2004 Swift Suntor 630L on Fiat Ducato Chassis

Guest 1949mick

Guest 1949mick

Hi to all, I'm new to this forum so please bear with me.

I hope to buy the above Motorhome shortly. Does anybody know of any problems with this Model. It has the Fiat 2.8 JTD engine. I have heard of a few engine problems, relating to water in the fuel system. Any help/advice would be most welcome

1949mick

I had a 2004 530LP on a 2.8 Fiat but basically the same. It had no problems at all. The Fiat engine while noisy compared to current one pulled well and showed good economy. All M/H have problems so just treat it as you would any vehicle, have a good look round and test everything.

Hello,

I have never heard of any water getting into the fuel on any Ducato at all. I have run about 100 of these vehicles as vans, many have covered 250 to 300,000 miles and there are very few problems to watch out for with the engine.

If you have any problems starting it, it is normally a leaking injector.

If you have any coolant loss at all get it checked quickly because if you run it without water it will be ruined. (This goes for any vehicle but although the Fiat goes into a 'limp' mode when hot, it will not tell you if the coolant level is low).

Check that there is no rumbling coming from the front wheel bearings. For some reason 2002 to 2005 vans suffer badly with this but the later 2005 and 2006 ones don't. I can't explain it but it's true.

If there is any oil leaking from between the gearbox and the engine it will need a new seal which means removing the box. Very common on higher mileage vans.

The oil sump may become porous and require replacement. If it looks a bit rusty, get it cleaned and painted ASAP.

The heater matrix may leak and will be a very big and nasty job involving the complete removal of the dashboard. Very common problem.

For some reason 2005 was a bad year for differentials failing, normally happens before vehicle has done 30,000 miles. Had a few of those done under warranty.

The often reported fault with 5th gear is less likely on 2002 to 2006 vans, but it does still happen on less well driven vans. Not likely to be a problem with yours.

That is about it really. They are no worse than anything else on the road, and I am sure better than Ford at that age. You can be reasonably confident to purchase that vehicle, but make sure it has had a cambelt done before you have it; whatever the mileage.

Nick

Guest 1949mick
Thanks rupert123 & euroserve for the pointers / advice. Although the vehicle has a full service history, I don't think the Timing belt has been done on the millage but it should have been done at least once on time alone basis. I will check with the dealer

Archived