Window Lube

Ivys

Hello,

Assuming there are no kinks in the channels that the glass runs in, you can lubricate the fabric channels with a silicone product. We use a stick of such product from 'Wurth' called 'gummi-fit' but I doubt you will find any of that...

If you ask at somewhere like Halfords they should be able to supply you with a silicone maintenance spray of some kind. Wind the window down fully and apply the spray to the inside edges of the channels and it might be best to mask off the area first so that there is no possibility of the stuff getting on anywhere other than where you want it to be. You will not need much of it.

Don't use any of the dashboard dressing silicone type products because all they do is cause a sticky mess that attracts dirt. Not what you need.

Nick

PS Well done Bob, you beat me by 4 mins!

If you ask at somewhere like Halfords they should be able to supply you with a silicone maintenance spray of some kind. Wind the window down fully and apply the spray to the inside edges of the channels and it might be best to mask off the area first so that there is no possibility of the stuff getting on anywhere other than where you want it to be. You will not need much of it.

Thanks Nick, I'll head off to Halfords...

Rog

Guest pelmetman

In the curtain trade we use silicone spray for the tracks, it is very good and wont leave any residue.

If you try a proper curtain shop they will be able to order it for you if they dont have any in stock.

I'm down to my last few tins that I ordered years ago :D .................thought I'd ordered 5 tins got 5 boxes :D (lol)

Talcum Powder works amazingly well and is very long lasting. Wind the window right down and put some in the top of the grove. Wind the window up and down a couple of times to get the powder distributed. Repeat the process if required. It works every bit as well as silicon lubricants and will work for much longer.

If used on the habitation window seals and on roof vent seals as well it will also stop the windows sticking shut.

I would suggest for the window channels you use a teflon based dry film lubricant and not silicon. There must be a reason for it sticking as the channels are fleece coated using a self lubricating synthetic material and should not give problems. It may be they have got contaminated and need a good clean with mild detergent and water and left to dry. The sticking windows may not even be the channels or horizonal door seals, but winding mechanism needing greased.

If you really wish to use silicon then an easy option is to use furniture polish/cleaner such as Mr Sheen and use very sparingly, but I still go back to recommending a dry film lubricant.

p.s. You will get dry film lubricant in most cycle shops for a few pounds.

You canget dry film or silicone sprays from most engineering type suppliers as it is sold as "Mould release spray" and is used in the plastic moulding industry to stop plastic sticking to the moulds.

Archived