German Customer Service

Robinhood

Didn't have a good day yesterday >:-( ; As well as finding a nail through the (expensive, low-profile) tyre on the car, I had a disaster trying to free-up the rear steadies on my new Hobby van.

They're telescopic ones made by Sawiko in Germany, and have not been winding freely, so I decided to do a bit of lubrication.

The first side was pretty-well seized, but I managed, with an inordinate amount of force, to free it up, and once sprayed-down with lubricant it was fine.

The one on the other side, however, wouldn't move at all, and in attempting to shift it I broke a small plastic arm that is critical to the steady being held horizontal when retracted; As there was now no way of keeping it up, the whole thing had to come off!

Needless to say, the four bolts securing it to the chassis were not the easiest to get at (and I didn't really want to drop the waste tank!) but I finally removed it after an hour or so.

Even then, on a bench and with all my tools, I was only able to free it with all my effort using a socket and long bar. I don't believe I've been over-tightening when retracting, so either a design fault or a severe reaction to lack of lubrication (the vehicle has only had 3-months of use).

Anyway, to cut to the chase, last night I emailed (in best schoolboy and Google-aided German) the contact address from the Sawiko website to see if I could buy a replacement for the broken bit. Their Sales Manager replied at 8:03 their time, asking for my address so they could invoice me for the part, and as soon as they receive payment they will post it on. I've subsequently exchanged another set of emails about how to pay.

Whilst if it were an English-speaking company I might like to argue the toss about whether the thing should have seized in the first instance, I can't argue that I wasn't a bit boisterous in trying to release it :$ , and I'm quite pleased (and relieved) by the response. It certainly betters most of my experience with UK-based companies.

Now I just have to find the cheapest way of remitting Euros to Germany (though I think I probably have :-) ).

Guest JudgeMental

You can send euros in cash via post office? insured up to £200 I think.

Yes Germany and service.... we have generally forgotten what the word really means in the UK

I must admit my day improved further when the local (independent) tyre firm only charged me £10 for puncture repair, new valve and rebalance, and also didn't mark the alloy rim :-D . (my experience with company cars and the national chains leaves a lot to be desired!!)

Oh if only Fiat UK were as good as Fiat in Germany!

On one new Fiat 'van, whilst travelling through the Eifel region, the ignition light came on . I found that there was a Fiat dealer in a small village nearby and went there. When I say small It was a one man - his dog and a pub and the dealership wasn't much bigger with only 4 or 5 cars outside.

Nevertheless I went in and told the receptionist what the problem was and asked if she could fit the 'van in ( thinking "if this was the UK it will be an appointment in 3 weeks time) The receptionist brought the mechanic who looked at the 'van straight away and announce that the alternator was "kaput". I said but it is only 6 weeks old - he said it is still kaput and to cap it all it isn't the standard fit - it's the one used for buses and ambulances and he didn't have one in stock right now.

Again thinking this is going to be the usual Fiat 6 week wait for spares I aske how long it would take to get one.

The reply was please park over there for the night where you will have a beautiful view of the Eifel region and we will plug you in to the electric and fit your new alternator 1st thing in the morning - wht happened next I hear you say!

By 9am the following morning we were on our way - cost free! - and we were wished a happy and pleasant stay in Germany.

Fiat UK take heed!

And a thumbs-up for Fiat ,France.

Having imported my van in January from Germany,the last thing to check in winter was the aircon ! Whilst down in S.W. France in May we discovered the aircon was not working. We rang a Fiat garage near Auch (or rather the camp site owner ,did as translation was a slight problem !!)

We were seen within 2 hours and diagnosed with a hole in a pipe releasing the refrigerant. Parts had to come overnight from Paris so the garage said they would ring to tell us if the parts were delivered to save a wasted trip. Rang next day and repaired in an hour as we waited, not the UK ...come back at closing time !!

Signed a warranty claim and nothing to pay.

Archived