Internal Blinds

Kris

As we couldnt find any internal blinds to fit our cab windows I purchased some universal fitting ones and altered them myself. Took a while but quite easy really. My question now is , and forgive me if it sounds really stupid, but how do I store them, if they are not going to be used all the time, specially for several weeks during the winter. Does the material, the shiny side, split if folded for too long, and do you leave the suction pads in place or take them off each time you put the blinds away.

This sounds daft even as I write it, but after all my hard work, and very painful hands and sore fingers, I would hate it if next time we used them they started to split where they had been folded.

Kris

Mine were supplied rolled up in a tubular bag but since owning them I have always stored them simply folded, never had a problem with them splitting. I (well my wife) also made some for the back windows of our van conversion, she made a neat job and again we just store them folded in half.

First thing to clarify - are we talking of the usual squish material type ones (dull silver both sides with wadding in the middle), or thinner plastic type ones?

If the squishy ones, they won't come to any harm at all rolled up and packed away, leaving the suction cups on.

If the thinner plastic type ones, then they do unfortunately tend to deteriorate over time as you unfold and fold them again, if you can roll them instead rather than folding them on the same creases, it would solve this problem.

Thanks for your replies. I just wondered how other people store their blinds when not in use.

The blinds we have were bought from Towsure.

They are grey on the inside and silver on the window side, with several layers inbetween, of silver, and other material which looks like very thin foam and a fleecy material. They are quite padded.

After hunting around for ones to fit our windows and couldnt find any, I thought altering ready made ones was a good idea, and they look ok.

I dont know how good the more expensive makes are, but if anyone else is having trouble finding blinds to fit, its worth having a go yourself, and a lot cheaper.

Kris - 2010-10-17 2:36 AM

They are grey on the inside and silver on the window side, with several layers inbetween, of silver, and other material which looks like very thin foam and a fleecy material. They are quite padded.

They sound very similar to the blinds we have used in the past. They were just rolled up and kept in a long bag (screen height) with drawstring at the end. The blinds did not come to any harm.

I unpicked them and used them seperately as internal blinds on the screens just to stop hot sunlight on the dashboard.

(Do not use them now as we have internal blinds fitted as standard. OK for stopping the sun, but not a lot of good for colder camping.)

Rgds

Archived