Is it just us?

Hazy Baby

After five glorious weeks travelling the byways of France we had to reluctantly return home last Sunday the 10th. We wanted to visit a sick relative in Hampshire before coming home to Sheffield so thought we would call into the Caravan Club site at Fareham for a couple of nights. Now as you seasoned travellers know France is motorhome heaven and we have stayed on a mixture of aires and some cracking sites and never once been asked "have you booked?" We arrive at the CC site mid afternoon to be greeted by this remark. An appropriate question perhaps and so we said "no but could we have a pitch for two nights please?" We could already see from the whiteboard chart (I know............!!!!) that there were lots of free pitches. So the very polite lady at Reception says "you should always phone ahead you know as we were full last night"!! I and hubby in unison say "Yes you would have been but its Sunday today and last night we were overlooking Dieppe marina in France, bathed in glorious sunshine and wish we were still there" No comment from her except to say to the other campers who by now were in Reception "not another off roader". We mentioned that we never went off road just on the road which is what a motorhome is designed to do. We should have also added that others may want to book weeks if not months ahead and stay on site with an attached awning for a month and this is their right, each to their own, but we do not do this. I for one was seething as I left Reception and if I was the type I would have felt humilated by been told off for having the audacity not to follow "the rules". Hubby is a much calmer sort. He just said "vive la France" or something similar under his breath. So is it just us this happens to and is it just us that get ever so slightly irritated by it? All we wanted was a pitch for two nights on a site with plenty spare! In France - "have you a pitch?" - "Oui, choose one and pay when you leave" Brilliant! We have by the way been CC members for 35 years - obviously have a masochistic streak!

No it definitely is NOT just you.

I've been boring folk to death about this sort of practice from the CC for longer than I care to remember.

Well bin your membership, I hear some shout. No, because in essence the Club is a very good product and carries a very good branding but by golly there's room for improvement.

That said, if pitch availability continues to be as poor as it is for us in The Frozen North, (try and get say, Fri - Mon within 1 hour of Blackburn and you'll see what I mean), I can see our membership lapsing in time. CL's aside, (which we use), there are some sites we'd like to use, as you would, that's partly why we joined.

I think it's time they used some of their huge cash reserves to heavily discount even further, the pitches available mid week to potentially free up some week end pitches for those of us still working. Or at least run a pilot scheme or 3.

It's all well and good having £XXXXXXXX of reserves to buy sites but when they're not coming up for grabs, lets free up some pitches with the dosh instead.

And before anyone chimes in with have you told the club, the answer is yes.

Martyn

You may well not be alone in this, I have no idea, but the CC sites remain among the best and best run around and that includes the whole of Europe. They do have their way of doing things and you either choose to go with them or not. The reception was probably quite correct in that is better to book ahead as they are often full, why anyone would take exception to this is beyond me. As for the rest you telling them you would rather be somewhere else may have something to do with it.

Guest pelmetman

We have been members of the CC for 15 years and have the sticker to prove it, but I am beginning to wonder if I will get my 20 year sticker (lol)

The pitches seem to be getting smaller, and unless you book weeks ahead, months even for the more popular sites you will not get a weekend pitch, and for some funny reason Wednesdays seem to get booked up :-S

This year I actualy put in a complaint about pitch 92 at Incleboro Fields, its not a big pitch, but we are not a large unit (under 20') but even so we could not park in the prescribed manner of nose or tail to the peg easily, so parked sideways to the peg :D

What we did not realise when we pitched, that there was a right of way through the pitch...........Not past but Through (!)

If I had parked in the correct manner then the right of way would be through my Cab!!, as we parked sideways the right of way was through where we would of put our awning >:-(

Normally I dont think it would of been a problem except for some regulars on the pitch a couple doors away, who saw the right of way as their property, and as they pointed out to us after I got fed up with a regular stream of traffic every 10, 20 minutes "We've been coming here for 20 years thats our right of way" All though they had to walk past 2 other exits to get to ours!

