly up. If you want cover abroad, make sure the provider is geared for this, as I believe some provide UK cover only.

Archived