Returning with dog to GB.

Mr. Grumpy

In view of the possible problems with ferries next week does anyone know for certain what rules apply if we have our dog checked by a French vet then get delayed for more than 48 hours after the time entered on the dogs' passport? If we check in at the port within the 48 hour dead line then don't arrive in Dover until after the deadline will be allowed back in?

I think you should be alright as long as you do not leave the area where you need passports. However, to be sure I have just telephoned the quarantine line (+441245454860) but unfortunately info on answer phone says that they are only open Monday to Friday.

Seeing as the checking of the dog passport is done by the people who book you onto the boat in Calais, I would have thought that there won't be a problem if you are waiting on the quayside after booking in. I've never had anyone at Dover check the dogs' paperwork.

You are right - that could be a real possibility. I will try to see if there is a vet within walking distance of the port so that you can drive in, park and then visit the vet. Would this help?

I was intending to start back on next Saturday so that I can get the rabies booster done in England where it lasts for 3 years. However, I may very well get it done here in France, even though it is an annual licience here, and hang on here for a while until strike threats are less - can always hope!

Thats a good question Mr.G. and if you find out the answer I think many of us on here would be interested :-S

I was thinking that once you have passed through the Pets Passport area! as at the Tunnel that is where we get checked, we would be O.K. but if you are stopped outside the port there could be a problem!!

I think we should all watch the news and if any threat of a strike, either delay going to the Vets until its over ( I know we would be penalised and maybe have to pay a surcharge) but I would rather do that than have to have my dogs done again in a short time.

Latest update I have found:

At 13.00 French time the president of the petrol union said that the situation is calm after a bad day yesterday and that delviveries are taking place all over France to service stations and airports. This is due mostly to allowing 44 ton lorries to make deliveries.

However, the ferries are affected by personnel problems I think which is a different matter and the strike for Tuesday seems to be gathering momentum.

The nearest vet I can find to the port at Calais is by Bleriot Plage: Christianne Petry, 1148 Bd Gen de Gaulle, 62100 Calais Tel 03 21 34 77 39. If you can get on pagesjaunes.fr you can see a map. It looks a fair walk though to the port but possibly near to the camping area.

will try to phone DEFRA in the morning to see what their advice is.

Patricia, perhaps you're just more shady looking than I am! ;-)

It might be worth checking that if you've checked in and then delayed, can you leave your van, and possibly one person in it, in the "secure" area of the docks while you leave to go into town.

Bad news for anyone travelling with an animal. I have just phoned DEFRA quarantine and asked if people had actually booked in for the ferry but it was delayed would the animal be allowed to travel? He did not know but rang me back and said, "No - the animal would have to be treated again".

Sorry Tomo but I forgot to ask that question.

Yes Patricia that is what I was worried about :-S the restrictions are ridiculous, if your in the van and only walking the dog on the port how can they possibly be a risk? red tape again!!

As France seems to have an annual strike!!!or seems like it we will have to be vigilant! I don't know about bigger breeds but I certainly don't want my two chihuahua,s to be dozed twice.

Archived