It soon became apparant that the pitch was totally unsuitable as the constant traffic wound up both us our friends and our dogs *-)

Fortunatly the next door pitch became available the next day, so moved next to the "Regulars" which did not please them as I made any excuse to go to my trailer which has a noisey roller door >:-) Childish I know :$

We got quite a few vists from the wardens as our neighbours complained about the size of our awning our dogs etc etc

We did speak to the wardens about the right of way, and made some comments in the site book, which disappeared 8-) Apparantly they did not like me refering to our neighbours as the "Rambling Taliban" and thought it would be offensive to muslims!...........I rest my case *-)

Wrote to the club. Even made some practical suggestions to prevent future problems :D Just got the usual lip service response *-)

Guest JudgeMental

we are reluctantly members as when we use the van in the UK there is not that much choice.......would be different if we had an Aires network.:-|

Basically being a caravan setup, intrinsically snobby, middle class jobs worths, has a lot to do with it :D

Guest pelmetman

I have noticed more and more these days that the vast majority of people are using there own on board shower and hence never go to the shower block.

To this end I think the Club should look into obtaining more sites like Top Lodge where you have electric hook up but no shower block, this would free up a lot of money to obtain more sites.

Personally when on Club Sites we always use the showers, can't see the point in spending all that money to just use the tap and disposal point.

Sue

pelmetman - 2010-10-15 4:25 PM

I have noticed more and more these days that the vast majority of people are using there own on board shower and hence never go to the shower block.

To this end I think the Club should look into obtaining more sites like Top Lodge where you have electric hook up but no shower block, this would free up a lot of money to obtain more sites.

Personally when on Club Sites we always use the showers, can't see the point in spending all that money to just use the tap and disposal point.

Sue

The point in spending all that money for a tap and disposal point is occasionally for just one thing - the location of the site.

Some locations just don't have practical alternatives, (CL, commercial or wild for those that do that sort of thing), so unless you're happy to camp in car parks and the like, (and that's no slight on those that do), what can you do?

We had very good reasons to visit York 2 years ago and were forced to stay on a commercial site well outside of the city. What a ball ache that was, endless queueing for buses, nothing nearby just one average pub.

So there are times when, (for us) a site, in a certain location is what we're happy to pay for. But now even that's slowly going out the window.

Martyn

Hi, I have been a CC member for in excess of 25 years and cannot offer any significant criticism, rather complement them on their clean , tidy, sites in excellent locations, . If I have a criticism, it is that their site fees are top rates, with no discounts unlike CCC who offer reductions for "us oldies"

I expect their opening question was to enable them to quickly locate your booking if you had one and they would immediately know your names, van details,etc and have a suggested pitch already for you.

In the event they had a vacancy, and you were able to stay, and I feel that the suggestion that you should book in future was a friendly advice to avoid you being dissappointed in future.

As others have suggested you can always vote with you feet next time.

Tonyg3nwl

Hazy Baby - 2010-10-15 2:12 PM

We arrive at the CC site mid afternoon to be greeted by this remark ["have you booked?"].

An appropriate question perhaps and so we said "no but could we have a pitch for two nights please?" We could already see from the whiteboard chart (I know............!!!!) that there were lots of free pitches.

So the very polite lady at Reception says "you should always phone ahead you know as we were full last night"!!

I and hubby in unison say "Yes you would have been but its Sunday today and last night we were overlooking Dieppe marina in France, bathed in glorious sunshine and wish we were still there"

No comment from her except to say to the other campers who by now were in Reception "not another off roader". We mentioned that we never went off road just on the road which is what a motorhome is designed to do.

Hmmm, if the way your writing comes across is anything to go by, it would seem you were a little bit 'flippant' in your responses to the polite lady receptionist who was just trying to actually be helpful by suggesting you phone ahead to ensure you don't get there and can't get a pitch in the future. I think if I'd had the bit of a 'clever dick' retort from you about wishing you were still in France etc I don't think I'd have been very chuffed. However, that doesn't make up for her then saying about you being an "off roader", but it is understandable, and at least that is all that she said.

Don't get me wrong, I know you won't have though or meant to come across as you may have, but I would imagine that the warden had had a hard day with lots of people booking out etc and to then get what may have appeared to her to be a 'smart Alec' won't have gone down very well.

Overall I would call this one a draw! :D

We're in the CCC, but never use the "Club" sites. We only joined so we could accesss their (our?) CSs, since there are no Aires to speak of in the UK.

I'd turn Pelmetman's comment the other way round - why would I spend all that money on a van WITH full facilities, if I wanted to use the ones on sites (and pay site fees to match)?

Tony Jones - 2010-10-15 8:54 PM

We're in the CCC, but never use the "Club" sites. We only joined so we could accesss their (our?) CSs, since there are no Aires to speak of in the UK.

I'd turn Pelmetman's comment the other way round - why would I spend all that money on a van WITH full facilities, if I wanted to use the ones on sites (and pay site fees to match)?

It's quite simple really Tony, occasionally, as I said earlier, there are times when a site in a certain location will only suffice - for some of us. Please read, if you haven't already, my earlier posting.

There are some folk around, my Wife for example who will cheerfully help me with water fetching and carrying in order to facilitate her need, (which is personal) to use our own shower. Even if on a site.

After all, as you say, we've spent all that money, we can choose how we utilise what we spent it on.

Vive la difference!

Martyn

Thanks for all the response. Some "for", some "against". I agree that my post may have come across as a bit aggressive but I can assure all I was only put in a bad mood by the lady warden when for the umpteenth time at a CC site we were made to feel as if we had done something wrong by turning up to ask if a pitch is available. The replies always seem laced with some sarcasm. We know we always run the risk of there not being any vacancies. We accept this and in no way object to being asked if we have booked just the response we get time after time if we say "no". As has been said the clue re the response is in the club's name. On the whole though I agree with Mel - its a draw! Perhaps (only perhaps!!!!) we were overly tetchy and perhaps (only perhaps!!!!) the lady had had a very busy frustrating day......................I'll take more deep breaths next time!

If it is the 'umpteenth' time you have come across it then it is definitly you. I have done the same thing and have had the 'you should book' advice but never in an unpleasant way. Most years my wife and I go to York around the start of December for a short break and some Christmas shopping. We always stay on the CC site at Rowntree Park and always book late. Telephoned the site last week, website indicated it was full, as usual, but reception was as ever helpfull and we got three nights start December no problem. They did point out it was a small pitch but in winter we have no intention of sitting outside so no problems. Some posts on here show this strange aversion to the CC, why, as had been said if you do not like it do not join. They seem regimented to some but so does any well run company, they have ways of doing things and employees have to stick with them. They are called the Caravan Club because they have always been that, what do you suggest they do? This weird idea they are somehow against M/H is just that, weird, why would they go to the bother of having M/H service points. The same thing about why buy a van with shower if you are not going to use it. Well it is hard to buy one without these days and a lot, like us, do use it if we staying on aires etc but we prefer sites and prefer using their facilities if they are clean. M/H showers/toilets are cramped and take a lot of cleaning properly so use of site facilities as much as possible makes sense. We are also on holiday so want to stay in a pleasant secure place, not a car park, so again sites are usually best. We do stay on aires/ stellplatz etc but only if they are good ones and despite what anyone thinks these are few and far between. Most good ones usually charge now, especially in Germany, we paid 17 euro for one on the romantic road in September. Why do people keep on about the UK not having an aire system, most countries in Europe do not. I can only think most of you have never been outside the France, Germany, Italy triangle. We to spend most of our time in France but are not blind to its shortcomings, if only they had a system of sites as good as the Caravan Club. Incidently for those who think the CC is expensive York was £15 a night for this December, Camping Memling, at Brugge 20 Euro for a site that does not begin to compare.

I've stayed at CC sites twice in 25 years and both have been the worst camping experience I've ever had.

The last time was June this year at Winchester went something like this:

We arrived a 8:10pm having been stuck in a traffic jam for over an hour, was met by Sargent major type warden standing outside reception:-

"You can't come in"

"Why not I've booked I'm Mr B***"

"You can't come in it's gone 8"

"Sorry we are a bit late been stuck in a traffic jam for an hour"

"You can't come in it's against club rules no new arrivals after 8"

"But other are driving in & out Can't you let us onto our pitch & we can sort it out in the morning"

"It's against club rules & we will loose our licence, you can park out there (outside of gate) & we won't charge the pitch fee"

Didn't have much option as we we meeting friends there.

The Gents stunk from a leaking urinal that they had not bothered to stop anyone using, next morning awoke to smell of their sess pit wafting over the site.

Next morning greeted by just as charming Mrs St. Major.

I HATE CC sites I only stay a member for the CL's

Hi Again, I have just looked up the club handbook in relation to the Winchester site, and it does say that there can be NO ARRIVALS BEFORE MIDDAY OR AFTER DARK/8PM. It also says that there is no late arrivals area so technically the warden had the right to refuse entry..

I am unsure about the possibility of the club losing its licence if it doesnt comply, but wonder if it is a planning restraint somehow.. I would suggest an explanation could be sought from club HQ. However I wonder also if it related to "elf n safety" issues or hours of employment restrictions due to legislation.

I am surprised that the warden suggested you stay outside the gate as they dont have a late arrivals area and the road is a public highway. Not sure what the local Authority or Police woud do if they decided to be stroppy.

With regard to the cleanliness of the facilities, I would have spoken to the warden to see if he was aware of the problem, and subsequently reported it to Club HQ with a view to getting it resolved asap.

Better luck next time

Tonyg3nwl

Bristol have the same rule Tony and if you go their it is easy to see why. Like many city sites thing are tight, with no room for comings and goings at the same time. I have seen rants about this as well when people turn up early and are refused entry. Of course like Lenny it is always the sites fault, the fact that these rules are applied with good reason seems to pass them by. Also I would assume that if the site is closed the wardens also finish at that time but again it must be their fault if you turn up late and they are a little put out. I turned up late at Kielder a few years ago, for the same reason as Lenny, traffic. However I realised I was going to be late so my wife telephoned ahead, the warden kindly waited for us and booked us in before they completed their computor shutdown for the night. I have no reason to feel strongly about the CC either way, have not used them yet this year at all but object to people who ignore the rules then blame all and sundry for problems that occur. As for the toilets I have never, ever come across a CC site with dirty facilities. I know they clean between 10-12am so must assume a problem occured here later in the day and they were not told about it, it happens.

There was a late arrivals area, but it is the altitude of the wardens I object to, rude and offensive.

I did consider complaining to the CC but decided why waste my time they probably wouldn't take any notice.

I've stupidly assumed the definition of a 'club' is an organisation run by it's members for the benefit of it's members, certainly does not apply in the case of the CC.

The only reason I can see for anyone staying at a CC site is they are old enough to have been conscripted into to the services and miss being bullied by a St. Major.

Like Hazel says what a pleasant surprise it is when you arrive at a site in France and are welcomed with open arms.

Must agree with Henry, I've been a CC member for nearly 9 years and never had anything but courtesy and helpfulness of the wardens. Sites and toilets always spotless and warm.

Although I agree I also feel the prices could be lowered at high season (far to high) but I suppose the facilities you get may justify the service received.

Dave

If I had to rely on the attitude of the folks that run the established sites in the UK I would probably give up motorhoming!

There is no equivalent to the French Aires system unfortunately but.... if you just need a short notice overnight stay you only have to ask a publican if you can overnight in his car park.

Most are happy to say yes, especially if you patronise their bar, even if you have to pay a fiver its cheap! If you're lucky you'll get access to a fresh water tap and somewhere to empty as well.

If you're not happy asking 'cold' there are websites that list 'motorhome friendly pubs' (just Google it) and you can even plan a little in advance.

We just finished a visit to the UK and stayed at a few pubs that we list and found it to be a very pleasant experience. No stuffiness whatsoever :-D .

Archived